Site Sponsors
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the RX-1

Senior Member The Smoking Camera's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the RX-1

Thanks Pophoto.

Thanks Brian. Yes I do miss the eye level viewfinder. Thinking about picking one up. We'll see.

Ashwin, I am still evaluating how responsive the Rx1 is for street photography. As you know, street photography is anticipating the moment and then taking the shot. As long as your anticipation is better than average, I believe any camera can be used for street photography - you just have to learn a camera's strengths and weaknesses and adjust accordingly to get that shot.

I once used a Hassleblad for street photography in Hong Kong. Worked surprisingly well - just a bit too heavy and obvious for prolonged use. My Nikon DSLRs, Fuji X100, Fuji Xpro1 and Sony Rx100 have all been successful street cameras for me.

Regarding the Rx1, the first thing for me is getting comfortable with the focusing capabilities. So far, I can't autofocus fast enough for many of my shots. Don't know if it is me or the camera. But, that's OK, because only my Nikon DSLRs and to some extent the Rx100 have been capable of sufficiently fast focusing. I may end up using zone focusing which is what I did with x100.

The next important thing is exposure and the Rx1 seems plenty responsive. So far I like adjusting aperture and shutter speed manually and setting iso to auto. No problem with the shutter speed dial not on top of the camera. And I'm always adjusting the compensation dial. Kind of gives me the feel of control even if I'm only making adjustments of 1/3 of a stop.

Another learning curve is how to hold the camera for street photography. I use a number of techniques but each camera is different. Waiting for a gordy strap to see how it affects my holding technique.

So far I really like the Rx1. Why? Because the Sony Rx1 is a true pocket hercules of a camera - carries a full frame, great low light, great dynamic range powerful punch in an incredibly small, unobtrusive package. Nothing quite like it.
    Joe
    www.thesmokingcamera.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A few more Waikiki images.

Joe
    www.thesmokingcamera.com
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I haven't had time to get out and shoot much so a few from around the house.

Beach Balls at Christmas

A Star is Born

The Christmas Sea
    V/r John
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Taken on a walk today. It seems like it has been raining for weeks. RX1 with a 35mm lens.

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lloyd Chambers has just added additional coverage on the RX1 including the color shift issue. Of greater significance to me was his section stating that the color bit depth was only 8 bits for the RX1. I have sent him the following inquiry and will post his answer when I receive it:

I just read your section on files sizes and bit depth on the RX1 where you state that the RX1 only uses 8 bits per byte; however, the Sony web site specification states:

"A whole new world of high-quality images are realized through the 24.3 MP effective 35 mm full-frame sensor, a normal sensor range of ISO 100 – 25600, and a sophisticated balance of high resolving power, gradation and low noise. The BIONZ® image processor enables up to 5 fps high-speed continuous shooting and 14-bit RAW image data recording."

Since it's ARW files are essentially the same as the ones produced by the A99 (just changing the EXIF descriptor allowed us to process the RX1 RAW files in LR as A99 files before RX1 support was released) it would appear both RAW files use the same compression scheme. Whether that scheme is losss-less or not really depends on the schema used. However, to capture and process 14 bit data, the internal pipeline must support 14 bits (probably 16 bits since that is easier to manufacture and work with in a binary world). Therefore, I don't know where you are deriving the 8 bit per byte data unless you are assuming that based on the file size. I don't think Sony would claim 14 bit raw files if it was only producing 8 bit raw files. Can you please explain where your information came from?

A check on the A99 on the sony web site states:

"Model Features: 24.3MP 35mm full-frame sensor, 14-bit RAW output, uncompressed Full 1080 HDMI® output in 60p/60i, up to 25600 ISO, Dual AF, continuous AF in all modes, up to 10 fps in Tele-zoom mode, 3" tiltable LCD"

We know from earlier experience that we could process the RX1 files as A99 files so they most likely use the same data storage method. Sony further claims to produce uncompressed files. Of course, this raises the question of how do you get 6,000 x 4000 x14 divided by 8 into a 24.3MB file without some type of compression. That should be a 42MB file uncompressed. There are lossless compression techniques that might do it.

I have now received a response back from Lloyd:

"Fact: the file size is always 8 bits per pixel.
    Fact: the file size does not vary.
    Fact: by the above, the camera thus stores 8-bit per pixel files.
    Fact: to guarantee 8 bits per pixel, lossy compression must be employed.
    Fact: I stated clearly that internal processing is certainly at a higher bit depth (apparently 14, but this does not work out properly according to RawDigger, which shows 12 bits when delinearized).

How can this be? Only by a scheme that limits storage to 8 bits per pixel by lossy compression. In Sony’s case, by a tone curve with a “sag” in the middle to high key area that effectively compresses the 14 bits down to 8 bits."

Followed by another email:

"This Sony claim is a fraudulent claim ("14 bit data recording"), just as Sony posts fraudulent MTF charts that are not possible by physics.

The files are by simple math, 8 bits per pixel. RawDigger developer confirms that they are 8 bits. This is a fact and not open to argument.

The files record a range wider than 8 bits by a tone curve that maps those 8 bits to a wider range. This is re-linearizing the data.

For example, 8 bits could record a range of 32 bits also. The question is how big the steps are within that range."

I'm not sure what to believe. It doesn't make sense to me that Sony would go to the expense to have a 14 bit processing pipeline only to throw it all away when recording the output. I experimented with converting to DNG and Tif, the ARW files. The DNG files varied in size from 26mb to 29.5mb and the tif files were huge at 144MB. Can anyone more knowledgable about this please provide some insight?
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One last response from Lloyd:
    "LLoyd,

By implication the A99 must be using the same lossy compression method.
    Assuredly yes, but I have not used the A99, so I cannot personally confirm.

Has this issue been raised on the A99 too?
    Dunno, I have never seen/used one.

If so that is disturbing. Why bother with a 14 bit processing pipeline if you are going to throw it away later?

- there is value in of 14-bit pipeline which outputs to a lower bit depth, call this simply "avoiding rounding errors".

- 14 bit dynamic range is possible and this is preserved in 8 bit files (range vs step size).

- it guarantees a smaller file size

- in most real world images one would be hard pressed to find any quality issue.

- the camera can apply smarts to making its 8-bit-per-pixel data of very high quality.

- noise “rounds off”. Generally 2-3 bits are junk (noise). I suspect this is why ETTR seems less effective with Sony; all results round off the noisy low order bits."

His answer seems to make sense.
    V/r John
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have nothing to add to this discussion except that whenever someone says:

Fact: xxxyyy

I'm suspicious - it's so aggressive, and so much smacks of insecurity. Of course, it doesn't mean he isn't right

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Taken on a walk today. It seems like it has been raining for weeks. RX1 with a 35mm lens.
    I really like this shot - dynamic and beautiful

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm pretty sure that Lloyd is correct about this, although how it affects actual images is up for discussion. It seems to me that the biggest penalty comes if you have to adjust exposure quite a bit in the raw converter.

It's very likely that the A99, RX-1 and NEX-7 all use what used to be called "cRAW" in Sony cameras, or compressed raw. My guess is that they got rid of uncompressed raw option altogether in order to improve advertised frame rates, but who knows?

My A900's raw files are in the neighborhood of 38MB-ish. My NEX-7's raw files are in the neighborhood of 24MB-ish, and there is no option to make larger, uncompressed raws with my NEX-7.

Here is a link about this, in terms of the NEX-7, started by Iliah Borg, one of the developers of the RPP raw conversion software. I'm not sure if the RX-1 and A99 are similar to the NEX-7 in this regard, but it sounds like they might be:
    Compressed raw files and exposure strategy:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I asked him if it was a similar scheme to the one used by Leica on the M8 and he stated that it was similar. I sent an inquiry to Sony CS and their response was to send me their marketing brochure stating it was 14 bit. I asked them to send me a white paper if they have one explaining how they get 42mb file down to 24 mb without compression.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John, I would seriously doubt Lloyd. My file sizes vary, so that does not quite line up with Lloyd's "fact." My Pentax 645D RAW files vary in size as well. What are Lloyd's qualifications to make these claims anyway? Here is a luminance plot bottom to top from an RX1 image simply opened and then saved as a 16-tiff. I looked at the numbers as well. I see nothing to suggest this is 8-bit data in 16-bit clothing. BTW, I did this in ImageJ which you can download for free.

BTW, there is another easy test, take a JPEG+RAW and see how much you can recover from the shadows with both files. If the RAW is 8-bit, you should soon see it. Perhaps the a99 is 8-bit RAW too, but the reposts I am hearing from users does not support that either.
    The gray value is the luminance value, not the color information so it doesn't reflect how many bits are used to convey the color data. He acknowledges that the luminance data maybe more than 8 bit.
    V/r John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    I asked him if it was a similar scheme to the one used by Leica on the M8 and he stated that it was similar. I sent an inquiry to Sony CS and their response was to send me their marketing brochure stating it was 14 bit. I asked them to send me a white paper if they have one explaining how they get 42mb file down to 24 mb without compression.
    Sony Cyber-shot RX1 | 35mm Full Frame Digital Camera | DSC-RX1/B | Sony USA

Clearly describes this as having 14 bit RAW capability.

I wondered how a tiny battery on a single charge can sanp 270 shots with 14bits of goodness.

But, I am still trying to figure out how the P mode is used by a famous reviewer as the "pro" mode.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FWIW, for comparisons sake, the D600 raw files that are 14bit with lossless compression are around 28-30MB each. The D600 also has the option of 14bit with a more lossy compression, and I believe that those files are in the 24MB range.

Post Thanks / Like

The RX-1 RAW files are incredibly robust. I slap them silly in PP and they take everything.

The RX-1 has state of the art DR. Shooting straight into the sun today at the beach and these files are holding up better than any I can remember.

I know these points have been well made already but, seriously, wow.

-Bill

Fashion Meets Fighting

April 2012 – Bill Fulcher | HatakeyamaGallery.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, the last batch of beach photos.
    Time to start shooting something a bit different.
    Enjoy.

Joe
    www.thesmokingcamera.com
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

kiss-o-matic

Quote Originally Posted by The Smoking Camera View Post
    Ashwin, I am still evaluating how responsive the Rx1 is for street photography. As you know, street photography is anticipating the moment and then taking the shot. As long as your anticipation is better than average, I believe any camera can be used for street photography - you just have to learn a camera's strengths and weaknesses and adjust accordingly to get that shot.
    Any more news on this? After thinking long and hard about it, I'm kind of on the fence. I shoot mainly street here in Tokyo. I used to think it would be impossible with MF, but I recently bought two Zeiss lenses (2/35 and 2/100) and love them. Kind of my new passion. Yes, MF can be something you have to work around, but honestly, with my 5d2, I missed a lot of shots due to crap focusing anyway.

Regarding the Rx1, the first thing for me is getting comfortable with the focusing capabilities. So far, I can't autofocus fast enough for many of my shots. Don't know if it is me or the camera.
    What are you mainly shooting? I find myself shooting moving targets less and less... especially now that I've been doing manual focus. Even before though, it gets dark here early so more often than not, I'm really fighting to get enough light to get an acceptable hand-held shutter speed which is definitely not a good shutter speed for someone walking.

I've just read up a bit on zone focusing. It looks like the lens doesn't have the distance markings that other Zeiss lenses have which is slightly disconcerting, but as of yet, I've not really done much of it. I use other tricks to make people think I'm not taking a picture of them when I am.

Nice pics, btw. I lived between Ward & Downtown for 2 years. Island fever kicked in so I came back to the gridlock.

Post Thanks / Like

In case you're interested, here are a few shots wide open at f/2.
    Note: the second image is a cropped version of the first.

Last edited by The Smoking Camera; 21st December 2012 at 02:55.
    Joe
    www.thesmokingcamera.com
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Joe: More 'beach' is OK by me. We have the water coming down, but no sand (maybe tomorrow?).

Cheers, Matt
    Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
    Flickr | M_Driscoll

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Joe: More 'beach' is OK by me. We have the water coming down, but no sand (maybe tomorrow?).

Cheers, Matt
    Ok, maybe a couple more beach shots here and there. Hope you catch a break in the weather.
    Joe
    www.thesmokingcamera.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, have you done any long exposure, between 1 and 15 min with RX1? I am trying to find out how it performs on black and white long exposure photography! Cheers,
    Aryan Aqajani - Photographer in Melbourne, Australia
    Website | Blog | Facebook | Flickr | Vimeo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I agree. I mentioned it more to illustrate that adding those items doesn't cost much for the maker. Sometimes, I get the feeling that they ommit things for political reasons rather than financial. One of the great things with m4/3 is that they have skipped politics. The tiny E-PL5 offers the same image quality as the OM-D and the GH3 apparently offers video quality that is superior to some of their video camera that cost more. The RX-1 is more like a Leica: You pay a lot to get a marginal improvement in image quality. Hopefully, that image quality is a bit like from a Leica as well
    I wouldn't call the image quality of the RX1 "a marginal improvement"- at least when compared to m4/3rds. I think it's a notable improvement- whether that improvement matters to you or you can use it, or is useless to you is another matter.

The #1 thing I am looking at this camera is for the leaf shutter (silence) combined with its great high ISO capability (not to mention fast lens).

That said, I want to see what happens with the X200.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Looks like our friend, Ken has his RX1 review up:
    Sony RX1 Review

Doesn't really like the colors from the RX1 and feels it's a toy!
    You can never take Ken Rockwell seriously.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

m_driscoll - this shot of yours caught my attention because:

I recently did the same area with the Q :-)

- Raist
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm a software engineer. When I got my a900, I did a bit of looking at the dcraw software to see how CRAW is handled before deciding which raw format I wanted to use.

I don't remember all the details, but basically, CRAW records the full 12-bit value of one pixel, then uses a 8-bit offset from that value for the following group of pixels in the same line (the group of pixels is a small number, maybe 16 pixels) at which point it records another full 12-bit value. Since systems involving lenses and AA filters and sensors don't have infinite contrast, it's rare, if even possible, that 8 bits isn't enough to record the difference between one pixel and the one next to it. In any event, it gets corrected quickly.

After looking at the code, I never used RAW, only CRAW with my a900. I don't think it loses anything visually, especially considering noise (you can't know exactly what a pixel actually should be anyway).

I don't know how 14-bit data is handled, but it may only be used internally by the imaging asic before the raw file is created. This would still reduce the effect of noise introduced during analog to digital conversion which is the real point of 14-bits anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jsparks View Post
    I'm a software engineer. When I got my a900, I did a bit of looking at the dcraw software to see how CRAW is handled before deciding which raw format I wanted to use.

I don't remember all the details, but basically, CRAW records the full 12-bit value of one pixel, then uses a 8-bit offset from that value for the following group of pixels in the same line (the group of pixels is a small number, maybe 16 pixels) at which point it records another full 12-bit value. Since systems involving lenses and AA filters and sensors don't have infinite contrast, it's rare, if even possible, that 8 bits isn't enough to record the difference between one pixel and the one next to it. In any event, it gets corrected quickly.

After looking at the code, I never used RAW, only CRAW with my a900. I don't think it loses anything visually, especially considering noise (you can't know exactly what a pixel actually should be anyway).

I don't know how 14-bit data is handled, but it may only be used internally by the imaging asic before the raw file is created. This would still reduce the effect of noise introduced during analog to digital conversion which is the real point of 14-bits anyway.
    Agreed. That is also likely what is going on with the NEX-7, A99, and RX-1. It's probably just cRAW without the option to go uncompressed RAW.

If anything, I think the main thing to take away from this is how to use the info to determine how you shoot the camera. Sony EXMOR tends to be somewhat of an "ISO-less" sensor in many cameras, meaning that pushing exposure in the raw converter is as good (or maybe better) than raising ISO in-camera. With this compressed raw in the RX-1, it looks like raising the camera ISO is ideal, and nailing exposure is more important, since the compressed files won't be able to handle swings in exposure in your raw converter as well as with other EXMOR cameras. No big deal, really.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i can't tell you how much I am enjoying the weather. Here is some RX1 bokeh at f/2.2.

Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few quick snaps from my first afternoon with the camera.

All shot RAW at f2, and lightly processed & cropped in LR4.

Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

OK, a few more beach shots and other stuff.
    Really like shooting in manual mode and letting the camera select the iso.

Trying out zone focusing on the beach.

A little more zone focusing. Not happy with Sony's poor DOF implementation.

More zone focusing.

I actually used the flash. 1/800 f/8 iso 800. Not bad.

Protective husband unhappy at photographer with new Sony Rx1.

Getting dark so shooting wide open at f/2.

Another at f/2.
    Joe
    www.thesmokingcamera.com
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I appreciate the great photography on this thread. I came very close to ordering the RX1 yesterday but stopped myself on the grounds I could not see when I would use it in place of my beloved Sigma DP2M and DP1M cameras. If the RX1 cost a bit less then it would make more sense for my purposes.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Folks,

looking at all those great shots here, make me really want the RX1 - unfortunately, as I was putting myself in the resist mode this time. Not sure how long I can resist ...

Keep them coming
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    I wouldn't call the image quality of the RX1 "a marginal improvement"- at least when compared to m4/3rds. I think it's a notable improvement- whether that improvement matters to you or you can use it, or is useless to you is another matter.

The #1 thing I am looking at this camera is for the leaf shutter (silence) combined with its great high ISO capability (not to mention fast lens).

That said, I want to see what happens with the X200.

- Raist
    The improvement is huge! For sure a combination of advanced sensor technology, advanced image processing, Zeiss glass and maybe also the fixed mounted lens!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The prominent onion ring OOF highlights is a flaw coming out of the aspherical elements in the lens. Highly undesirable.

Post Thanks / Like

A first few. Jpegs only as aperture does not support RAW yet. Nice and smooth, but not as wow as DP2M files.
    Last edited by retow; 3rd August 2013 at 04:59.

Post Thanks / Like

Joe, again beautiful images. I can look at them all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Folks,

looking at all those great shots here, make me really want the RX1 - unfortunately, as I was putting myself in the resist mode this time. Not sure how long I can resist ...

Keep them coming

You can't resist .
    I could resist . . . . today , as I could not put my hands on the RX1 .
    It was too crowded at my local dealer .
    But what happens after X-Mas ? When it is not crowded ?
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    But what happens after X-Mas ? When it is not crowded ?
    Hopefully, the stock will be sold out and on backorder for 6 months. At that point you could try to convince yourself the FF Nex is just around the corner.

In the meantime, cut up you bank and credit cards...

Post Thanks / Like

The RX-1 has some of the best OOF rendering of any lens I have seen. Better than any 35mm Leica glass of any era.

It really is an amazing camera.

-Bill

Fashion Meets Fighting

April 2012 – Bill Fulcher | HatakeyamaGallery.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joe,

I really liked the B&W shots. Others looked great too!
    V/r John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A little more zone focusing. Not happy with Sony's poor DOF implementation.
    Joe, I have not been doing a lot of zone focusing with rx1, but I setup my camera to have AF on the C button. In MF, I use that to focus at a point in the scene at a specific distance and then snap away. To reset focus, I simply repeat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hopefully, the stock will be sold out and on backorder for 6 months. At that point you could try to convince yourself the FF Nex is just around the corner.

In the meantime, cut up you bank and credit cards...
    The risk is reduced a lot since I have the new iMAC on order
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Joe, I have not been doing a lot of zone focusing with rx1, but I setup my camera to have AF on the C button. In MF, I use that to focus at a point in the scene at a specific distance and then snap away. To reset focus, I simply repeat.
    Sounds like a good technique. Will give it a try. What about tracking with the Rx1 - any success?
    Joe
    www.thesmokingcamera.com

Post Thanks / Like

Shashin, what is the menu selection to have it set to AF?
    I have been looking for it, but no selection I have tried seems to do this.

Thanks,
    Po

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds like a good technique. Will give it a try. What about tracking with the Rx1 - any success?
    I think tracking is only for movies, but I have not really looked.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Shashin, what is the menu selection to have it set to AF?
    I have been looking for it, but no selection I have tried seems to do this.

Thanks,
    Po
    Setup menu 3 > Func. of C Button > AF/MF Control Hold.

The C button will only activate AF in MF, but not in DMF or AF focus modes.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have it set on DMF mode, thank you!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

195 sec. exposure at f/5.6 and ISO400 under moonlight. The first non-diffused sunlight, all be it reflected, I have seen in days. The camera was simply manually focused to infinity--the LCD has no image, although the electronic level comes in handy.

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That shot is unreal. It looks more like it was taken in the early morning. I keep being amazed at the high ISO images and how clean they are. I'll post a few shortly.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Setup menu 3 > Func. of C Button > AF/MF Control Hold.

The C button will only activate AF in MF, but not in DMF or AF focus modes.
    I find it will toggle modes no matter where the front switch is set.
    V/r John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    I find it will toggle modes no matter where the front switch is set.
    Is it switching to MF in DMF and AF? That would make sense. Do you have your button set to "toggle" or "hold"?

John, I am not sure what the funny stuff is happening under the posts at GetDPI, but I can't click the like button (I am using Safari). Thank you for your comment on my image. I hope to try the RX1 on a tracking mount if the weather holds out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are a few shots from today. Some are family shots, my wife and our grandson and his mom (our daughter) and some are street shots.

Daughter and Grandson ISO500 f8, 1/80

Wife and Grandson ISO 2500, f8, 1/80

Grandson ISO 100, f2, 1/100

Nap Time, ISO 3200, f8, 1/80

Shopping ISO 3200 f8, 1/80

Street Cafe ISO 125, f8, 1/80

Wine & Cheese Cafe ISO 200, f8, 1/80
    V/r John
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post