The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

JCT

Ah, that's a different story altogether. If it were cheaper, I'd certainly go RX1R. Considering that AA filters are a bit pricey, especially good ones, it should be cheaper, anyways.

I got my RX1 at Amazon Warehouse for $2165, so I don't have the price motivation.
And with just my luck -- Sony, after changing my ship date twice now is unsure when they will get more of the Rx1R - listing a 9/05 ship date now.

Time to see what kind of a grownup I am - if I were 100% convinced that the lack of the filter was a significant advantage I would just wait.

Sigh.

biglouis

And with just my luck -- Sony, after changing my ship date twice now is unsure when they will get more of the Rx1R - listing a 9/05 ship date now.

Time to see what kind of a grownup I am - if I were 100% convinced that the lack of the filter was a significant advantage I would just wait.

Sigh.
To add my two cents - I have just switched from an PC running XP to one running Windows 7 and at last been able to upgrade from LR3.6 to LR5 - which supports the RX1 native raw file. I am staggered at how much more sharper my captures are now versus the old route of using Image Converter and importing TIFFs.

Not to troll other posters who have the RX1R but I just cannot see how much more the images in my camera could be sharper than the currently are.

My benchmark for sharpness is my DP2M which is sharp right down to 100% crop. Before I upgraded to W7/LR5 I was disappointed with the sharpness of the RX1 compared with the DP2M. Now, after upgrading, it more than holds its own.

See original and crop taken with the RX1, how much sharper do you want to be?

f8 iso640 1/320

100% crop to the right.

100% crop centre

JCT

biglouis- I completely agree!

After thinking it over yesterday I called Sony to cancel and figured I would just order an Rx1 from B&H. When I told the Sony guy that it made more sense for me to just order an Rx1 somewhere else instead of waiting indefinitely for an Rx1R he all of a sudden was able to give me a ship date of 8/12.

So if the Rx1R doesn't ship on the 12th - an Rx1 it is!

And thanks for the heads up on LR5, I hadn't ungraded yet.

Hopefully I will finally have an Rx-something in my hands next week...

biglouis

biglouis- I completely agree!

After thinking it over yesterday I called Sony to cancel and figured I would just order an Rx1 from B&H. When I told the Sony guy that it made more sense for me to just order an Rx1 somewhere else instead of waiting indefinitely for an Rx1R he all of a sudden was able to give me a ship date of 8/12.

So if the Rx1R doesn't ship on the 12th - an Rx1 it is!

And thanks for the heads up on LR5, I hadn't ungraded yet.

Hopefully I will finally have an Rx-something in my hands next week...
JCT

Given the choice, if indeed it does ship next week, then of course it makes sense.

Look forward to seeing your shots.

If Sony are having problems shipping the RX1R maybe that portends something else coming down the pike? We live in hope of an interchangeable RX!

LouisB

M

mjr

Evening all

I finally got out with the RX1 again this evening, grabbed a few quick shots. The good thing about being in the North of Sweden is that the sunsets last ages, that and the Swedish girls of course!

Today I am also excited as I booked a couple of weeks in Iceland early September, my brother lives there so will be exploring the island, I'm considering travelling light and just taking the RX1, might not be able to resist taking the Alpa though, will see.

M

mjr

Here's another, not so happy with this one, it's probably my processing more than the file, I'll probably have another go at shooting this tomorrow if the weather plays along.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mjr

Thanks Louis! I can see what I want from the second image but I haven't quite got it yet, I shall have another go I'm sure.

It amazes me how good this camera is, so many great shots on this thread!

Mat

Shashin

The good thing about being in the North of Sweden is that the sunsets last ages, that and the Swedish girls of course!
It is probably that good food and clean air that contributes to the longevity. But don't the boys last ages too?

M

mjr

Good point Will, the male of the species does indeed last a long time too, luckily they are mostly out chopping down trees so it always appears that there are lots of lovely ladies around!

M

mjr

Evening

So, I popped out this evening to try and do a better job of the last picture I posted, I think these may be slightly more successful but to be honest they are all of the same type of thing so may be a bit much. It is truly amazing what raising the shadows can do on these files, I'm hoping I haven't gone to far and ruined the light.

Anyway, here's tonights effort.

biglouis

A major benefit of the RX1 is portability (obviously). It allows me to capture images in lovely detail on my meanderings around the less salubrious but much more interesting areas of the east end of London.

Wedding Arch, Bethnal Green.

M

mjr

As a contrast to Louis' day, a grey day in the North of Sweden. I even love the miserable days here!

M

mjr

Indeed, welcome Pramote, I was wondering when you'd get here! Enjoy this little camera, it's superb.

Tonight I scaled down the landscapes and took a few closer shots, the birch leaves are beginning to drop here, soon we will have winter!

Anyway, I took 2 shots and converted them to B&W as well, I think I may prefer the conversions.