Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the RX-1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the RX-1

I played with it for 2 minutes last night. Build quality is great. Feels like a solid block of metal. Focus hunted for a while in medium light - not what I expected. Like I said earlier, I am not a 35mm focal length shooter, so I won't be getting one.
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post
    people are already griping about the price - adding those features would most likely push the price close to $3500.

local shop had a few that flew off the shelves - none for me to play with.
    It's hard to say. The NEX-6 is only $250 more than the NEX-5R, and the external EVF for the 5R is $300.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

No new photos today (work). I'll just read tonight and let my head spin around.

Cheers, Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post
    people are already griping about the price - adding those features would most likely push the price close to $3500.

local shop had a few that flew off the shelves - none for me to play with.
    If there's one thing I learnt, it's that "people" like to complain, and if close to $3500 was the asking price of adding a built in EVF and articulating screen, then Yes please!

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    If there's one thing I learnt, it's that "people" like to complain, and if close to $3500 was the asking price of adding a built in EVF and articulating screen, then Yes please!
    The viewfinder and articulated screen of the Panasonic G5 costs $700, but that includes a complete camera
    I don't care what gear I have.
    Things I sell: http://www.shutterstock.com/sets/413...html?rid=61105

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen, I don't think anything comes close to m43 for value

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i have only had my RX1 briefly but it is everything Steve Huff said and more. The IQ is truly amazing. I have been working with the RAW files in C1 and it works well but it is a preliminary version of the conversion and they don't yet offer the lens profile for correction. Nonetheless, this camera amazes me.

Here is a comparison of a shot taken with the DP2M and the RX1 at 100% crop in C1 (The RX1 is to the left, both shot with flash followed by a comparison of the RX1 v DP2M where RX1 was shot without flash but DP2M used flash):
    V/r John
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are some crops of some quick test shots:
    V/r John
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John - those flower shots are gorgeous. Love the detail and bokeh!
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Mike. This cameras detail rivals the Dp2M and I haven't seen any other camera besides the D800 that could do that. However the DP2M lacks the bokeh this camera and lens produce as well as the incredibly clean high ISO images.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a larger view, click on it to see the larger image:
    V/r John

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree. I mentioned it more to illustrate that adding those items doesn't cost much for the maker. Sometimes, I get the feeling that they ommit things for political reasons rather than financial. One of the great things with m4/3 is that they have skipped politics. The tiny E-PL5 offers the same image quality as the OM-D and the GH3 apparently offers video quality that is superior to some of their video camera that cost more. The RX-1 is more like a Leica: You pay a lot to get a marginal improvement in image quality. Hopefully, that image quality is a bit like from a Leica as well
    I don't care what gear I have.
    Things I sell: http://www.shutterstock.com/sets/413...html?rid=61105

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Reminds me of the E-P1, clunky ground breaker... but it's 2012 and as Jorgen says - you could consider the image quality to be only a marginal improvement.

I need to see more enthusiast samples, love the cat shots, but I could stand back a bit with a 45mm f1.8 or back a bit further with the 57mm f1.2, or 75mm f1.8 and get shallow dof plus (imho) nicer colour signature.

Still not writing it off! want to try the RX-1 in person - I loved the E-P1, slow focus and all... maybe this will be a nostalgic experience?

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Well I wouldn't exactly say marginal improvements in image quality, I know full frames offers a lot more just from owning my canon solutions and my OMD EM5, and I find the RX1 definitely closer to canon offerings in this regard! Although certainly m43 offers a lot from a Bang for Buck perspective, as it certainly in its infancy but agree there needs to be more enthusiast examples!

Keep them coming Matt and John... As I certainly prefer images doing the talking!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    The viewfinder and articulated screen of the Panasonic G5 costs $700, but that includes a complete camera
    That's about right. Based on sensor size, the RX1 is 4 times the camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    Thanks, Mike. This cameras detail rivals the Dp2M and I haven't seen any other camera besides the D800 that could do that. However the DP2M lacks the bokeh this camera and lens produce as well as the incredibly clean high ISO images.
    I would be interested to see how well the RX1 retains detail on distant landscapes with lots of fine foliage, particularly at infinity focus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This weekend I will try and accommodate your request.
    V/r John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    i have only had my RX1 briefly but it is everything Steve Huff said and more. The IQ is truly amazing. I have been working with the RAW files in C1 and it works well but it is a preliminary version of the conversion and they don't yet offer the lens profile for correction. Nonetheless, this camera amazes me.

Here is a comparison of a shot taken with the DP2M and the RX1 at 100% crop in C1 (The RX1 is to the left, both shot with flash followed by a comparison of the RX1 v DP2M where RX1 was shot without flash but DP2M used flash):
    Much appreciated, John.

The DP2M looks every bit it is as Quentin and many others here have been saying!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For exceptional sharpness and fine detail the DPxMs are really excellent cameras. They lack the high ISO capability, the dynamic range and the bokeh of the RX1 but they also cost a lot less.
    V/r John

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John - there was some mention in Steve Huff's log about the lens being optimized for close focus. I have this camera on order, and would be using it as a travel landscape camera, so like lambert, I am interested in the detail at f8 and distant focus.

If you get a chance to shoot some distant detail with at f8 with the camera tripod mounted or carefully positioned, that would be great.

I really love the flower shots above - has my very excited about the close-focus look from the RX1.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mike,
    I live in San Clemente near the beach. Tomorrow, from my roof deck I will shoot some distant subjects at various f-stops using a tripod. I have done a few of the shots with the DP2M which manages incredible detail on distant objects, trees, etc. so I too am interested to see how this camera compares. RAW images do require sharpening, much more than the DPxMs but the detail is certainly there on the closer shots. Colors appear to be very accurate in what I am seeing early on but I need more time with different conditions to verify this. I haven't tried the Sony RAW converter but Capture One v7 does a very nice job. LR will only process the RAW files if you fool it by cahnging the EXIF data into thinking it is a A99 image (same sensor).
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In general I would have to agree with that statement in that you get very good IQ in a relatively small package with a good selection of quality lenses that are affordable. However, even with the EM-5 which produces as good an image as I have seen from any m43 and as good or better than many APS-C, I still can see the noise, even at low ISO and it takes away some detail that I want in my images.

If IQ is the only measure and you can live with ISO under 800, I don't think there is any camera that can beat the Sigma Merrills as the images have a crispness and clarity with tons of detail that you won't find in any camera short of the RX1. The RX1 just about matches it and the D800 exceeds it. At least these are my observations.
    V/r John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    No new photos today (work). I'll just read tonight and let my head spin around.

Cheers, Matt
    Matt, it looks like I can contribute on the 11. I just got my shipping notice from B&H. Then you can see my pet.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Reminds me of the E-P1, clunky ground breaker... but it's 2012 and as Jorgen says - you could consider the image quality to be only a marginal improvement.

I need to see more enthusiast samples, love the cat shots, but I could stand back a bit with a 45mm f1.8 or back a bit further with the 57mm f1.2, or 75mm f1.8 and get shallow dof plus (imho) nicer colour signature.

Still not writing it off! want to try the RX-1 in person - I loved the E-P1, slow focus and all... maybe this will be a nostalgic experience?

Cheers

Brian
    Guess what my RX1 is replacing? For a long time, the image quality from model to model was an incremental improvement, and I am really referring to high ISO, and so I just kept my E-P1 and enjoyed using it. I think the OM-D was a jump. I think the RX1 is going to be better than my E-P1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    6x6, the Nex-6 and Nex-7 have an EVF positioned exactly as you described. By trying to make the RX-1 as small as possible, I think Sony missed the boat in not including a similar, built-in EVF (they should have also included the tilt-up LCD, IMO.)
    Couldn't agree more Douglas....
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I promised some shots taken at f8/11 with foliage in the distance. While these weren't taken at the same time and are not scaled to match, they will give you some idea of the RX1 capability. The first shot is the RX1 crop shot, the DP2M crops shot and the EM-5 crop shot. The last shot is to show the distance to the clock tower and the foliage near by. All except the DP2M were from RAW and all have had sharpening applied though the DP2M had very little.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a shot taken at F11 and followed by a left, center and right crop.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"All except the DP2M were from RAW"

I don't see the point of DP2M shots, if not from RAW. Its a hopeless jpeg camera.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. Not exactly impressive. They actually look like in-camera jpgs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quentin,
    The DP2M shot, despite being a JPG shows very high level of detail. The tif might have been slightly better (I can't seem to find it now) but the day it was shot was very bright and clear, hence you can see all the way to the bluffs at Dana Point Harbor about 8 miles away. This morning, when I took the RX1 shots, the sun was just starting to break through the morning marine layer so it is still hazy in the distance. The point of including it was that I consider the DP2M a tough benchmark in resolution and clarity. The EM-5 can't approach it and it is an excellent camera. The RX1 is very close and can be hard to distinguish once sharpened.

Taylor,
    These are converted to JPGs and reduced to 1200 pixels in width, nonetheless, the amount of detail present is impressive to me. Maybe you have some other camera in mind that exceeds that, other than the D800/E I haven't seen one.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    "All except the DP2M were from RAW"

I don't see the point of DP2M shots, if not from RAW. Its a hopeless jpeg camera.
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

Ashwin, John, Matt, congratulations on your cameras, and thanks for the posts. I am still sitting on the fence regarding buying one. I need to get my hands on one with viewfinder and thumbrest to see if the handling gets more to my liking. But the IQ on close-focus shots is fantastic!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is the EVF different from the NEX one? It looks very similar, but seems to be different?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The sensor (EVF/LCD) is on the left rather than the right. The socket/connectors are different as well. I am sure it is a bit evolutionary but nothing dramatically different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't have a NEX one but compared to the Oly one it is smaller externally and it comes with two eye cups, one larger for those without glasses and one smaller that lets you get your glasses closer to the exit pupil. I haven't had too much time to play with it yet due to "Honey do's" but I tried manual focusing with it and it worked very well for that with focus peaking. I will report more on the EVF later today after I get my chores done and have some time to play.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One other note about RAW conversion. C1 sort of supports it but the profile called RX1 Generic is not very good. The plain "generic" profile or "Camera RGB" or "Adobe DNG" appear to be closer as far as color goes. For example gray can have a slightly green tint and WB doesn't remove it until you select one of the other profiles. There is no lens correction profile either (may be my lack of experience with C1 vs LR). I'm hoping both will offer better profiles in the near future and LR adds conversion. By the way, on C1 I tried the A99 profile and I can't see any difference between it and the RX1.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

John - I should have said I was specifically referring to the 100% crops like dsc0049-4 and -5.

All I see when i look at those is processing artifacts, be they NR, sharpening, or JPG compression I'm not sure.

Are we talking about the same thing? because those two files honestly look like something from a point-and-shoot. The foliage is horrible.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a 100% crop from the center of a picture taken with the Nex-7 and Leica 21/3.4 SEM, for comparison. It's a screenshot from LR saved as a JPG of indeterminate quality by the Windows Snipping Tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Taylor,

I may have caused those when processing in C1 V7. What I have done for the shot below is to take the RAW file and converted it in C1 with all setting set to standard into a TIF and opened the TIF in LR that I am more familiar with and processed it with NR=0 and WB adjusted with dropper and sharpening set to 60, 0.7, 70, 20. Then a 100% crop snapped from screen and a TIF and a DNG file of the entire image for import located in a DropBox folder. The link is here:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lqcgetlls.../RX1%20Samples Make sure you are in list view or you will only see one file.

There is a lot more resolution there than in the image posted above where leaves are just color blobs.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks John! That does look a lot better.

Ahh! I just opened the DNG in Lightroom, and turned sharpening (which was set to 60) down to zero. That's more like it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I find for that image I needed to set the various sliders as shown below to optimize for my taste. The prior setting I used was one suggested by Tashley on his thread at DPR as his choice.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Is the EVF different from the NEX one? It looks very similar, but seems to be different?
    Apparently, the EVF of the A99/NEX-6/RX-1 is improved a little bit over the one in the A77/NEX-7/NEX-5N. See: Played with NEX-6 and NEX-7 EVFs - FM Forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I played a little with it today and it is very quick in response. It is as quick as the LCD on the back and there is no smearing on panning nor any detectable lag. I have to say I really like it.
    V/r John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philber View Post
    Ashwin, John, Matt, congratulations on your cameras, and thanks for the posts. I am still sitting on the fence regarding buying one. I need to get my hands on one with viewfinder and thumbrest to see if the handling gets more to my liking. But the IQ on close-focus shots is fantastic!
    Alas, wish I had one, but it won't likely be the case. I will be enjoying this thread, and maybe snag one down the road....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A few from yesterday at the Pike Place Market, and at last night's Annual Green Lake Path lighting (candles illuminating the three mile path around the lake with musicians, caroler, dancers; and, baby carriages, people and dogs wearing Christmas lights).

OOC Jpegs. Missed focus on the rat's eye. 'Snap' shots at f/8 work well (#'s 1, 2, & 7). Also, noticed that Auto ISO goes all of the way up to 12,800 (unusual, I think?). I'll have to pay more attention.

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/8; ISO 1600

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/8; ISO 2500

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/100s @ f/2; ISO 200

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/2; ISO 2000

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/2; ISO 6400

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/2; ISO 4000

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/60s @ f/2; ISO 12800

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/2; ISO 10000

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/2; ISO 10000

Cheers, Matt
    Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
    Flickr | M_Driscoll
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A couple more. I'm looking forward to ACR support.

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/400s @ f/2; ISO 200

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/250s @ f/2; ISO 200

Cheers, Matt
    Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
    Flickr | M_Driscoll

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    OOC Jpegs. Missed focus on the rat's eye. RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/2; ISO 10000

Cheers, Matt
    That's not a rat!

So far, only UPS has gotten any mileage out of my camera. How many more minutes to Tuesday? And what do they mean by delivery by the end of the day? Still, my extra battery is charged, unfortunately, so is my visa card...

+1 on ACR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had to cook tonight on the grill on my roof deck so I decided to take a few shots to see how the high ISO was. Here are a few samples:

1/80 at f2 ISO 3200

1/80 at f2 ISO 4000

1/50 at f2 ISO 6400

1/80 at f2 ISO 4000

1/80 f2 ISO 500 with flash

1/80 at f2 ISO 160 with flash

1/80 at f 2 ISO 5000

1/80 at f2 ISO 2500 (Note the reflections of the umbrella lights on the UV filter)

Those were lamb chops in case you are interested.
    V/r John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

John: I already ate, but they look very good. I shoot aperture priority and 1/80s seems to be a default shutter speed for high ISO? Does pretty well at high ISO, doesn't it.

Cheers, Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes it does very well. By the way, these are straight conversions from RAW and imported into LR and then exported as 1200 pixel wide JPGs with no other processing, NR or sharpening.
    V/r John