The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help selecting remote shutter release

W

wbhstlouis

I am looking for a remote shutter release for an A55 and a NEX-5n. My main criteria: must be wireless, must release shutter from behind camera position, hopefully same unit will work with both cameras, I don‘t need fancy features - just shutter release, medium range is all I require, physically be as small as practical, and cost effective - as inexpensive as possible for quality and performance.

Any advice, suggestions, or actual experience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance - Bill

Godfrey

I am looking for a remote shutter release for an A55 and a NEX-5n. My main criteria: must be wireless, must release shutter from behind camera position, hopefully same unit will work with both cameras, I don‘t need fancy features - just shutter release, medium range is all I require, physically be as small as practical, and cost effective - as inexpensive as possible for quality and performance.

Thanks in advance - Bill
The Cactus V5 remote flash triggers offer interface compatibility and shutter release triggering for Sony SLT-A55.

Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V5 Duo - Gadget Infinity

Cactus V5 Shutter Cable for Sony Alpha and Konica Minolta - Gadget Infinity

I don't know of any that connect to NEX models.

Shac

Bill is this what you're looking for? I have one and it works perfectly with the Nex-5n and 6

Oops! forgot the URL but I see Hot has added it - that's the one

Last edited:

mazor

yes wireless IR remote will work for both A series and nex. I do know the nex 5n only has infrared receiver in front, so more than likely this solution will not necessarily work for rear remote firing.

J

JohnW

I have this one, which looks identical to the ebay product mentioned above.

It triggers my Nex 7 from behind, but only from the side or front of the A77.

John

W

wbhstlouis

Thanks for the responses/suggestions. I have physical issues which make hand held shooting more difficult for me than most. With the a55 in camera IS I can make due with focal lengths up to about 50mm. With the NEX 5n not so much. Hence my interest in tripod mounted remote shutter release.

At first glance Sony offered two units: the RM-L1AM Remote Commander (~$70) which is a standard electronic cable release and the RMT-DSLR Wireless Remote Commander (~$30). I didn’t consider the RM-L1AM because it wasn’t wireless and I thought over priced. I actually bought the RMT-DSLR but the copy I received didn’t work so I returned it for refund. It appears that the RMT-DSLR was based on an IR signal. The IR receiver is in the front hand grip of both the a55 and 5n. My concern is whether this will work from behind the camera or if the unit must have a line of sight to the front of the camera - kind of like your TV remote.

I did a cursory check on Google and what I am looking for seems to fall under either IR based or radio wave based. The IR units come from various makers with small ones for under $10. My thanks to Shac, Hot, and JohnW for the links; for that price why not. The radio wave units consist of a transmitter and a receiver mounted on or near the camera with a camera model specific cable from the receiver to the camera. This would work for the a55 but I don’t know about the 5n - where do you mount the receiver? Theses units come in various quality and signal strengths for somewhere between $40 and $100. The Catus unit Godfrey suggested is this type. My thanks to Godfrey, I had not seen this one and it looks pretty good.

I had hoped that forum members had used various models and could offer first hand reports. I will probably go with a small inexpensive IR unit first and then eventually get a radio wave unit.

Attached are some test shots with various lenses on the 5n - on a tripod but with manual shutter release. Doll - 180 apo-Telyt, Buddha - 90 Contax G, and the other two - Leica R 100/4 on bellows.

Thanks again guys.

Bill

Shac

AS I said - I have one of the dirt cheap IR remotes and so far it's worked very very well. As you say, for the price you can't go wrong.

M

macsoft

Thanks in advance - Bill
Hi,
Here is a little review I've made on the redNEX, a remote that can trigger VIDEO on the NEX cameras.
the product page is this one: redNEX - Video & Photo Remote Control for your NEX camera

My review is on youtube here:
video remote control on SONY NEX 5 and a NEX 7 - YouTube