The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

pophoto

Honestly it's not even that obvious in normal view, sure I see it in the crop, but lets not blow this out of proportion :p

I really like most of what I am seeing, I just hope to see most posts soon rather than idle discussion that involves little creativity, keep 'em coming, good job guys!

barjohn

By the way the latest version of Capture One supports the RX1 RAW files. I have also played with the RAW files and using EXIFTOOL fooled LR into thinking they are A99 files and that works too but a bit more work. My observations so far is that there is significant more detail in the RAW files and fewer strange artifacts that I see in the JPGs as ISO goes up. I was doing comparisons between DP1M and RX1 and with RAW for both, they are close.

The last image is a comparison between the RX1 at ISO 6400 RAW vs JPG.

retow

Rayyan: Thank you, sir!

Here's a couple more of one of our kittens. BTW: the Sony Raw Image Converter isn't good for me. I'll wait for ACR. JPEGS OOC w/LR4.

RX1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/2; ISO 2500

RX1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/2; ISO 2500

RX1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/2; ISO 5000

Cheers, Matt
Looking good and do I see some Leica 3D rendering ;)?

m_driscoll

I feel like a real slacker, but, my wife won't let me quit my day job. :(

Great posts. Here's a few more. Again OOC jpegs tweaked in LR4.

RX1; 35mm f/2; 1/200s @ f/2; ISO 100

RX1; 35mm f/2; 1/500s @ f/2; ISO 100

RX1; 35mm f/2; 1/400s @ f8; ISO 100

RX1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f8; ISO 800

RX1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f2; ISO 800

Cheers, Matt

6x6

Ever since I went digital, years ago, I have been waiting for a camera that was close to my Contax G2. I had such an attachment to that camera, it went with me everywhere. I think I may have found it in the RX1.

My Use Case for this camera.

Much of my personal work is made using an Alpa TC / P40+ and this camera will be a great compliment to it. There are many situations where I see something which is a real challenge for the Alpa (e.g. closer than 3m). I have always held back from buying into a 35mm system, but this setup is small enough, discrete and with great IQ. But most importantly it looks solid. After years of abuse, my G2 held up really well. This looks like it will too, EVF aside.

6x6

Viewfinder
Sony also missed a trick here, that they could still recover! The contax had a viewfinder that was positioned on the back of the camera. It protruded just slightly off the top left. This gave a great position for the eye, so your face was not pressed into the back of the camera and your left eye was free to roam.

There is space for an after market EVF that attaches to the RX1 hot shoe. But instead of rising up like a plastic monster, went down and across to the left. I don't need it to cantilever. Just be solid, fixed and not get destroyed with going in and out of a bag 1000 times. Only problem is the flash button, but I would never use this. This would give a much better perspective to the photog.

See this old for sale post for an example:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-wtb/7486-fs-contax-g2-setup-45mm-planar-tla.html

Lens / Sensor Matching
Lastly to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, I am pretty sold on the idea that the lens and sensor must work in harmony for ultimate IQ. I won't be at all surprised if the RX1 gives better IQ than the A99 in certain situations. After shimming my back to match the lens on my Alpa I am sold on the idea that this is how to extract the last bit of IQ out of your setup. So I think Sony has done something right here by having a fixed lens /sensor combination. I would be OK paying $2,700 for a couple of RX1's. People regularly pay that for one Leica lens. I pay that for one Phase One LS lens. The advantage is that if one RX1 broke down, I could still carry on. I would be ok owning a RX1/35mm and a RX1/50mm for example. As long as the rationale was because the lens matched the sensor perfectly.

Having said that please don't read this Phase One. I can't afford to buy a new P40+ everytime I buy a new lens. There is a price point where this is ok!

Last edited:

douglasf13

6x6, the Nex-6 and Nex-7 have an EVF positioned exactly as you described. By trying to make the RX-1 as small as possible, I think Sony missed the boat in not including a similar, built-in EVF (they should have also included the tilt-up LCD, IMO.)

pophoto

6x6, the Nex-6 and Nex-7 have an EVF positioned exactly as you described. By trying to make the RX-1 as small as possible, I think Sony missed the boat in not including a similar, built-in EVF (they should have also included the tilt-up LCD, IMO.)
They could have and should have included both, I mentioned this on another thread, where size would have remained small like the NEX.

Anyways, it didn't happen and I await a future release, but in the meantime, GREAT stuff Matt, and keep them coming.

V

Vivek

.., GREAT stuff Matt, and keep them coming.
With an apology for an earlier transgression (on CA, though on topic, I think?), may I suggest that all the future possibilities be relegated to the other thread on RX-1 (where most have been :deadhorse: already).

They could have and should have included both, I mentioned this on another thread, where size would have remained small like the NEX.

Anyways, it didn't happen and I await a future release, but in the meantime, GREAT stuff Matt, and keep them coming.
people are already griping about the price - adding those features would most likely push the price close to $3500.

local shop had a few that flew off the shelves - none for me to play with. :(

bradhusick

I played with it for 2 minutes last night. Build quality is great. Feels like a solid block of metal. Focus hunted for a while in medium light - not what I expected. Like I said earlier, I am not a 35mm focal length shooter, so I won't be getting one.

douglasf13

people are already griping about the price - adding those features would most likely push the price close to $3500.

It's hard to say. The NEX-6 is only $250 more than the NEX-5R, and the external EVF for the 5R is $300.

pophoto

If there's one thing I learnt, it's that "people" like to complain, and if close to $3500 was the asking price of adding a built in EVF and articulating screen, then Yes please! :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If there's one thing I learnt, it's that "people" like to complain, and if close to $3500 was the asking price of adding a built in EVF and articulating screen, then Yes please! :)
The viewfinder and articulated screen of the Panasonic G5 costs $700, but that includes a complete camera :grin:

barjohn

i have only had my RX1 briefly but it is everything Steve Huff said and more. The IQ is truly amazing. I have been working with the RAW files in C1 and it works well but it is a preliminary version of the conversion and they don't yet offer the lens profile for correction. Nonetheless, this camera amazes me.

Here is a comparison of a shot taken with the DP2M and the RX1 at 100% crop in C1 (The RX1 is to the left, both shot with flash followed by a comparison of the RX1 v DP2M where RX1 was shot without flash but DP2M used flash):

barjohn

Thanks, Mike. This cameras detail rivals the Dp2M and I haven't seen any other camera besides the D800 that could do that. However the DP2M lacks the bokeh this camera and lens produce as well as the incredibly clean high ISO images.