The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

Michiel Schierbeek

Nice photos, but I am not particulary happy with the horizon in pic 2.
This lens has a lot of distortion.

You can also see it clearly in Shashin's photo's of the gasstation.
The vertical pole on the left takes a turn to the right at the top.

Michiel Schierbeek

I quess in a lot of situations it is not noticable or disturbing, street, night and people etc..
The pic with the boat on the beach looks fine, just don't put the whole horizon in the image.. :D

Michiel

Very nice photo Tim. Plus it has a nice straight horizon without distortion. That could be due to lens corrections used in camera or LR, or due to location of the horizon nearer center of the frame is not as susceptible to the distortion.

My RX1 just came and I am looking forward to giving a go over the weekend. I have really struggled to find a small camera that satisfies my IQ and portability desires. I have high hopes for the RX1.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Very nice photo Tim. Plus it has a nice straight horizon without distortion. That could be due to lens corrections used in camera or LR, or due to location of the horizon nearer center of the frame is not as susceptible to the distortion.

My RX1 just came and I am looking forward to giving a go over the weekend. I have really struggled to find a small camera that satisfies my IQ and portability desires. I have high hopes for the RX1.
Hi Mark,

Lens distortion correction was applied in LR4 and a 0.19 angle correction too, using the crop tool. I hope you like your RX1. I must say that RX1 + LR4 + Retina display = Crack for photographers....

Shashin

Just went into the garden to see what the RX1 was like with NIR. The lens will flare if pointing at the sun, but that is fairly usual I have found with many lenses when shooting in the NIR. The filter is too dark to show an image on the screen and so you have to either use the manual focusing scale or remove the filter to focus. BTW, the tree is actually bent.

barjohn

A few quick shots from today's walk down by the beach.

Waiting for the Train

Don't Fence Me In

Reluctant Runner

House of Memories

Celebrating in San Clemente

m_driscoll

For any of you whom have used the Fuji X series, what are your impression of file quality? I find that the XE-1/XPro 1 do a great job on many levels, and teh XE-1 in particular shouldn't feel all that different in hand than the RX-1.

Sensor size nonwithstanding, are images coming from the RX-1 as sharp and microconrastedly good as the XE-1/XP-1, given that the RX-1 has an AA filter while the Fujis do not?
Ash: Give me a call next week, if you're around, and we can do a mini-comparison shoot with both cams. Especially, now, with ACR for the RX-1.

Cheers, Matt

barjohn

Here is another quick shot from today.

The Needed Walk-Check the Dog

Tim in bright daylight conditions, I too am finding the focus box too large and it is miss focusing as a result. Shooting in my home it is dead on. I may try using face detection next. I know MF would work but I intentionally left the EVF at home today seeing if I could get by with just using the LCD. While this is only one day and I only shot about 30 images today I may ned to conduct a few more tests to see what needs to be done.

barjohn

Ash, I have a friend that has both the X-E1 and the RX1. While the following are certainly not even close to scientific tests they will give you some idea of how they compare. The X-E1 is very sharp and has very nearly the same amount of detail. It also appears to have pretty good dynamic range.

These are meant to give you a general idea and not a scientific test. My friend shot the pictures and I processed the RAW files in LR.

kweide

Impressive, so far...
Would like to test one within my next upcoming Angel-Shooting :)

Thats because i mostly use 30 - 40 mm focal lenghts

Shashin

If you are thinking of buying an RX1, hold off a bit. I think there is some news coming down the line about a problem...

barjohn

Shashin,

Can you be more specific since several of us already have them but are within our return period. The only issue I have observed is an issue with focusing in bright conditions at f5.6. I don't know if it applies to other apertures or not or to other conditions. It has only happened to me twice. I didn't catch it until later as I was not chimping after every shot.

Shashin

There is a cyan/maganta shift from left to right in the images. You can even see it in some (but not all) of the images posted here. I took a simple reference shoot today to confirm it. It is overcast today. There should be no color in the sky. Shot at f/2. I wrote to someone I know in Japan that might give some answers--I was waiting for a reply. This problem has been posted at FM and then I tried my camera. I think this is something you will find in all models. I hate to be the bearer of this news.

barjohn

Can you post up the RAW image. I can't see it on my monitor. I do see some purple fringing but that is easily removed in LR.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I do some some mild color shift in the image Shashin posted above, but I probably wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't pointed out. That's less color shift than I've had to deal with on some other cameras, and not a deal breaker for me.