The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

philber

Ashwin, John, Matt, congratulations on your cameras, and thanks for the posts. I am still sitting on the fence regarding buying one. I need to get my hands on one with viewfinder and thumbrest to see if the handling gets more to my liking. But the IQ on close-focus shots is fantastic!

V

Vivek

The sensor (EVF/LCD) is on the left rather than the right. The socket/connectors are different as well. I am sure it is a bit evolutionary but nothing dramatically different.

barjohn

I don't have a NEX one but compared to the Oly one it is smaller externally and it comes with two eye cups, one larger for those without glasses and one smaller that lets you get your glasses closer to the exit pupil. I haven't had too much time to play with it yet due to "Honey do's" but I tried manual focusing with it and it worked very well for that with focus peaking. I will report more on the EVF later today after I get my chores done and have some time to play. :)

barjohn

One other note about RAW conversion. C1 sort of supports it but the profile called RX1 Generic is not very good. The plain "generic" profile or "Camera RGB" or "Adobe DNG" appear to be closer as far as color goes. For example gray can have a slightly green tint and WB doesn't remove it until you select one of the other profiles. There is no lens correction profile either (may be my lack of experience with C1 vs LR). I'm hoping both will offer better profiles in the near future and LR adds conversion. By the way, on C1 I tried the A99 profile and I can't see any difference between it and the RX1.

Taylor Sherman

John - I should have said I was specifically referring to the 100% crops like dsc0049-4 and -5.

All I see when i look at those is processing artifacts, be they NR, sharpening, or JPG compression I'm not sure.

Are we talking about the same thing? because those two files honestly look like something from a point-and-shoot. The foliage is horrible.

Taylor Sherman

Here's a 100% crop from the center of a picture taken with the Nex-7 and Leica 21/3.4 SEM, for comparison. It's a screenshot from LR saved as a JPG of indeterminate quality by the Windows Snipping Tool.

barjohn

Taylor,

I may have caused those when processing in C1 V7. What I have done for the shot below is to take the RAW file and converted it in C1 with all setting set to standard into a TIF and opened the TIF in LR that I am more familiar with and processed it with NR=0 and WB adjusted with dropper and sharpening set to 60, 0.7, 70, 20. Then a 100% crop snapped from screen and a TIF and a DNG file of the entire image for import located in a DropBox folder. The link is here:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lqcgetllsd22tdz/rVOOGFH0Yf/RX1%20Samples Make sure you are in list view or you will only see one file.

There is a lot more resolution there than in the image posted above where leaves are just color blobs.

Taylor Sherman

Thanks John! That does look a lot better.

Ahh! I just opened the DNG in Lightroom, and turned sharpening (which was set to 60) down to zero. That's more like it! :)

barjohn

I find for that image I needed to set the various sliders as shown below to optimize for my taste. The prior setting I used was one suggested by Tashley on his thread at DPR as his choice.

barjohn

I played a little with it today and it is very quick in response. It is as quick as the LCD on the back and there is no smearing on panning nor any detectable lag. I have to say I really like it.

ashwinrao1

Ashwin, John, Matt, congratulations on your cameras, and thanks for the posts. I am still sitting on the fence regarding buying one. I need to get my hands on one with viewfinder and thumbrest to see if the handling gets more to my liking. But the IQ on close-focus shots is fantastic!
Alas, wish I had one, but it won't likely be the case. I will be enjoying this thread, and maybe snag one down the road....

m_driscoll

A few from yesterday at the Pike Place Market, and at last night's Annual Green Lake Path lighting (candles illuminating the three mile path around the lake with musicians, caroler, dancers; and, baby carriages, people and dogs wearing Christmas lights).

OOC Jpegs. Missed focus on the rat's eye. 'Snap' shots at f/8 work well (#'s 1, 2, & 7). Also, noticed that Auto ISO goes all of the way up to 12,800 (unusual, I think?). I'll have to pay more attention. :D

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/8; ISO 1600

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/8; ISO 2500

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/100s @ f/2; ISO 200

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/2; ISO 2000

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/2; ISO 6400

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/2; ISO 4000

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/60s @ f/2; ISO 12800

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/2; ISO 10000

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/2; ISO 10000

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

A couple more. I'm looking forward to ACR support.

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/400s @ f/2; ISO 200

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/250s @ f/2; ISO 200

Cheers, Matt

Shashin

OOC Jpegs. Missed focus on the rat's eye. RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/2; ISO 10000

Cheers, Matt
That's not a rat!

;)

So far, only UPS has gotten any mileage out of my camera. How many more minutes to Tuesday? And what do they mean by delivery by the end of the day? Still, my extra battery is charged, unfortunately, so is my visa card...

+1 on ACR.

barjohn

I had to cook tonight on the grill on my roof deck so I decided to take a few shots to see how the high ISO was. Here are a few samples:

1/80 at f2 ISO 3200

1/80 at f2 ISO 4000

1/50 at f2 ISO 6400

1/80 at f2 ISO 4000

1/80 f2 ISO 500 with flash

1/80 at f2 ISO 160 with flash

1/80 at f 2 ISO 5000

1/80 at f2 ISO 2500 (Note the reflections of the umbrella lights on the UV filter)

Those were lamb chops in case you are interested. :)

m_driscoll

John: I already ate, but they look very good. I shoot aperture priority and 1/80s seems to be a default shutter speed for high ISO? Does pretty well at high ISO, doesn't it.

Cheers, Matt

barjohn

Yes it does very well. By the way, these are straight conversions from RAW and imported into LR and then exported as 1200 pixel wide JPGs with no other processing, NR or sharpening.