Site Sponsors
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the RX-1

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the RX-1

And the second, I like this one better

And the conversion, might be the best of the lot to my eye.

Mat
    http://matrichardson.com/
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you for your greeting!
    Fantastic landscape from a little camera!
    Pramote

Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    Indeed, welcome Pramote, I was wondering when you'd get here! Enjoy this little camera, it's superb.

Tonight I scaled down the landscapes and took a few closer shots, the birch leaves are beginning to drop here, soon we will have winter!

Anyway, I took 2 shots and converted them to B&W as well, I think I may prefer the conversions.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Concentration:

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Took this several months ago. Sometimes the gestation period between pressing the shutter and processing the image is loooooonngggggg!

-----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

16th Street Mall, Downtown Denver, CO

Post Thanks / Like

Evening!

After a long day in the garden, raking, mowing, raking, strimming, raking, getting blisters and back-ache, I've decided that having a big bit of garden that is half forest is a bloody stupid idea! Anyway, I took a few pics at dusk of the turning Silver Birch leaves, I like this one particularly.

Mat
    http://matrichardson.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well this is interesting...I just checked into this board and see familiar faces from other boards...the little RX1 series must be popular. I've had my RX1R for two weeks now and can't put it down!!! My other cameras have taken a back seat! I have the Sony EVF (tho don't always use it), the sony lens hood and the Really Right Stuff base place and handle (which make handling much easier). Here are a couple of recent images...I'm using this camera for everything...landscapes, street shooting, and stuff in general. It's amazing!! Eleanor

Eleanor Brown
    http://www.eleanorbrown.com
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Denver Art Meuseum

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Denver Public Library

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by eleanorbrown View Post
    Well this is interesting...I just checked into this board and see familiar faces from other boards...the little RX1 series must be popular. I've had my RX1R for two weeks now and can't put it down!!! My other cameras have taken a back seat! I have the Sony EVF (tho don't always use it), the sony lens hood and the Really Right Stuff base place and handle (which make handling much easier). Here are a couple of recent images...I'm using this camera for everything...landscapes, street shooting, and stuff in general. It's amazing!! Eleanor

Fantastic Eleanor! Long time no see!
    You have exactly the same setting as mine. It's a fantastic little camera.
    Pramote

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Pramote! Yes I'm having a ball with this little camera! Ill be posting some more here on the forum! Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by Landscapelover View Post
    Fantastic Eleanor! Long time no see!
    You have exactly the same setting as mine. It's a fantastic little camera.
    Pramote

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is harvest season here.

As usual, our blackberries have been giving us tons of fruit. About three to four pounds every other day and this goes on for three to four weeks. The tomatoes have not been so good, but they will give us plenty to eat as well.
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Attachment 76391

First day of Spring...

Post Thanks / Like

RX1 for architecture!

-----
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Downtown Denver

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Denver Public Library

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Denver Art Museum Complex

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For some reason I can't resist photographing flowers. This set is from the Portland International Rose Garden last June. I was lucky and caught a short rain shower just as I arrived at the garden.

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My first contribution from the RX-1r. Last week on our lake. Used a B&W grey grad that I managed to buy a day before, by chance, in the 49mm diameter.

Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow! Masterful!

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Moved from the RX-1 to the 1r......

Seems to be a good choice...for me.

Sony RX-1R

Anniversary Bouquet

Downtowner

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

RX-1 Colors

Coming from a humble Nex 5, I'm obviously impressed with the quality of the RX1 shots posted here, and I bow in awe before the skill of the photographers. What touches me particularly is the color rendition (e.g., the death valley shots by Joe, the Net Fence by Helena, and many others). On my Nex, I often just can't get it right despite shooting RAW and tweaking in Lightroom 5. Sunsets seem especially difficult, and the last sunset I truly liked dates back to my film days.

As an example, consider the following shot (RAW). It was taken in gorgeous golden hour light, but no matter what I do (WB, contrast, etc.) it looks either too dull or too yellow, and never golden. There's also a difference in tones between face, sand, and bridge that doesn't look natural to me.

Are there ways I can improve color rendition with my Nex (such as WB adjustment on site), or can I use this as an excuse to justify the purchase of an RX1?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: RX-1 Colors

Quote Originally Posted by gnarzwarz View Post
    Coming from a humble Nex 5, I'm obviously impressed with the quality of the RX1 shots posted here, and I bow in awe before the skill of the photographers. What touches me particularly is the color rendition (e.g., the death valley shots by Joe, the Net Fence by Helena, and many others). On my Nex, I often just can't get it right despite shooting RAW and tweaking in Lightroom 5. Sunsets seem especially difficult, and the last sunset I truly liked dates back to my film days.

As an example, consider the following shot (RAW). It was taken in gorgeous golden hour light, but no matter what I do (WB, contrast, etc.) it looks either too dull or too yellow, and never golden. There's also a difference in tones between face, sand, and bridge that doesn't look natural to me.

Are there ways I can improve color rendition with my Nex (such as WB adjustment on site), or can I use this as an excuse to justify the purchase of an RX1?
    I have shot inages like that on film. I would think exposure as well as WB are the reasons. Easy to play around with both. As you allude to, the RX1 will not turn out to be a magical tool on its own(despite all the tech advantages it has over a NEX5).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gnarzwarz View Post

It is a matter of learning how to see and controlling your process. One of the hardest things in color photography is to be able to judge color and judge color as "natural." (And what you imagined you saw may not actually be what you saw, and the camera will "see" in its own way.) While I would like to say all you have to do is X, Y, and Z, it is just not that simple. It is going to come from experience and learning. All of this is independent of the camera. (Naturally, you color manage your working environment.)

BTW, if you are getting your contrast, but the color seem to be too saturated, then just desaturate. Contrast does change saturation.

Post Thanks / Like

@Vivek, thanks for the comments -- you're confirming my worst fears. ;-)

@Shashin, looking at your wonderful cloud picture #802, did you do anything in particular to get the gorgeous colors? How did you set WB? I've shot skies like this but never came even close.

Post Thanks / Like

I am extremely pleased with the colour rendition of my RX1. Perhaps a tad oversaturated but I'd rather reduce saturation than try to increase it. Also, very very sharp when corrected in Lightroom 5.

I am quite attracted to a second body, either the Nex-5 or 7 since the announcement of the 16-70 Carl Zeiss f4 zoom. Together with the RX1 that would make a useful combination for my kind of photography.

However, my assumption has always been that I would get the same look with a Nex camera as I do with my RX1.

Is this the case?

LouisB

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post

I am quite attracted to a second body, either the Nex-5 or 7 since the announcement of the 16-70 Carl Zeiss f4 zoom.

LouisB
    Louis, One big advantage of a compact or P&S being a standalone unit is that you can choose any brand and any system. Why restrict yourself to a Sony or a NEX?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

However, my assumption has always been that I would get the same look with a Nex camera as I do with my RX1.

Is this the case?

LouisB
    No, each sensor is unique and comparing my RX1 images to my NEX shots illustrates that plainly.

That said, the signatures are much closer than a comparison between Fuji X cameras and NEX or the RX1 and my Ricoh GR...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Louis, One big advantage of a compact or P&S being a standalone unit is that you can choose any brand and any system. Why restrict yourself to a Sony or a NEX?
    Vivek,

It looks like Louis is looking at a system camera for his second body and is wondering if the NEX sensor would behave similar to the RX1.

I can understand wanting to "keep it in the family" for workflow management, especially if you have a distinct style you wish to replicate across cameras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Neo Soul singer, Natasha Lee. Shot for Red Bull at the Red Bull Sound Select show in Austin, TX, last Saturday...

Post Thanks / Like

SP - Sweet!!!!!! +10
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    Neo Soul singer, Natasha Lee. Shot for Red Bull at the Red Bull Sound Select show in Austin, TX, last Saturday...

[

Chad,

I understood that. None of the NEX' ((I have most of them) can do an image like you show. The DR is not there at all.

The hope is the rumored FF NEX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yup, agreed. I do think the Sony cameras share a color signature but the DR of the RX1 is tops.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I have both Sigma DPx and the Sony RX1 cameras and they are horses for courses.

No, each sensor is unique and comparing my RX1 images to my NEX shots illustrates that plainly.

That said, the signatures are much closer than a comparison between Fuji X cameras and NEX or the RX1 and my Ricoh GR...
    I really like the RX1 sensor - I think it is the best sensor in any digital camera I have owned.

Vivek,

It looks like Louis is looking at a system camera for his second body and is wondering if the NEX sensor would behave similar to the RX1.

I can understand wanting to "keep it in the family" for workflow management, especially if you have a distinct style you wish to replicate across cameras.
    I am definitely looking at a system camera. The compacts are nice but I now have the problem that I am lugging three compacts! Not much different to a single camera and three lenses.

I was thinking about a Sony A99 because I like the sensor in the RX1 so much but I'm not convinced about the range of lenses available.

Next, I thought about the Nikon D600, on the assumption that it is probably using the same sensor. And Zeiss glass. But as with the A99, it is bigger and heavier than I really want.

Finally, I am actually thinking of going back to m43rds(!) despite my negativity towards the system, the lenses are good and (perhaps?) the improvements in the dynamic range of the sensors in the GX-7 and the new Olympus model are real?

Decisions, decisions.

LouisB

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Finally, I am actually thinking of going back to m43rds(!) despite my negativity towards the system, the lenses are good and (perhaps?) the improvements in the dynamic range of the sensors in the GX-7 and the new Olympus model are real?

Decisions, decisions.

LouisB
    Who are we kidding?

Post Thanks / Like

Who are we kidding?
    LOL

LouisB

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just wait a little Louis for the NEX't Sony.
    You're not completly without a camera at the moment

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A word of caution . . .

To everyone figuring out the next direction to try - don't go near the Nikon 1. Trust me

Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was thinking about a Sony A99 because I like the sensor in the RX1 so much but I'm not convinced about the range of lenses available.

Decisions, decisions.

LouisB
    I'm not a fan of the A99 but not due to the lack of lenses. So much excellent and cheap Minolta legacy glass out there. I just picked up a Minolta AF 50mm f/1.7 for $29 and it is better than anything I shot on Canon in that range, including their f/1.4.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Been shooting with my RX1R on our Snake River by my home in central Colorado high country. We've had so much rain the river is at levels usually seen in early summer after snow melt! The RX1R does a good job at rendering the smooth tones. I'm using a 6 stop ND filter and iso speeds 64 to 100....f stops 5.6 to 11. I've been so enchanted with this little "pocket sized" camera I haven't been able to pull my Nikon D800e out of the bag....or any other camera I have, for that matter......Eleanor

Eleanor Brown
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think ND filters are often overused, but these are great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Stephen..... the river is roaring and somewhat cloudy from all the rain and I wanted a really different look on these...ie: very calm in this case. Shutter speed anywhere from 4 to about 20 seconds. Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One more shot this evening with the RX1R. Upper Snake River near Montezuma. River is very high and large boulders here so lots of water action from all the rain of late. However used my 6 stop ND filter and iso of 64 to calm things down and soften the tones in the water. Eleanor

Eleanor Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    Just wait a little Louis for the NEX't Sony.
    You're not completly without a camera at the moment
    Michiel, lol! Yes, I am a bit spoiled. And I could probably live with just the RX1 for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Nothing wrong with ND filters. I have been using the new Lee 75 system with the big stopper on and off for about six months.

-----
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lunch @ a friends farm on the weekend
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great camera, including the images I have seen here and elsewhere. I'm hoping the RX2, whenever it arrives, will have a built-in viewfinder and quicker autofocus (per my interests in street photography). Regardless, images from the RX2 are stellar. Great 3D feel, clarity, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Fine capture. You live in a cool, vibrant city, well suited for so many types of photography. I get down there once in a while to shoot on the streets.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the best 'almost' free attractions in London is the 'heritage' bus routes run by London Transport where they still operate the iconic red Routemaster bus. For the price of a bus ticket you get an authenticate feel for the old bus and a tour from Trafalgar Square to the Tower of London. This is from the top deck.

-----
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I love sony rx 1 infact i feel comfortable with all of sony products specially camera and palystation