The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A900: First Impressions

douglasf13

Wow, deepdiver. That surprises me about the green dot. Mine works with my chipped m42 adapter, so I assumed it would with the STF. Did you try M mode?

deepdiver

Wow, deepdiver. That surprises me about the green dot. Mine works with my chipped m42 adapter, so I assumed it would with the STF. Did you try M mode?
Hi Douglas,
Yes, I tried at all mode, S, A, C and M
all of them did not display the green dot :(
However, if I'm using other lens (AF one) such as ZA 24-70, SAL 50/1.4 or 135/1.8 ZA, the green dot will led on when I'm using manual focusing.

deepdiver

Can't do anything about it :)
BTW, i took a pics using STF 135 this morning.
I want to see how the bokeh re-act if i'm stopping down the second aperture.
Here are the results

F4.5

F5.6

F6.3

Any comments ?

Andree

G

gtmerideth

More bokeh for your pleasure, Jono.

The 135 STF is fun to work with.
gary

S

Shelby Lewis

You guys are killing me... I'm new here, and about to switch from Canon to the a900.

This STF looks really promising also as a natural-light headshot lens... sharp where it needs to be, beautifully smooth everywhere else. Thanks for sharing.

Shelby
www.shelbylewis.com

deepdiver

Hi Cindy and Shelby.
Please don't forget Zeiss 135/1.8 too
It's a very nice lens as well :)
2 shots from A900 + ZA 135/1.8

Andree:)

fotografz

I've just been told my 300 and 1.4X are "in the mail". With luck I'll be able to comment and post a few pix mid-next week before I leave for the tropics.

Stay tuned,
Bill
Do tell, Bill ... Do tell !!!!!!!

No way can I afford that puppy right now, so I have to live vicariously through you ;)

nostatic

You guys are killing me. Today I did some shooting back to back between the DLux4 and Pentax. I have to say the DLux4 stood it's ground quite well. Given that, it makes the Pentax setup somewhat redundant. If I'm going to have something that isn't pocketable (ie dSLR), then I should be getting a serious bump in iq. I do love the handling of the Pentax primes and don't exactly look forward to using the 24-70/a900 setup. But the results see to speak for themselves...

I'm composing ads for my Pentax gear. Already shot the pictures (with the Leica :p ). Now just have to pull the trigger on the submit button.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Do report back on the 300/2.8 Bill ... rumor has it that it is really, really, really good.
Do tell, Bill ... Do tell !!!!!!!

No way can I afford that puppy right now, so I have to live vicariously through you ;)
I'll do my best to make it a thrilling experience!

Incidentally, check out the price at The Camera Store (in Calgary) - and keep in mind the current $CDN to US exchange is about 1.24:1.

Bill

Eoin

I would like to thank you all very £:D€king much for scratching my gear itch :clap: I'd been thinking about this Sony a900 over the past few months and after a trip to Thailand over Christmas I was quite chilled on the idea, almost forgotten.

On getting home and the excellent € to £ exchange rate I googled the a900 and came across your stunning images here, I never really ventured out of the leica section here or on LUF but now that I have, I'm smitten.

Anyway, after a lot of phone calls to the UK which seems to be the hotspot for camera purchases at the moment, I've sourced a 900, 24-70 Zeiss and 135 1.8 Zeiss. Happy days, despite non existent Sony stock levels I should have everything by next weekend and saved a bundle on € prices.

In the mean time I'll just console my self and my lighter bank balance with your stunning images.

So here's to another convert, Thanks :thumbs:

jonoslack

I would like to thank you all very £:D€king much for scratching my gear itch :clap: I'd been thinking about this Sony a900 over the past few months and after a trip to Thailand over Christmas I was quite chilled on the idea, almost forgotten.

On getting home and the excellent € to £ exchange rate I googled the a900 and came across your stunning images here, I never really ventured out of the leica section here or on LUF but now that I have, I'm smitten.

Anyway, after a lot of phone calls to the UK which seems to be the hotspot for camera purchases at the moment, I've sourced a 900, 24-70 Zeiss and 135 1.8 Zeiss. Happy days, despite non existent Sony stock levels I should have everything by next weekend and saved a bundle on € prices.

In the mean time I'll just console my self and my lighter bank balance with your stunning images.

So here's to another convert, Thanks :thumbs:
Hi Eoin
Lovely to see you here - a BIG welcome
Congratulations!
were LCE any help?

I'm jealous of that 24-70. Next winner to get is the lightweight 70-300, it's not too fast, but it's very sharp and has nice bokeh
Go for It!

Eoin

Thanks for the welcome Jono,
Dave wasn't able to help me, but I see exactly what you mean by "they'll be polite". Refreshing experience to say the least.
I think for the moment the 24/70 will do almost 90% of everything for me, the 135 I'm hoping will be my prime portrait lens on FF. I can't quite stretch to the 85 1.4 but I may get some milage out of a 50 or 58 Rokkor with a conversion, it could be a killer lens on the a900 for me.

Anyway, a few days to wait before the packages start to arrive, plenty of reading to be done on the system.

Thanks for your help

jonoslack

Some more bokeh (not like Andree's - but not horrid either!

with the 70-300 G zoom

with the 100mm f2.8 macro

jonoslack

The Ghost in the Machine

both with the 100mm macro

Pretty in pink

with the 70-300 G zoom

with the 100mm macro