The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

barjohn

Joe,

Yes we do but it is kind of cool this time of year. I sold my X100 and EM-5 and some lenses to get this camera and I don't regret it. It was hard to part with the X100 even though it did not match the performance of the EM-5. The EM-5 didn't connect with me the way the X100 did. So far this camera is connecting even more. While there are some minor nits (aren't there always?) this camera just presses the right buttons for me overall.

barjohn

I just tested it and it can do 3 or 5 exposures in RAW and you can specify in .3 EV, .7EV, 1 EV, 2 EV or 3 EV steps. I think I got that right. I only tried the 3 exposure and it worked fine on RAW + JPG mode.

m_driscoll

Totally Agree! Can't Wait For Mine To Get Here From B&H, Unless You Have An Inside Tip For Me Matty On Where To Score One Faster!:) Nice To See You MD!
Steve: Nice to see you here! No tips. I got the first one into my camera store. Only one to come in, so far. The clerks at the local SonyStyle Store wanted to know where the 'H' I got it! They didn't expect any until the 14th. You'll enjoy it when you get it.

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Some more from the Pike Place Market and the 'Wall of Gum'. OOC Jpegs processed in LR4 and 'Nik...'.

RX1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/8; ISO 320

RX1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/8; ISO 200

RX1; 35mm f/2; 1/100s @ f/4; ISO 400

RX1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/4; ISO 500

RX1; 35mm f/2; 1/500s @ f/2; ISO 400

RX1; 35mm f/2; 1/250s @ f/2; ISO 200

Cheers, Matt

Hosermage

Nice shots, everyone.

Joe, very familiar scenery! My family have been visiting Oahu in winter quite often in recent years, and we'll be there again next weekend. I hope the weather will stay nice like your photos.

Matt, the wall of gum look very cool until I found out what it was!

ElvisKennedy

I just tested it and it can do 3 or 5 exposures in RAW and you can specify in .3 EV, .7EV, 1 EV, 2 EV or 3 EV steps. I think I got that right. I only tried the 3 exposure and it worked fine on RAW + JPG mode.
To clarify, the Sony RX-1 will do the following auto bracketing modes in RAW format;

.3 EV for 3 or 5 shots
.7 EV for 3 or 5 shots
1.0 EV for 3 shots
2.0 EV for 3 shots
3.0 EV for 3 shots

At least on Elvis' RX-1.

It's more than most cameras offer but sure would like to have seen 1, 2 and 3 EV for 5 shots and 1.0 EV for 7. On a camera with all of those 'art' modes it seems quixotic that it wouldn't have had auto-bracketing more suitable to HDR aficionados.

Shashin

RX1 Tip of the Day

When in manual exposure mode, press the AEL button while adjusting the aperture ring to also change the shutter speed to maintain the same exposure.

Hosermage

Interesting... does that means if you stop down by 1 stop, then it'll decrease speed to match? Is it by simple math, or does it re-evaluate the actual exposure by reading the sensor to find the right match?

shtarka1

Steve: Nice to see you here! No tips. I got the first one into my camera store. Only one to come in, so far. The clerks at the local SonyStyle Store wanted to know where the 'H' I got it! They didn't expect any until the 14th. You'll enjoy it when you get it.

Cheers, Matt
Thanks Matt. Mine arrives from B&H Today! Really Appreciate All The Great Info & Shots From You Guy's!!!

Shashin

Interesting... does that means if you stop down by 1 stop, then it'll decrease speed to match? Is it by simple math, or does it re-evaluate the actual exposure by reading the sensor to find the right match?
No, it is just keeping the exposure constant. So, if you stop down from f/5.6 to f/8, the shutter speed you have set will increase by one stop, for example, from 1/250 to 1/125. This is neat as once you have got the right exposure, it is easy to keep the exposure and change the setting to alter the DoF or optimize the shutter speed without having to play with both the aperture and shutter speed dials. It is kind of like Program shift for manual exposure.