The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

ashwinrao1

Today, I was present for the unboxing of the first RX-1 available in Seattle, to my knowledge...

Photos taken of this RX-1 and the "unboxing"...next up, let's see some photos from the RX1!

While the camera is not mine, I was able to handle and take a few photos. Initial impression:
1. More responsive than I thought
2. Quiet Shutter
3. For me, I'd require some ergonomic adjustments (thumbs up), etc to make it more handle-able...hopefully Tim Isaac is working on something, and/or Sony enables a version with a hot shoe
4. It's quite small. Substantially smaller than the M9 with a 35 mm f/2 mounted...a really impressive feat...
5. Built well, though the finish is a tad slippery where there is no grip...would have preferred the "pebble finish", but this version looks slick
6. Lack of an articulated rear LCD screen is a bummer. The EVF seems that it would be a must for me, but then consequently increases the size and diminishes the ergonomics. It's a trade off for sure

Kudos to Sony for bringing this to the market. I have my hands full with other gear, but for those willing and able, it'll be a fantastic addition to their kits, from what I can tell...so for all of you lucky enough to own one, let the photo posts begin!

m_driscoll

Ash: Nicely photographed! :D

Shashin: You'll love it! :D

JPEGS out of the camera. I didn't get out after I picked it up. I like it!

Cheers, Matt

V

Vivek

Walker certainly has aquired some color, Matt.:)

Reminds me of my problems with the Zony 24/1.8 on the NEX-7.

V

Vivek

It is the same, Matt but without the red/magenta W and the greenish r.

Taylor Sherman

He might be referring to the bokeh fringing? But it's almost un-noticeable in the full frame picture, it just shows up in the 100% crop. I don't see any CA issues in the other pics either.

The close-up of the book looks like something taken with a 100 makro-planar. Impressive.

ashwinrao1

Definitely curious if the RAW images preserve detail. Looks like some JPEG smoothing going on...

Shashin, I'm always "impressed" LOL....Gosh I have a round face ;)

m_driscoll

Definitely curious if the RAW images preserve detail. Looks like some JPEG smoothing going on...

Shashin, I'm always "impressed" LOL....Gosh I have a round face ;)
Ash: Since, I always shoot RAW, I'm going to have to tweak the JPEG settings.

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Rayyan: Thank you, sir!

Here's a couple more of one of our kittens. BTW: the Sony Raw Image Converter isn't good for me. I'll wait for ACR. JPEGS OOC w/LR4.

RX1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/2; ISO 2500

RX1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/2; ISO 2500

RX1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/2; ISO 5000

Cheers, Matt

Shashin

He might be referring to the bokeh fringing? But it's almost un-noticeable in the full frame picture, it just shows up in the 100% crop. I don't see any CA issues in the other pics either.

The close-up of the book looks like something taken with a 100 makro-planar. Impressive.
Absolutely not CA. It is just color mixing in the out of focus image which is completely normal and nothing to do a specific lens.

Taylor Sherman

V

Vivek

What? It's longitudinal chromatic aberration. If the colors all focused the same, the demosaicing wouldn't produce those results.

Meanwhile, more examples on Huff's site, this one shows some more CA under admittedly tough conditions

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/web.jpg
That is correct! :)

If a high contrast street sign is shot, for example, this will show prominently.

It has to do with the IF construction of the lens and is fully anticipated. One has to live with it. Not a big disaster though.

Shashin

What? It's longitudinal chromatic aberration. If the colors all focused the same, the demosaicing wouldn't produce those results.

Meanwhile, more examples on Huff's site, this one shows some more CA under admittedly tough conditions

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/web.jpg
Then why a red and green shift? Not typical CA behavior, especially on such low contrast targets. Given the fact this is not a text book setup for copy work and placed in complex environment, to jump to longitudinal CA as a cause (and an unusual one where it is increasing with a loss of focus) is a bit of a jump, especially when it simply can be the influence of the surroundings.

Steve's images are showing lateral CA (but not longitudinal CA). And, as you pointed out, under very high-contrast conditions.

Sorry, but there has been no real evidence that this lens has such a serious CA problem.

Taylor Sherman

Then why a red and green shift? Not typical CA behavior, especially on such low contrast targets. Given the fact this is not a text book setup for copy work and placed in complex environment, to jump to longitudinal CA as a cause (and an unusual one where it is increasing with a loss of focus) is a bit of a jump, especially when it simply can be the influence of the surroundings.

Steve's images are showing lateral CA (but not longitudinal CA). And, as you pointed out, under very high-contrast conditions.

Sorry, but there has been no real evidence that this lens has such a serious CA problem.
Chromatic aberrations

Meanwhile - more pictures please! ;-)