The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

Shashin

You know the problem--you really need to get to those exotic locations to find those magical moments. Those one in a lifetime events you just can't plan for. Or you can just simply learn to look up while your wife is shopping...

You know the problem--you really need to get to those exotic locations to find those magical moments. Those one in a lifetime events you just can't plan for. Or you can just simply learn to look up while your wife is shopping...

Love the warmth on the cool background. Pure wisdom and well done Shashin.

rsolti13

MPK2010 - great shots from Big Sur...was at that EXACT location a couple years ago

Ashwin - very nice, all three are excellent! B/W is definitely where the RX1 shines

random shots from the last week or so....loving the RX1 so far

M

mjr

Evening

I arrived in Mozambique a couple of days ago for work, great to be back in Africa. There will be a couple of shots coming up I'm sure but here's a quick grab from earlier today.

Cheers

Mat

M

mjr

So, I thought I'd have a bash at some star photography with the RX1, far from ideal conditions as there was loads of light pollution from the buildings along the beach. I think it's worth sticking with as I'm quite happy with this as a first attempt, time to find a really dark spot to set up in I think!

This was 13 seconds, ISO 5000 I think

One really annoying thing is that Lightroom does not display in Library what you do in Develop, it's rubbish working on an image to return to Library and it looks the same for a couple of seconds before switching to something entirely different!

Anyone got any tips for improving on this? I'm going to try a lower ISO next time and a slightly shorter exposure time as there is a bit of movement in the stars.

Shashin

Anyone got any tips for improving on this? I'm going to try a lower ISO next time and a slightly shorter exposure time as there is a bit of movement in the stars.
The only why to get pin point stars is with a tracker. I would recommend the Vixen Polarie that can be mounted on a tripod and is the size of a 35mm film camera. It not only has sidereal rate for the stars, but also a 1/2 sidereal for landscape/skyscapes that give you double the exposure time based on your tolerance for blur.

Here is a test I did with the RX-1 on a Polarie.

M

mjr

Interesting Shashin, I'll have a look at the mount.

I'm guessing you sacrifice the foreground sharpness with a mount though, this shot I made last night, slightly shorter exposure at 10 seconds, also lower ISO and I really like the outcome, definitely more subtle although the light pollution is the obvious issue here.

The stars are fairly sharp at 10 seconds, not really much movement. Also the noise isn't too bad, I could certainly reduce it more than I have in this shot but I actually like it as it is here. It is possible to really push the processing and get great definition in the Milky Way but I don't think it is really necessary in this shot. What do you think?

M

mjr

Hmmm, the colour noise is poor in this version, certainly not like that on the original so it must be something to do with how the jpeg is being handled!

Shashin

So, here are the trade offs. Short exposures will give less movement, but less signal/information. To get more exposure and see "deeper" into the sky, you need to cope with the motion somehow. Where that balance comes is up to each photographer. If you think about it, it is amazing what we can get from single short exposures--try doing that with film.

(The Polarie 1/2 rate is a method to strike a balance. If you have a 10 second exposure where the motion does not seem bad with a fixed camera, the Polarie will increase that to 20 seconds--both foreground and stars will show motion over longer exposures.)

M

mjr

Afternoon all!

Well, I'm getting bored of the star photography stuff now, it's interesting for sure but not convinced it is for me.

Anyway, after taking some quite nice subtle shots, I decided to point the RX1 at the darkest sky, 10 seconds at ISO 8000 and see what happened! Lots of noise for sure but it cleaned up ok-ish and it was fairly easy to tweak the image to this. I see loads of these very over processed sky pictures, it has something about it but more as an exercise in what CAN be done rather than what SHOULD be done!