The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RX1 cross frame colour caste test results

Shashin

I wonder if we could get the title of this thread changed to "Colour Cast" rather than "Colour Caste," which might have some misinterpretation about race and social class issues. Just a thought...

Mark, a little off topic, but Sparks Lane (in Tenn) for image above? I first noticed some other images of yours (in the other RX-1 thread) and thought Great Smokies for the images? Just curious and love the scene in the winter time and was tempted to make the trip during this time of year. Are you there now? Thanks!

P.S. *** Just noticed the "hhttp" says "Sparks Lane"...so that answers my question about location.

Hope to hear how Sony resolves this color cast issue as I am thinking about aquiring this camera.

Dave (D&A)
Dave,

Yes, this photo was taken in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park
this past Sunday morning. Specifically, it is Sparks Lane in Cade's Cove. I live about two hours away and visit often for photography. The weather forecast looked promising for some snow so my we booked a room in Townsend for the weekend and hoped for snow. We got lucky and was in the right place at the right time. The park service is quick to close the roads so it can require so luck to get into an area before the roads are closed. Also, Cade's Cove is at a relatively low elevation so it doesn't get snow as often as the higher elevations. The weather can change very rapidly. For example, Sunday morning brought a good snow shower but the skies cleared and it warmed up to the mid 50's by late afternoon. I will be happy to answer any questions you have regarding a trip to the Smokys.

D&A

Dave,

Yes, this photo was taken in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park
this past Sunday morning. Specifically, it is Sparks Lane in Cade's Cove. I live about two hours away and visit often for photography. The weather forecast looked promising for some snow so my we booked a room in Townsend for the weekend and hoped for snow. We got lucky and was in the right place at the right time. The park service is quick to close the roads so it can require so luck to get into an area before the roads are closed. Also, Cade's Cove is at a relatively low elevation so it doesn't get snow as often as the higher elevations. The weather can change very rapidly. For example, Sunday morning brought a good snow shower but the skies cleared and it warmed up to the mid 50's by late afternoon. I will be happy to answer any questions you have regarding a trip to the Smokys.
Appreciate all the info Mark! I was actually there (Cade's cover and surroundings), this past Fall for the 1st time...slightly past the peak folliage. Needless to say for those who have been there, incredible photographic opportunities abound there year round and can't wait to return. I'm partial towards winter scenes like yours. I live a moderately short distance from the Blue Ridge Mountains here in VA. and although we have some old historic homesteads and Shennendoah Nat"l Park & Valley, there is something special about the entire Great Smokies around and near Cade's Cove, from what I experienced not all that long ago. Until I make it back there, I'l have to contend with my favorite "Shed on the Hillside" nearby, that I often photograph year round while traveling to work :). Sort of a little like Sparks Lane...it changes it's look each week throughout the seasons.

As I previously mentioned, I'll await with interest to see how Sony responds to the color cast issue. It obviously can rear it's ugly head and sometimes afffect greatly (to a degree) with what would otherwise be an exceptional image. Thanks again!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Shashin

Dave, apparently the color cast is only if the automatic shading function is on. If you correct for that in your processing software, there is no issue. But the cast thing is great, it is like the worlds smallest tech camera with digital back! ;)

D&A

Dave, apparently the color cast is only if the automatic shading function is on. If you correct for that in your processing software, there is no issue. But the cast thing is great, it is like the worlds smallest tech camera with digital back! ;)
Shashin...although not familar with the operation of this camera, I assume choosing not to use automatic shading function to prevent color casts, simply means one can manually adjust for corner light falloff in post processing as an alternative? If so, how does corner noise values compare between the two? Thanks

Dave

Shashin

Shashin...although not familar with the operation of this camera, I assume choosing not to use automatic shading function to prevent color casts, simply means one can manually adjust for corner light falloff in post processing as an alternative? If so, how does corner noise values compare between the two? Thanks

Dave
I would love to give you an answer, but right now my camera is at Sony to see if they can fix this problem. When I get it back, I will have more to say. The link give by BarJohn above has the Imaging Resource report on this--he posted after I sent the camera.

D&A

I would love to give you an answer, but right now my camera is at Sony to see if they can fix this problem. When I get it back, I will have more to say. The link give by BarJohn above has the Imaging Resource report on this--he posted after I sent the camera.
Thanks Shashin. I'll have a look later tonight at the Imaging Resource Write-up. The more I learn about this issue, as described, the more it seems like it can be addressed with a relatively simply firmware fix....although thats what many said about Leica's red edge issue with some wide angles. :)

Dave (D&A)

mazor

Hi, I have gotten my hands on a RX1 on loan. I have not tested for the cross frame color cast, but what I have noticed in these images I took is that the sky section does seems to have a somewhat slight magenta cast when compared to my 5n and or Nokia 808. Could it be just out of camera JPG processing. Since I do not have a RAW converter for this camera?

Here are the images, click images twice to see more resolutions
The nex5n image is out of camera JPG and has legacy glass 24mm Zuiko prime attached to get similar focal length to the RX1. The Nokia 808 was set to full resolution, with post process contrast and saturation. It obviously has a wide angle lens, but the resolution should make up for that shortfall

Sony RX1

Sony Nex 5n

Nokia 808

Shashin

That Nokia is horrible, unless the tanker trailer is actually green and both the Sony cameras have it wrong. I did not shoot a lot of jpeg, but it simply could be WB: the Nex 5 does look greener.

Mazor,

I see the difference in sky color you refer to. However, judging from the shadows in the building, there is a difference in exposure between the photos. That plus a difference in WB as Shashin mentioned could explain it. Also, note that the RX1 has many different jpg processing styles which can be applied to that could be another difference. Personally, I have never shot jpgs with my RX1 so I have no experience with them. You can download a free 30 day trial of LightRoom that will help you better evaluate the camera using raw files.

D&A

Dave, next time you head down to the Smoky Mountains let me know if you want to meet up.
Thank you ever so much Mark, I most definitely will! In the meantime, maybe if I can get my act together and get caught up with a zillion and one things that I'm more than many weeks behind in (deadline wise)....maybe I can get around to posting a few of my Cades Cove pics along with the others in the near and surraounding areas....in the medium format forums. I just touched the surface while down there...especially when the rains came in on the last day of a relatively short trip down there. Medium Format digital was the type/format camera I chose to use while down there.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

mazor

That Nokia is horrible, unless the tanker trailer is actually green and both the Sony cameras have it wrong. I did not shoot a lot of jpeg, but it simply could be WB: the Nex 5 does look greener.
thanks for comments. My monitor must be bung or something, as the trailor does not look green, but guess compared to the Sony, ie may appear more green?

I thought I would throw 808 into the mix, as it too has a Carl Zeiss Lens fixed into a phone.

mazor

Mazor,

I see the difference in sky color you refer to. However, judging from the shadows in the building, there is a difference in exposure between the photos. That plus a difference in WB as Shashin mentioned could explain it. Also, note that the RX1 has many different jpg processing styles which can be applied to that could be another difference. Personally, I have never shot jpgs with my RX1 so I have no experience with them. You can download a free 30 day trial of LightRoom that will help you better evaluate the camera using raw files.
good call on that, guess I just had white balance to auto. To really get a good exposure I would really have to find a 24mm f2.0 lens. and do manual shutter.

What I really is a tasty Speedbooster EF - NEX, then I would be able to mount that same 24mm lens, and get an extra stop of light ;)

philip_pj

Mark, I would be curious to see the same scene shot looking the other direction. There seems to be lot more going on with other tones and they extend far into the frame towards the road, up to the road in fact - stubble with green-yellow colouration. The sky looks pretty even along the right side edge within the cast.

Almost like a half processed image, confounded by the WB and the near white out making any tone variations all the more obvious. See the gradation of colour along the tree line for example.

What was the direction of the light, I also wonder.

mazor, colour from jpegs is a crapshoot, always and everywhere, even in the same camera RAWs will look different to their jpegs. Everything affects colour in the final file format like jpeg, contrast, tone curve, WB, exposure, and so on. And these are 100kb 8 bit files, conclusions are difficult to make.

Shashin

thanks for comments. My monitor must be bung or something, as the trailor does not look green, but guess compared to the Sony, ie may appear more green?

I thought I would throw 808 into the mix, as it too has a Carl Zeiss Lens fixed into a phone.
But can you gat an optional EVF and $200 lens hood for that Nokia?

I know when I shoot RAW, it is not uncommon for me to hit the tint (green/magenta) slider in WB in my RAW processor. AWB is fairly good, but it is still making guesses from a scene. I think the difference coming from the Nex and RX is just a different guess.

But Wow, what a difference in IQ between the RX and Nex!

mazor

Shashin indeed no such accessories are available for the nokia lol.

For the lens hood one can use their left hand to carefully assist blocking stray light, and as for viewfinder, the AMO Led screen seems to work well in bright sunlight, although the addition of an OVF clip on is not such a bad idea.