The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A900: First Impressions

K

karrphoto

I LOVED my 9. I hated having to trade it in for the Canon 10D, which is what I ended up doing. :( With the Ziess lenses and the 24MP, this might be a mid-point for me before jumping into a MFDB. I could see an A900 with a couple key lenses being able to hold me over for quite a while with landscapes and even more so if there is a canon->sony mount adapter. (dreaming?)

And the only thing that drove me nuts about minolta/sony that still does is they don't use a standard flash hotshoe. They use that inverted crap, which means you have to put an adapter on any "normal" flash to use it with the Minoltas. :(

jonoslack

I LOVED my 9. I hated having to trade it in for the Canon 10D, which is what I ended up doing. :( With the Ziess lenses and the 24MP, this might be a mid-point for me before jumping into a MFDB. I could see an A900 with a couple key lenses being able to hold me over for quite a while with landscapes and even more so if there is a canon->sony mount adapter. (dreaming?)

And the only thing that drove me nuts about minolta/sony that still does is they don't use a standard flash hotshoe. They use that inverted crap, which means you have to put an adapter on any "normal" flash to use it with the Minoltas. :(
Well, I sympathise. Not sure why you need a Canon - Sony adaptor (but I'm not sure it's possible either).

Still, the most surprising thing I've found about the A900 is that, like the 9, it is a loveable camera. With the Zeiss 24-70 it produces pretty good results (you can download the RAW files from my mobileme account if you're interested).

A900 RAW Files

G

gtmerideth

I'm including some sample shots with a 135/2.8 STF lens.
The characteristic of this lens is supposedly the smoothest bokeh of any optic.
I must admit I'm a sucker for bokeh.

The lens has an element that is thicker progressively from the center to it's edge. The process is "apodization". It also performs as a standard 135 as well and the last frame shows that capability. Minolta designed the lens and it's only competitor is the Nikon progressive focus lens. A good review is available at Dyxum.

thanks for looking,
gary

nostatic

jono, you had to post those raw files...

Actually, the K20d isn't night/day worse, but it is ridiculous how much detail was in the a900 file with distant objects. Ridiculous. Credit-card busting ridiculous...

dhsimmonds

Got a nice core of A900 users here now.......
Yes it's interesting to see just how the A900 users have increased in such a short space of time. It would be nice to have our own "Sony" heading just like Nikon and Canon on this forum wouldn't it? :thumbup:

That would take care of all the existing Sony cameras and all the great new stuff that they still hopefully have in development.

Is this a viable possibility Guy and Jack?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes it is possible to make a new Sony forum, really keeping a eye on this actually and if it expands with a more user base than we will do it. We try and keep the spacing down on the website so the front page is not so unwieldily looking. We are certainly neat freaks. LOL

Let's take a look at this when we get back from Moab and see if it has grown more. We will always try and improve this site for our members and make it the best forum possible.

deepdiver

Hi Guys,
I just bought this lens

I read a lot of nice review about it, specially the bokeh...
such as this one

Very interesting lens :)
I finally decided to buy it, and try it.
Here are some quick shots from A900 + STF 135/4.5

To my Eyes, the bokeh is really smooth, so different from other lens... :)

fotografz

Yes it is possible to make a new Sony forum, really keeping a eye on this actually and if it expands with a more user base than we will do it. We try and keep the spacing down on the website so the front page is not so unwieldily looking. We are certainly neat freaks. LOL

Let's take a look at this when we get back from Moab and see if it has grown more. We will always try and improve this site for our members and make it the best forum possible.
We all just need you on board Guy ... then it'll have it's own space :ROTFL:

jonoslack

Andre
I hate you:mad:
I'd been fighting off the 135mm madness . . . until I saw this, and I'm not sure how I can resist.
It looks gorgeous.

Oh Dear!

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I agree Jono - oh dear! I haven't even paid my credit card bill from buying the camera and here we go again....

But I've ordered the 300mm f2.8 and 1.4X, so the 135 will have to wait.

deepdiver

Andre
I hate you:mad:
I'd been fighting off the 135mm madness . . . until I saw this, and I'm not sure how I can resist.
It looks gorgeous.

Oh Dear!
Hi jono
Hihihiihihhi :D
buyyyyyyyyyyy, just buy it, I'm sure u gonna love it too :grin:
However, i thing u should know about this lens.
It's a manual lens and on A900 there is NO focus indicator..!
It's not easy to use it. (completely different from using ZF on Nikon D3 or D700)
(I dont like using split screen, I just wish A900 have a build in electronic rangefinder) :mad:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Yes, I'll report on the 300 mm (my bird lens) in March. Unfortunately I have to spend February in Polynesia - it's going to be tough but somebody has to do it...

I'll be leaving the MFDB at home and taking the a900, CZ24-70, 70-300 G and 12-24 Sigma and an a700 as backup. Gotta travel light!

Bill

douglasf13

Deepiver, there is a focus indicator on the a900. Pick focus point, and then there will be a green dot that lights in the viewfinder.

deepdiver

Deepiver, there is a focus indicator on the a900. Pick focus point, and then there will be a green dot that lights in the viewfinder.
HA?? Are u sure about this?:bugeyes:
I tried it on this lens 135/4.5 STF, the green dot did not light on at all...
However, If i'm using AF lens, such as ZA 24-70 or ZA 135/1.8 set it to manual focus, YES the green dot will turn on, once i hit the focus point that i picked.

I will try it again tonight,
I will let u know
thx u

jonoslack

Hi jono
Hihihiihihhi :D
buyyyyyyyyyyy, just buy it, I'm sure u gonna love it too :grin:
However, i thing u should know about this lens.
It's a manual lens and on A900 there is NO focus indicator..!
It's not easy to use it. (completely different from using ZF on Nikon D3 or D700)
(I dont like using split screen, I just wish A900 have a build in electronic rangefinder) :mad:
HI Andree
I'm a little confused by the specs of the lens. I've seen it stated sometimes that it has 9 blades 'auto aperture' and 10 blades 'manual aperture' I've also seen it indicated as AF - is this not right, or is it just manual focus in it's 'defocus' mode?

Some explanation would be most welcome . . . Generally speaking I don't find manual focusing on a decent ground glass screen any problem though.

Thanks in advance

deepdiver

HA?? Are u sure about this?:bugeyes:
I tried it on this lens 135/4.5 STF, the green dot did not light on at all...
However, If i'm using AF lens, such as ZA 24-70 or ZA 135/1.8 set it to manual focus, YES the green dot will turn on, once i hit the focus point that i picked.

I will try it again tonight,
I will let u know
thx u
Bad news...
I'm at my room now, with A900 + 135 STF.
The focus indicator does not work with this lens.
Just like what i said earlier :)
No green dot

deepdiver

HI Andree
I'm a little confused by the specs of the lens. I've seen it stated sometimes that it has 9 blades 'auto aperture' and 10 blades 'manual aperture' I've also seen it indicated as AF - is this not right, or is it just manual focus in it's 'defocus' mode?

Some explanation would be most welcome . . . Generally speaking I don't find manual focusing on a decent ground glass screen any problem though.

Thanks in advance
Hi Jono

The lens have 9 blades on the 1st aperture blades (the auto one)
the 10th blade is the manual blade ( 2nd blade)
here is the picture of the 10th blade

the 10th blade is a manual blade, cannot be control with camera, we need to close it ( F4.5 - F6.7) manually.

I hope this explanation is good for you, please let me know if this is still not clear.

Andree

jonoslack

Hi Jono

the 10th blade is a manual blade, cannot be control with camera, we need to close it ( F4.5 - F6.7) manually.

I hope this explanation is good for you, please let me know if this is still not clear.

Andree
How peculiar - but yes, I do completely understand now.
Thank you for the information.