The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FF NEX

V

Vivek

The rumors are getting stronger. This is a highly anticipated product. Apparently, it will be a reality within an year! :thumbs:

I hope it will be a bigger and better version of the NEX-6.

jfirneno

The rumors are getting stronger. This is a highly anticipated product. Apparently, it will be a reality within an year! :thumbs:

I hope it will be a bigger and better version of the NEX-6.
I think the RX1 may give us an idea of what its potential will be. For me the only question mark is auto-focus in low light.

Regards,
John

V

Vivek

Absolutely, John! :)

We can vicariously see the sensor's capabilities through RX1 and D600. If Sony upgrades that even further, it will be superb!

Let us hope the AF will also improve.

pophoto

I hope the FF NEX is in fact modeled from the positive points of the RX1 rather than a bump in sensor size based off of the NEX system. All the goodness of silent leaf shutter, menu system similar to the A99, high end optics.

Despite having said that, Sony commitment to releasing a good quality lens lineup leaves little to be desired, a lesson that should taken from the Fuji books!

iiiNelson

Yeah all these bodies (that are all pretty much the same and overlap each other) and no real dedication to developing lenses is driving me back to Micro 4/3 and Leica exclusively. I like that I can adapt other lenses and that's great but once the new M comes out and I can get my hands on an MM why should I put my M lenses on a Sony FF NEX? Also why should I stay in the Alpha system when Micro 4/3 is advancing itself and is clearly the most complete mirrorless system? Really the sensor size difference isn't all THAT great.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This new roadmap (idea) is still confusing. Why does Sony need so many overlapping models????

Would be great if they concentrate on a real Pro body with FF - both Axyz and NEX.

Other than that I cannot see why to jump ship from either Nikon D800 or Olympus OMD, especially as the new GH3 is finally a great Pro body for m43. Plus all the latest lenses from Pana like 12-35 and 35-100. Finally!

Lonnie Utah

I, for one, must be the only person out there that could care less about a FF nex. I like the idea, but not with the current e-mount. Yes, I know it's a technical possibility, but given the limitations of the optics, and given the weaknesses we've already seen with the NEX-7, I'm not sure that things translate well if you scale everything up to a FF sized sensor. If folks are grousing about corner softness on the NEX-7 can't WAIT to hear the complaints about the IQ of the NEX-9....

rawhead

...once the new M comes out and I can get my hands on an MM why should I put my M lenses on a Sony FF NEX?
Maybe you shouldn't; but for those of us who can't afford the M but want to shoot Leica (and a million other) optics, why wouldn't we want an FF NEX?

Also why should I stay in the Alpha system when Micro 4/3 is advancing itself and is clearly the most complete mirrorless system? Really the sensor size difference isn't all THAT great.
When you attach a Super-Wide Heliar on one and it stays 15mm and the other makes it 30mm equivalent… well, I call that a HUGE difference.

douglasf13

I, for one, must be the only person out there that could care less about a FF nex. I like the idea, but not with the current e-mount. Yes, I know it's a technical possibility, but given the limitations of the optics, and given the weaknesses we've already seen with the NEX-7, I'm not sure that things translate well if you scale everything up to a FF sized sensor. If folks are grousing about corner softness on the NEX-7 can't WAIT to hear the complaints about the IQ of the NEX-9....
Yep, this is the big problem with putting a FF sensor in e-mount. Other FF mounts, like F mount and M mount, also have a smallish throat diameter like e-mount, but their registration distance is longer. The combination of both a smallish throat diameter and very short registration distance is a mechanical interference issue that can either be solved by:

A) Improving the sensors acceptance of light rays, like Leica, so that Sony can make FF NEX lenses that extend down into the throat more without edge issues. The VG-900 shows that Sony hasn't been interested in this, yet, as it seems to be smearing various M lenses quite a bit.

B) Making longer, more telecentric lenses, which are more or less similar in size to a-mount lenses with adapters.

As Lonnie says, there are already complaints about corner performance with the NEX-7 and some lenses, and Sony's aps-c lenses also get a lot of complaints in regards to how large they are. If Sony doesn't make big sensor improvements to accommodate this, I can't imagine how people will complain about the size of FF NEX lenses. The RX1 gets around this by being fixed lens, but making an interchangeable version will take some work.

p.s. I doubt Sony would put leaf shutters in every lens, but they certainly can work on making NEX shutters a little more quiet.

Lonnie Utah

As Lonnie says, there are already complaints about corner performance with the NEX-7 and some lenses, and Sony's aps-c lenses also get a lot of complaints in regards to how large they are. If Sony doesn't make big sensor improvements to accommodate this, I can't imagine how people will complain about the size of FF NEX lenses.
Oh yeah, I TOTALLY forgot about lens size.

I guess the point is, for me, that I'm willing to accept the limitations of a compact APS-C sized interchangeable lens mirrorless camera more than I'm willing to accept the limitations of a compact FF sized sized interchangeable lens mirrorless camera.

In fact, after thinking about it for a long, long time I think the best solution for me at this point, and looking a Sony's now nebulous future is to pick up a NEX-7 along the new 10-18mm F/4 e-mount lens as a compliment to my A900 (I also own a NEX-5 as well). The NEX-7 would serve as a replacement for my aging A200. This just opens up so many more options for me esp when traveling and or hiking. I love my A900 and Zeiss glass, but sometimes it's too heavy to carry long distances. :)

V

Vivek

Maybe you shouldn't; but for those of us who can't afford the M but want to shoot Leica (and a million other) optics, why wouldn't we want an FF NEX?
It is just not that (affordability) there are more advantages to a live view camera over the RF coupled ones. Even Leica see the benefits and acknowledged this fact with the introduction of it in their new M (which I appreciate very much).

douglasf13

When you attach a Super-Wide Heliar on one and it stays 15mm and the other makes it 30mm equivalent… well, I call that a HUGE difference.
Even if Sony does make a FF NEX, there is no guarantee that it'll perform well with various M lenses. The VG-900 looks to be a bit of a dud away from center with some M lenses. It smears the ZM 28/2.8 so much that it almost reminds me of one of those Fujian 35/1.7 lenses.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I hope you meant Fujian.

The 35/1.7 Fuji (Fujinon-TV, c-mount) lens, unfortunately does not cover the APS-C sensor but within the image circle it projects, everything is sharp, even wide open.

douglasf13

I hope you meant Fujian.

The 35/1.7 Fuji (Fujinon-TV, c-mount) lens, unfortunately does not cover the APS-C sensor but within the image circle it projects, everything is sharp, even wide open.
Whoops! Yep, I meant Fujian. Fixed.

The Fujian has massive field curvature wide open, so only there is only a small area in focus around the focus point. The ZM 28 isn't quite like that on the VG-900, but it does have pretty major smearing as you go towards the corners, so it kinda reminds me of some CCTV lenses on aps-c.

iiiNelson

As Douglas said you're assuming that FF will make all things equal and as I mentioned in my post Micro 4/3 is becoming a complete system without a NEED to adapt.

picman

In fact, after thinking about it for a long, long time I think the best solution for me at this point, and looking a Sony's now nebulous future is to pick up a NEX-7 along the new 10-18mm F/4 e-mount lens as a compliment to my A900
I have the A900 with Zeiss glass and the NEX7 with the 24mm Zeiss. The combination is just perfect. Moreover Zeiss is bringing out new lenses for the NEX next year.

Cheers, Bob.

f/otographer

I personally cant wait for a FF NEX to arrive. My hope is that Sony chooses to go all out on making it a professional body and include weather sealing. Of course, this will mean that they will need weather sealed lenses to so I am not holding out on that.

Since I own no Leica lenses (and probably never will) I am not terribly concerned with M performance issues. But having my old Minolta Rokkors and various M42's at their proper focal length with no crop would be just heaven.

For the love of God Sony, please make this camera live up to its potential.

monza

I personally cant wait for a FF NEX to arrive. My hope is that Sony chooses to go all out on making it a professional body and include weather sealing. Of course, this will mean that they will need weather sealed lenses to so I am not holding out on that.
This didn't stop Leica from offering weather sealing with their promised "M." :)