The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

HansAlbert

Snowland
The subject matter of each of these photos appears to be straightforward, but in a way that they are provoking reason to come to the assistance of perception in order to conceptualize what we see, thus completing the images. E.g. the three images may be read as representing respectively the subjects evanescence, appearance, and togetherness or as depicting many (in a row), (the manifoldness of) one united whole, and (the many making up) an ensemble.

In the first image everything is dissolved in light, not in the light of an enlightenment which would point out the details, but in a levelling, all-absorbing substance without any discriminability and individuality, in a universal Lethe-like matter, as it were. The gradual disappearing of the many trees and their filigree branches evokes a delicacy of feeling considering their evanescence.

The second image is the pièce de résistance when it comes to magnificent appearance of a detailed, even somehow chaotic manifoldness hold together in and by one individual. The field road next to it subtly doubles the symbolic potential of the scenery: a road of life, representing a succession in time, and a tree of life representing the complexity of the richly developed features in an individual, both against the backdrop of an anonymous, quasi unformed matter.

In the third image the many trees are neither one thing nor just many unconnected things: they are forming an ensemble which induces the viewer to give the grove a sense of togetherness in the face of the ambient white monotony. The faint curves of the snow-covered country even give the impression of the grove as drifting on a sea, as if this little community were not in control of its destination.

ashwinrao1

The thread has slowed. I have been paying close attention to gather user input and experience. Are people using their RX-1's, and/or enjoying the user experience and output from the camera. I have enjoyed watching from the sidelines, but am curious about how you are all doing, in terms of enjoyment factor. Is the camera worth owning, and providing a meaningful and enjoyable user experience? Do AF limitations slow the camera down for anything other than static subjects or slow moving action?

All the best!

Ashwin, I too have noticed the pace of this thread slowing to a crawl. I am partly to blame since I have an RX1 and have posted very few images. Sadly, I have been working so much I haven't had much time use the camera. I did get away today and probably shot more frames today than since I got the camera a month ago. I am anxious to see how they came out. I will post some images if I got anything worth sharing.

The camera is a joy to use and very customizable. The AF speed is adequate, but just - faster would be better. Image quality is very good and the high ISO performance is liberating.

Shashin

I have a day job and simply have not been able to post because work is really busy. I would also like to shoot something a little better--what I have been posting is dog walking stuff. But I got my camera Dec 17th and have shot 960 images with it.

The AF is way faster than an M9.

I also think the thread is slowing because we are passed the "wow neat" phase and really need time to seriously work with the camera. And the small owner pool does not help either.

Still lovin the RX1

Ashwin, how is that Pentax 645D working for you?

ashwinrao1

Markm Shashin, thanks for your comments, and I appreciate your insights.

I am always curious about how excited the folks here are about the cameras. Some cameras seem to thrive (see leica M, MF, M4/3), while other forums seem to slow down (Fuji, etc...)....

Totally understood that it's a busy time, and not many can shoot the camera, given the commitments in other parts of life that we all have. Shashin, I totally agree that the install base for the RX-1 is smaller, for sure, and thus, there are less people postiong. One thing that I have noticed with the Leica and MF threads are that they keep hoping along. Much larger user install bases though...

Shashin, I am loving the 645D, and for when I need it (Macro, large prints, super tele, it's amazing)...love the sensor and the lenses are just so nice for being priced as they are. I have been on a 6 month look out for the 55 mm f/2.8 FA, but haven't found a deal yet. It's also nice to see that the 645D prices seem to have held steady rather than depreciate.

I don't get to use it as much as it deserves, due to the bulk factor, but I adore it for the times that I use it.... here are a couple of examples from recent past:

Today I did a shoot with a dancer and used my d800.
However, I decided to take a few images with the Sony Rx1.
Here's one as the sun was going down and the dancer was jumping.
Focus speed was surprisingly fast.
f/2 iso 100 1/400sec.

m_driscoll

A few of the family (where i've been using the camera).

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/20s @ f/3.5; ISO 6400

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/6s @ f/2.8; ISO 1600

Cheers, Matt

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I'll be in London the week of Feb 4th with my RX1. Any GetDPI members in the area that would like to get together to shoot on Mon Feb 4th or Thursday Feb 7th?

ashwinrao1

Test run with the RX1, doing street photography at Pike's Place Market in Seattle. I am borrowing the camera from the generous Matt Driscoll to see if it fits my style. Day one with the camera was enjoyable.

My impressions are that the camera is not intrusive at all, and I found that no one seemed to notice me when shooting in this busy venue, probably assuming that I was using a simple P&S camera. The camera seemed a bit more responsive than the XE-1/XPro-1's that have served as my non-Manually-focused cameras. The RX-1's customizability is also quite nice, and it was set up in a way that was intuitive and enjoyable. Personally, I wouldn't enjoy the camera without the EVF, which really adds a level of discretion while shooting that is quite nice.

On the IQ front, files definitely have that CMOS-tilt. Nothing quite lives up to my Leicas for detail, but the RX's files do have better dynamic range. Not a huge fan of the colors, but they aren't bad either (prefer Fuji colors).

Here are a few images to share....

Color

BW

ashwinrao1

One more of my generous benefactor...I am doing head-to-heads with the RX-1 and the Fuji XE-1 in terms of IQ....granted, in LR4....

Files from the RX-1 are impressive....on the downside, there is shadow noise present even at base ISO, but detail is retained accross more of the ISO spectrum and there's no banding or artifacts other than noise. I would say that Fuji files look better, in terms of noise management at base ISO through 400, but beyond this, the RX, while noisier, retains more detail and dynamic range....both cameras produce fantastic files, but the RX-1 files seem a bit more pliable across the ISO range...

Build obviously favors the RX-1....

Here's one at ISO 320 of MD...

m_driscoll

I'm liking what you shot Ash (could have left out the last one, though). To my eye, the colors are 'natural', not skewed to identify them as Sony shots. It doesn't get in your way. The M9 is impossible to beat (IMHO), so, I'm leaving that out of comparables. The B & W conversions look great. Exposure was dead on. Focus looks good. Other then an external battery charger, a lens hood, and an EVF that locks down, what more could you want for almost $3k! :D

Cheers, Matt

barjohn

I have been busy out shooting and now editing. I hope to post a few more shots when time permits.

Please include the M9 in your comparison. I would like to see how they compare.

ohnri

My own experience with the RX-1 vs. the M9 would lead me to rate the RX-1 as better for the robust files, superior lens, DR, noise control, in camera shooting options, and more.

I would say the M9 is better for it's interchangeable lens choices and RF focusing.

Overall, I'll take the RX-1 and a nice m4/3's kit in lieu of my old M9 kit.

Also, I am selling my NEX 5N and Zeiss 24mm lens as the RX-1 is just a lot better.

Either way, I'll be keeping my D4 for the foreseeable future. At this time, there just is no substitute from any other manufacturer.

The new M is intriguing but there are now so many really fine choices in the discreet, easy to carry digital world that I doubt I will bite.

-Bill

Fashion Meets Fighting

April 2012 – Bill Fulcher | HatakeyamaGallery.com

Great stuff Ashwin. Your photos rock with any camera in your hands. Always nice to read your assessment as well.
Look forward to your images John.
Fun family images Matt.
Bill, Thanks for your comparative insights.

Ashwin, it appears you are doing pretty good with the RX1. Your images speak for themselves. Well done.

I finally got to use my RX1 a bit this week end and I clearly need more time to get in tune with it. I like the customizability of the camera and the control layout is pretty good. I accidentally hit the movie record a couple times, but that was most likely due to holding the camera at odd angles (overhead or low to ground) to get a different perspective. I haven't had that problem in normal shooting.

I am still sorting out my preferences for processing the RX1 files. They are very pliable, especially for a point and shoot sized camera. I used the color checker to make a camera profile in bright sun and it did shift some of the colors around a bit - richer blue and more yellowish green. There is plenty of image sharpness so no worries there. I did have a few occasions where I fired the shutter before the autofocus locked resulting in blurred images. I haven't checked to see if there is a setting to prevent the shutter from firing until focus is locked. Still, I am very happy with the camera's performance and it fits my needs well for those times when I don't want to carry the S2.

I am posting several images from the weekend and welcome criticism or advice for my processing choices. I processed the images in LR4 on a calibrated (near-full RGB gamut) NEC display and saved them for the web in sRGB color space.

Everglades National Park

4. This image is full frame. Yes, I was pretty close to the gator.

5. This is a crop of the above photo.

6. This image puts the gator photo (4) into context - it is in bottom of frame.

7. Morning Glory. The blue/purple color shift was very noticable when I applied the homemade camera profile. This version looks closer to what I recall seeing.