The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

Audii-Dudii

Audii, the first shot from High Line Park looks like it is a Hollywood backset or something from Universal Studios.
Hah! I actually hear that a lot about my photos, especially the ones I take at night. Of course, nighttime is my favorite time of the day to photograph -- I usually manage to stay out all night photographing at least once on every trip and often two or three times, as was the case this last trip -- and photographing urban areas at night is also my primary photographic interest, whether I'm at home or traveling. Daylight street photography is really just something I do to pass the time until the sun sets...

Anyway, here are a few of my nighttime photos from my last NYC trip...

And just to show that I don't always photograph in portrait orientation:

As it turns out, the RX1 acquits itself quite well for my type of nighttime photography. Not all cameras do and it's tough to tell one from the other just by reading reviews, because for 99.9% of reviewers, nighttime photography = high ISO, not long exposures. I had acquired my RX1s -- I have a pair of them, as the first one I bought used broke the next day and refused to focus except via the macro ring -- just a week or so before my trip, so I actually had no idea how well they would work for my purposes until my first nighttime outing in NYC. On the whole, I'm quite happy with the camera -- combined with the Ricoh GW-3 wide-angle converter (which does not work well at night, btw, because it flares up too often), it's now my travel camera of choice -- although I'd be happier still if it did a bit better job of turning point sources of light into starbursts...

Kyndel

I have 8 other cameras, but I actually bought the RX1R because of the very good ability to take nightshots = I think the colors are better at nightscenes, than my other cameras, but I can also see, that it does very fine in B & W.

Audii-Dudii

I have 8 other cameras, but I actually bought the RX1R because of the very good ability to take nightshots = I think the colors are better at nightscenes, than my other cameras, but I can also see, that it does very fine in B & W.
I have at least as many other cameras as you -- including a Contax 645/P30+ outfit -- and I agree with you about the RX1 series' color performance. FWIW, I had initially intended to buy an RX1R, as you did, but after testing the two cameras side-by-side, I confirmed my fear that the RX1R's lack of an AA filter would cause it to suffer moiré issues far more often than RX1 does, which itself is already on the edge when photographing in an urban environment where there are lots of brick buildings. Fortunately, though, aside from this particular aspect, I find the performance of the two cameras similar enough that I don't feel I'm missing much in terms of resolution by photographing with an RX1 instead of an RX1R ... and Yes, I agree with you that they do B&W quite well, too!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If the image is larger than 1200px then the forum software will compress it. Maybe that's what you are seeing. If you size under 1200px on either dimension it should be rendered as is.

I shoot the rx1r myself and I can concur that it's sharp!

scho

My new travel camera, the RX1R arrived yesterday. Just getting the feel of this little beauty and will be taking it on an extended trip soon.

The Ute

I just joined the club too (Rx1r).
Color me impressed.
This little gem is what a Sigma Merrill should have been like.
Click photo to enlarge.

:)

scho

We drove up the west shore of Cayuga Lake today for lunch at a little bistro/winery. RX1R used with a Fotodiox lens hood and Hoya polarizer.

Cayuga Ridge vineyard

Sitting next to the vineyard in the Thirsty Owl bistro with a nice cold glass of Pinot Gris.

View from the bistro

The Ute

A few from my 1st day of shooting w the RX1r.
I can honestly say I have never been more impressed w a camera.
It's everything my DP2 Merrill wasn't along w everything it was.
So it is damn near a perfect camera.
Click on photo to enlarge.

Last edited:

scho

Some RX1R shots taken while touring in the vicinity of Hammondsport, NY with some weekend guests.

The Ute

Thanks Ute. You have also captured some great landscapes with this camera. Very versatile little camera with a very sharp lens.
Thanks.
And attached to an awesome sensor.
Quite the combo.
This little beauty definitely punches above it's weight.
My new secret weapon.

chiquita

The first one is the original Brooklands racetrack at the Brooklands Museum. Sadly, the largest part of the track has been sold and houses/supermarket built on it.