The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

Nagas

Very, VERY nice photos in this thread. Steve, love those BW portraits, beautiful. Joe, the Cadillac shots are stunning. The second one is just awesome. I am falling in love, painfully, with the way that Sonnar draws the out of focus areas...

pophoto

"The Sony DSC-RX1 produces superb images, with a fantastic amount of detail, colour and dynamic range. It really is the best image quality you'll get in something of this size."
That's an excerpt from the very same test:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Yeah, I just summarized the headline I read on Sonyalpharumors and then linked the URL directly to the review, it was just a FYI for another review. Personally I love camera, but only really shoot raw with it, so I not really one who knows or cares about the OOC jpeg quality.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Beautiful photos Mike. What a nice holiday treat.
Mark & Joe - I appreciate the comments. I'm definitely enjoying the RX1. I also brought along my A99, and used it for some shots, but the RX1 is so small and liberating, that it's getting the most use.

I find myself mainly shooting without the EVF (which I have purchased), as I can get more creative angles by holding the camera away from my face. I think the EVF will become much more important when shooting outdoors, landscapes, etc., where careful composition is critical.

Also - the high ISO capability of this camera is fantastic. I have set max auto ISO to 3200, and just shoot away, not worrying about what ISO the camera selects. I also like that the camera tends to pick 1/80s as the slowest shutter speed before bumping ISO to get the exposure. This gives me a lot of freedom and worry-free shooting in Aperture-Priority mode, which is the only way I like to shoot.

barjohn

I like seeing family photos because it shows what can be done with this camera that looks to everyone like a P&S.

I hope this little series doesn't bore you but here are a few shots of my two grand children (Cousins 9 days apart Norah & Quinn's first Christmas)

I hope you enjoy.

V

Vivek

Nice.:) The one with the scratches is a boy?

(Whether you like it or not, it is a P&S cam and it will always be one, even if you buy all the accessories that Sony lists)

barjohn

Thanks Howard.

Vivek, I agree, it is a P&S and that is what makes it work so well in that people really ignore it in ways they didn't with my other cameras. It just is non-threatening and when they see the images they just can't believe they came from that little camera. Needless to say, I don't mention the cost. :) Oh! and yes the scratched and dented one is the boy.

John, are right about it being a P&S and people ignoring it in ways. I get a completely different reaction from people when I point my S2 at them - it seems they recognize it as a serious camera (probably due to size) and then they act more conscious about getting their photo taken - they are not as candid as when I point the RX1 at them.

Shashin

Lots of weather today--just like Hawaii, but with less sunshine. We will be stuck in a nor'easter for a day or so with 10-14 inches of snow predicted to fall by the end. Where in the menu is the "Clean Driveway" function?

Enjoying the family snaps and the cold snap.

Did a bridal shoot today.
Just before the bride stepped outside I took this shot with the Rx1.
Processed with silver efex pro to give a bit of a high key look.
1/250 f/2 iso1600.
Here you go.

Last edited: