The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

philip_pj

The lens does bold low light colourful scenes really well, but it is also capable in low light or low contrast scenes..the depth in that snowy scene looks very appealing, Shashin, thanks.

Joe, your camera and pod look awfully lonely I don't know how you could be so cruel, lol. Some users don't like the threaded CR but I really like the retro mechanical device, esp if you have a smooth one like the Nikon or Pentax ones. Beautiful photo at the Brooklyn Bridge...

Fun photo darrel. I've had a more than one model make the same face.
Can't wait to see your winter photos Shashin.
John, really beautiful images. Very Sony Rx-1 - like.

M

mjr

Afternoon

I hope everyone is well and enjoying their Easter break.

I finally received my RX1 after waiting for ages for it to get to Iraq. Anyway, it's a great little camera, just getting to grips with it at the moment, learning what I can do in post and how it reacts to different situations.

Here in Iraq I live on a pretty crappy camp in a crappy container, it's not much good for the kind of photography I normally like but when you have a new camera you'll take a picture of anything!

There was a big storm yesterday, turned the sky black late evening, I quite like the b&w conversion, a lot of distortion in the uprights though, even with the lens correction.

Late evening a guy comes round with a gas machine that pumps out kerosene fumes to keep the mosquitos out, I quite like this.

All in all, I'm impressed with the way the noise cleans up in LR and I really like the weight and solid feel. This should work really well as a travel camera against the Alpa for landscapes when i'm home.

Cheers

Mat

Shashin

From today. The view from Orr's Island north. Stitched panorama of vertical frames. No processing other than stitching.

John Kraus

Valencia Street, SF, with RX1. Chocolate from Dandelion, wonderful artisan chocolate. Get the Madagascar bar if you know what's good for ya. Cheese and fruit plate from Mission Cheese, next door.

John Kraus

Shooting with RX1 in Chinatown San Francisco, Easter Sunday. Aiming for fast street shooting technique, went with a Leica Optical finder I own. Focus set either to Multi-Point or Manual choosing hyperfocal distance. Exposure either Program or Manual and Auto ISO with shutter speed and F/stop set to gain focus on moving subjects.

All in all the approach worked well. Next to no reaction to camera, in the best way.

all images ©johnkrausphotography2013