The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

ashwinrao1

Stunning, Joe...it has that early morning crispness!!! THanks for the kind words. RX1 rocks. I love that it's becoming a hidden treasure of the photo world...probabl due to its not so hidden price LOL

Helena

mir, hope you will be happy with it! If you do take it to Afghanistan and Iraq, please post some photos here afterwards.

darrellc, post #603 is very nice, especially #3, 4 and 7!

Joe, I like that Coyote photo (amazing that you got so close) and the recent one from Death Valley is beautiful!

Shashin, the photo with the tree tops in post #610 is great. Pleasant light and atmosphere.

Ashwin, wow!

--

A few from Stockholm, Sweden:

Djurgården 8 and Hebe by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Stockholm Central by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Stockholms stadshus (City Hall) by Helena Normark, on Flickr

View from Old Town towards City Hall by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Absolutely lovely work Helena. Now I want to visit Stockholm.
By the way Ashwin, I really enjoy your black and white images.
Those performance images are beautifully metered, composed and timed.
Gotta say the first baseball photo with Number 1's head down and hands on hips is perfect.

ShooterSteve

Great images but I'm just not sure I could live with just one lens... I used to shoot with the Fuji fixed lens 6x7 and 6x9 rangefinders but I think I had a two or three focal lengths to choose from if I remember correctly..? I would definitely miss a viewfinder though, I just don't like shooting with only a rear LCD. But the image quality and AF certainly looks great.

Shashin

I am not sayin' winter is getting me down, but it is not exactly lifting me up either. From today:

This is color. White and grey are colors.

I am also shooting with Shading Comp off and the lens cast is much easier to handle in post.

pophoto

Great images but I'm just not sure I could live with just one lens... I used to shoot with the Fuji fixed lens 6x7 and 6x9 rangefinders but I think I had a two or three focal lengths to choose from if I remember correctly..? I would definitely miss a viewfinder though, I just don't like shooting with only a rear LCD. But the image quality and AF certainly looks great.
None of us really lives with one lens :p

Also the issue about using an EVF soon removes itself when you don't have one, and becomes less of a problem if any at all. It's quite a joy to shoot with! I'm speaking for myself of course! The AF is okay overall.

Geoff

One lens can be surprising liberating. Shot with an M2 and a 35 summicron for about 20 years, and it just got deeper and better. Lens stables tend to grow, sometimes without control!

retow

Stunning, Joe...it has that early morning crispness!!! THanks for the kind words. RX1 rocks. I love that it's becoming a hidden treasure of the photo world...probabl due to its not so hidden price LOL
And how is your Fuji X-Pro1 doing these days :thumbup:

Shashin

Where I live, they let you have more than one camera...

ashwinrao1

Joe, fantastic series of NYC.

Shashin, I hope that the colors of spring replace the white of snow for you soon...

Helena, incredible imagery, pushing the camera's envelope...

Thanks, all, for the kind words...a few to share:

Helena

Thanks everyone!

Ashwin, those are beautiful!

How you you feel that the camera handles greenery? Your photos look great, but I don't know if you have had to do many color adjustments. Greenery is one thing I feel that my 5D doesn't always do very well, but I haven't had a chance to try such subjects with my RX1 yet...

ashwinrao1

Hi Helena, I feel that the RX1 does greenery quite well. Images are quite saturated in the green channel, but not blown out, and images look rich. The only tweaks that I do are to slightly tone down saturation at times.

Muizen

Coming from the easy to use Leica M9, I am having some trouble dealing with the enormous number of settings and partly totally unnecessary options of the RX1.
Some do not interest me and esp. not the video, but there are still a great number I have questions about:

First I shoot in RAW.
1) what does "AEL w/shutter" mean? It is set to On
2) what metering mode to select?
3) what AF Area do I use: Multi, Center or Spot?
4) Should D-R be at off?
5) Should DRO stay at auto?
6) Should peaking level best be at High, or Mid or Low?
7) Peaking color white or red?
8) C-button I programmed at AF/MF control toggle?
9) Lens shading at off?
10) Chrom Aberration and distortion both auto?
11) Face Priority tracking (no need to have) on off?
12) Face registration (no need for that) on off?
13) Folder name at date format?
14) What is "Smart Telecon/zoom?
15) How can I eliminate for ever "tracking focus"
16) When I use "display monitor" I get a.o. a tiny little histogram, can I enlarge this?
17) I did put ISO at the right side , metering mode down and Drive mode at the left side of the controm wheel.

Your help is very much appreciated and I thank you on beforehand for your efforts!

Shashin

Coming from the easy to use Leica M9, I am having some trouble dealing with the enormous number of settings and partly totally unnecessary options of the RX1.
Some do not interest me and esp. not the video, but there are still a great number I have questions about:

First I shoot in RAW.
1) what does "AEL w/shutter" mean? It is set to On
When you press the shutter release button partway down the autoexposure (AE) is locked. That means if you move the camera position, the exposure will not change.
2) what metering mode to select?
Multi
3) what AF Area do I use: Multi, Center or Spot?
I use center.
4) Should D-R be at off?
Sure. It should not affect RAW.
5) Should DRO stay at auto?
Should not affect RAW.
6) Should peaking level best be at High, or Mid or Low?
Whichever you prefer
7) Peaking color white or red?
Whichever you perfer.
8) C-button I programmed at AF/MF control toggle?
I use hold so it returns to the focus mode when I let it go.
9) Lens shading at off?
Yes, until Sony updates its profiles.
10) Chrom Aberration and distortion both auto?
OK.
11) Face Priority tracking (no need to have) on off?
12) Face registration (no need for that) on off?
I use neither.
13) Folder name at date format?
OK.
14) What is "Smart Telecon/zoom?
That is the digital zoom that produces files at the same resolution as the native res. Only with JPEG.
15) How can I eliminate for ever "tracking focus"
Don't use the "Auto" exposure mode.
16) When I use "display monitor" I get a.o. a tiny little histogram, can I enlarge this?
No.
17) I did put ISO at the right side , metering mode down and Drive mode at the left side of the controm wheel.
I don't know. Did you?

Your help is very much appreciated and I thank you on beforehand for your efforts!
We all have to read the manual, although the Sony site is better. I would spend some time with it and the camera and learn how to use it. Otherwise you are simply going to be a slave to whatever it wants to do. The camera is really no that complicated.