The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

Tim, all three snow photos are worthy of display however 2 is really good in my opinion. The snow really brings out the character of the tree.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Tim,

I would not want to choose between the three...

The tail off in one is fabulous...two is very profound and three reminds me of Kenna's Hokkaido....

Very well visualized and captured.

Almost makes the RX1 ...

Really love the look...not sure a D600/Sigma 35 will come close.

Bob

Did a photoshoot at a fashion show with my Nikon d800.
Had some down time so took some backstage and sidestage shots with the Rx1.
Experienced some difficulty with focus in very low light, but overall not too bad.
Iso up to 10,000 in color and up to 25,600 in b&w.
Didn't realize my aperture was set to f/2.2 the entire evening.
Oh well, here are a few photos.

ashwinrao1

Sheesh, beautiful pics.

Charles, your fav beach seen shines via the RX-1.

Joe, incredible model shoot. I love how close you get, and how the images tell a cohesive story...

Tim, the snow scenes are incredible. Any one of those should be hanging on a wall...lovely work!!!

Thanks Ashwin,
Really easy to take closeups with the Rx1.
No one seems to be intimidated by this little camera.

Charles, love your beach photos.
Why is it called Elephant rock - shape or texture?
Do you know the geology of this rock formation?

What a contrast to CharlesK and Shashin's beautiful cold weather photos!

ikons

Did a photoshoot at a fashion show with my Nikon d800.
Had some down time so took some backstage and sidestage shots with the Rx1.
Experienced some difficulty with focus in very low light, but overall not too bad.
Iso up to 10,000 in color and up to 25,600 in b&w.
Didn't realize my aperture was set to f/2.2 the entire evening.
Oh well, here are a few photos.

excellent! i assume these are in-camera bws, aren't they?

Three from today: the RX-1 seems not to mind being carried for two hours in light to moderate snow!

The composition of this one is really outstanding. Brilliant!

Was wondering if you can recover the highlights in the bottom half of the photo? It needs just a little tone down there.

Best,
Chad

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thank you Chad, and everyone else... and you exactly right about the highlights there, I actually uploaded a secondary version by mistake. There's a local adjustment brush there pushing exposure, shadows up and clarity and sharpness down, plus a little positive vignetting compensation. In the 'real' version, which I am still working on, those are all backed off a little so as to give a balance between some sense of ground other than pure white (which even the above isn't, quite!) and reducing the mildly distracting bits of longer grass that are sticking up. I will get it just right with a bit more time: the first print was quite promising but with a shot I really like, it's always worth iterating.... and there are other possible treatments too. Good job I only got three frames I really liked out of hte 100 or so I shot: each one is a lot of work!

CharlesK

Thank you Ashwin and Joe:)
Joe, Elephant rock was named for the shape of the rock...I'm assuming! The formation is a volcanic outcrop. The region has an extinct massive volcano, which can be seen from aerial shots. So there are many areas, with volcanic outcrops and many fertile farming areas, lying close or not too far from the rim of this extinct volcano.

Last edited:
Thank you Ashwin and Joe:)
Joe, Elephant rock was named for the shape of the rock...I'm assuming! The formation is a volcanic outcrop. The region has an extinct massive volcano, which can be seen from aerial shots. So there are many areas, with volcanic outcrops and many fertile farming areas, lying close or not too far from the rim of this extinct volcano.
Thanks for the info Charles - sounds a bit like Hawaii. Look forward to more of your wonderful images.