The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

Jay Emm

I'm not going to post the pics as it was a client job, but I took my RX1 with me on a shoot today, a shoot where I used my Nikon D3s as usual. But wow, the RX1 shots are better - well of course, there's double the pixels, but the IQ on this camera is remarkable - and funnily enough the client noticed in picking some of the RX1 shots as faves (without knowing the hardware in use when looking at the pics). If I didn't have such an investment in Nikon gear I'd be looking at that latest Alpha as my interchangeable lens camera.

V

Vivek

Obviously it is not that pressing. Otherwise, you would have sold all the Nikon gear to go with the Sony.

jfirneno

I'm not going to post the pics as it was a client job, but I took my RX1 with me on a shoot today, a shoot where I used my Nikon D3s as usual. But wow, the RX1 shots are better - well of course, there's double the pixels, but the IQ on this camera is remarkable - and funnily enough the client noticed in picking some of the RX1 shots as faves (without knowing the hardware in use when looking at the pics). If I didn't have such an investment in Nikon gear I'd be looking at that latest Alpha as my interchangeable lens camera.
Jay:
I am highly interested in comparisons of these two cameras (especially in low light situations). Could you say in general terms what type of shooting was involved and where each camera excelled or fell short?

Thanks,
John

M

mjr

Afternoon all

I am very happy because I left Iraq on Wednesday and now back relaxing in my little place in Sweden. It's overcast and drizzly but I honestly couldn't care less!

Anyway, I just popped out with the RX1 to grab a couple of shots, I have just fitted the RRS grip and it is absolutely superb, the fit and finish are top notch.

Mat

M

mjr

Here's a quick B&W conversion, I'm really enjoying processing the RX1 files. There's a fairly busy background in this shot but to my eyes it is handled pretty well.

Jay Emm

Jay:
I am highly interested in comparisons of these two cameras (especially in low light situations). Could you say in general terms what type of shooting was involved and where each camera excelled or fell short?

Thanks,
John
It was a pregnancy shoot, the final series were non flash as we moved near the windows - I grabbed the RX1 and opened up the aperture. Downside was the wide angle needs care with composition etc, but several of the shots were the couples faves. Not for a moment saying its better than my D3s, too many restrictions for my kind of work, but when you're not in a hurry - well the IQ was just beautiful and theres a lot of data for post production. Lots of factors at play, but I continue to be impressed with this sensor. It was reasonably low light, I see no issues up to ISO 6400 with either camera, but the Nikon will lock focus in a snap which makes it faster for my kind of work. Again, an unfair comparison as a one off test, and the Sony has twice the pixels, but what I am saying is this little camera is probably priced where it should be. It packs shocking power in a small package. Remarkable design and engineering skills from Sony.

M

mjr

Morning

I'll apologise in advance for posting too many images!

I live very close to a place called Storforsen in the North of Sweden, I think i read somewhere that it is the largest rapids in Europe and nobody has ever been down them, that could be complete rubbish but in any case, they are huge and extremely impressive.

I was up early this morning for a bit of a look, the mist from the falls looked great behind the trees.

Irenaeus

Three from last weekend's local Eastern Orthodox celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Our "feast of feasts," this is the most important remembrance of the whole year. The first two photos are from the Midnight worship; the third from a morning service a few days later.

M

mjr

Evening

Great night out, rain, black clouds, deafening sound from the falls. Managed to grab a couple of shots without getting drenched!

It's been a while since I have contributed to this thread, but I have been enjoying my RX-1 quiet a lot. Here are a few images from the last couple months. I guess you could say I have thing for trees.

biglouis

Mark, those are very eye-catching captures. I would not have immediately thought of the RX-1 as a landscape camera. The last one with the wind vane is classic and the sky is beautiful - not something I would normally associate with a digital capture (although I have also found the RX-1 has an astonishing dynamic range).

Joe, the flowers are wonderful. I have tried to use my RX-1 for flowers but so far have had nowhere near the success you have.

LouisB

Thank you for the compliments Joe and Louis.

I now refer to my RX-1 as the "sketchbook" since it works so well in that regard. A friend and I recently did a week long photo trip where the RX-1 proved to be valuable as a sketchbook of sorts. Anytime we came across a scene with potential as we were driving the roads between shooting locations or scouting for new spots, I would jump out and take a quick shot. The RX-1's excellent image quality and high ISO capability meant that I could get a quick handheld photo of a scene in a matter of seconds. Then we would review the photos to determine if there was enough potential to setup the tripod, bring out the serious camera, filters, remote release, etc. Ironically, I ended up getting some keepers with the RX-1 plus it was very helpful in maximizing our time at better locations.

Since that trip, I have continued to use the RX-1 as a sketchbook. I have a small camera pouch (Lowepro Dashpoint 30) attached to the strap of my primary camera bag or backpack so that the RX-1 is readily available for a quick shot. This approach has been good at identifying scenes that I may have otherwise been too lazy to stop and take the time for a proper photograph. Sometimes it simply results in a snapshot and nothing more, but that can be fun too.

I have become so confident in the RX-1's capabilities that I recently took it on vacation as my only camera. My wife was shocked that I could actually go on a trip without my S2. Granted the trip was a family vacation instead of a photography trip, but that never stopped me before. :D