The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

biglouis

OK, the JB Camera Design grips are officially out. I've been testing one on the RX1 and love it. Also available for the X100(s) and coming out for the XE1, X10 and X20. Peruvian walnut.
Batteries can be changed without removing the grip. $79.95.
It's a different approach to holding the camera and does work well for me. Extra grip is obtained with the pinky or 4th finger.

News | J.B. Camera Designs

NEW Wood Grip Bases for the Sony RX1 and Fuji X100s | Facebook

NEW Wood Grip Bases by JB Camera Designs - a set on Flickr
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but if I ever decide to completely destroy the aesthetics of my RX-1 by slapping a lump of (albeit nicely finished) wood on the bottom of it then take me out and put me down.

Just my opinion and each to his own.

LouisB

jfirneno

Shasin:
Even though I found the Independence Day reference funny, I have to say I really enjoyed that shot of yours. New England seems to produce amazing cloudscapes (goes along with the unstable weather conditions). But it always seems when I am driving along on the Mass Pike and see some incredible sky scene I'm either in some really inconvenient place to pull over or completely without a camera.

Kudos on a nice shot.

Regards,
John

John Kraus

All depends if you look at it or shoot with it. I shoot a lot hand-held, and the functionality is fantastic. Yes, to each his own!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but if I ever decide to completely destroy the aesthetics of my RX-1 by slapping a lump of (albeit nicely finished) wood on the bottom of it then take me out and put me down.

Just my opinion and each to his own.

LouisB

Shashin

Shasin:
Even though I found the Independence Day reference funny, I have to say I really enjoyed that shot of yours. New England seems to produce amazing cloudscapes (goes along with the unstable weather conditions). But it always seems when I am driving along on the Mass Pike and see some incredible sky scene I'm either in some really inconvenient place to pull over or completely without a camera.

Kudos on a nice shot.

Regards,
John
Thanks, John. This one was a little easier. I just had to cross the road in front of my house. While, blue skies are nice to have, and we don't have many, it is the changing weather that makes things special.

philip_pj

That wooden base is the most bizarre thing I have yet encountered in small cameradom, in which I always had been led to believe the very qualities of small size and light weight were the whole point. It tops the Blad Lunar. Is the idea to use it as a protective device, swung against an assailant perhaps, as it would hurt? I guess you can walk into a pub and plonk your camera down on the bar...with a resounding thud.

John Kraus

Very interesting to read these reactions to the walnut base, which I'm loving to use!
If you shoot primarily on tripod you don't need it, though it also doesn't get in the way. If you primarily carry the camera on a neck strap and work slowly, it's not as valuable, though still very useful in balancing the camera when you actually shoot.
But if you walk and hold the camera in your hand with a hand strap and capture fleeting moments, as I do, the walnut base adds minimal weight and volume while adding a much better balance and hold of the camera. I work quickly often and thus like to have the camera in-hand. In that scenario the grip is by far the best solution I've found- much better balance and secure grip while adding minimal volume and weight. To each their own, whatever works for you is what you'll love.

That wooden base is the most bizarre thing I have yet encountered in small cameradom, in which I always had been led to believe the very qualities of small size and light weight were the whole point. It tops the Blad Lunar. Is the idea to use it as a protective device, swung against an assailant perhaps, as it would hurt? I guess you can walk into a pub and plonk your camera down on the bar...with a resounding thud.

Last edited:

biglouis

That wooden base is the most bizarre thing I have yet encountered in small cameradom... s the idea to use it as a protective device, swung against an assailant perhaps, as it would hurt? I guess you can walk into a pub and plonk your camera down on the bar...with a resounding thud.

I remember once being admonished in a Leica forum for pointing out that the reason why I didn't worry about someone wanting to steal my Leica M8 was that it was chunky enough to make a very effective dent in someone trying to take it off me against my wishes...

Yat,

Is this a mutli-image pano, RX1 jpeg in-camera pano, or a single file cropped as a pano? I really like the image so it doesn't matter too much how it was achieved - just curious.

Mark

Jay Emm

Not a particularly interesting image, but one I seriously under-exposed. I was surprised how much data could be recovered however - the RX1 seems to pack plenty of info into the files (memo to self: Don't delete shots as hastily as I once might have)

biglouis

Is the RX-1 worth it?

Is the RX-1 worth it?

Yes - because it actually captures sky and cloud detail - the dynamic range is awesome:

Yes - because the f2 Zeiss 35mm lens is a really, really good lens at f2.0:

Yes - because the ability to capture detail is awesome:

W.Utsch

Nothing special:
Old anchor winch at the Rhein river:

DSC03860.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

The river:

DSC03856.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

Had not much time to test, but so far i agree: Yes!

Very good DR.
Lots of detail (almost on par with the Merrills).
Fantastic low ISO.
Nice feeling and good handling.....

Geoff

Two shots - the first in a Maine museum, taken through a case at 6400 ISO. Rather sweet. The second at 3200 ISO, f8.

philip_pj

Please forgive my remark about the wooden base, an attempt at humour, it simply looked incongruous to me at first blush. There is no doubt the camera benefits from more hand affordance and it's not like the weight is too high ;-) I am sure it will work fine...and we are lucky to have so many aftermarket options so early in the product's life.

What will they do next?

As it is fascinating watching the full strength of the camera work its way into the collective knowledge base of (let's say) the community of serious camera users.

It's a strange thought that this might be just the start for Sony in this market niche. A high level of acceptance of such a high end camera will help their overall camera business significantly - people will know what they are capable of.

I looked a bit deeper into the lens, it's an 8/7 elements/groups with 3 asph elements featuring 5 asph surfaces on them. That's a lot of correction and it shows in the corners especially, and in the consistency across the aperture range. Zeiss produced exactly what you want in a single lens 35mm camera, which has to be all things to its diverse users. Even its flaws are tiny quibbles.

There are not too many great 35mm lenses across all FF lineups..this is one of them.