The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 35mm f/1.8 OSS Alpha E-mount Prime Lens

skinnypix

Has anyone received the new Sony 35mm f/1.8 for their NEX?

I'm interested in your evaluation of it, and in particular, has anyone compared it to the very sharp (& cheap) Sigma 30mm f/2.8? I prefer the 30mm focal lenth for the NEX, but the idea of a fast "standard" lens with OSS is compelling...if it's really sharp as well!

Thanks, Alan

V

Vivek

Alan, Sorry, I can not add any experience with it. It has been available here. I will not buy one as I think it is 200 Euros more than what I am willing to pay for it (retails for 429 Euros). I can only see youtube "reviews" (more like adverts, IMO) from folks known and unknown promoting it. They do not have to buy it with real money.

The Sigma 30/2.8, IME, is a great lens. I also use a 1930's Leitz Elmar 3.5cm f/3.5 lens on my NEX-6. I have custom adapted a fabulous 32/4 S-Planar for my NEX-7. The Manual focus lenses are tiny and lightweight and do a better job for me than the AF ones made for the E-mount. When AF is required, the Sigma 30/2.8 does a great job. I have not used the 30/3.5 "macro" lens from SOny in a long while. IMHO, Sony should quit making lenses. If they feel compelled to, they should sell it for what they are really worth.

Nagas

That is a little bit harsh, but true nonetheless....The problem is that the Sigmarit (which I own and like quite a bit) is a pretty slow lens at "only" f/2.8. Poorly lit interiors are a NO-NO with it. The Sony 35 has OSS besides being f/1.8, which is why I might have to end up getting one... ALL Sony products (besides it´s bodies maybe) are completely overpriced, nothing new with that.

V

Vivek

Not harsh but very subdued. :)

The Sigma DN 30/2.8 is worth more than any of the Sony primes (OSS or not) at any price, IME.

Very few are going to use f/1.8 at low light (focus hunts like crazy). I have tried many low light snaps with the Sony 50/1.8 (OSS). It has severe limitations. While the Zony 24/1.8 is better than that, even though it has no OSS.

BTW, I am still waiting for a FW upgrade of the 50/1.8 OSS to make use of the NEX-6's (presumably improved AF) capabilities.

Nagas

The "Zony" 24 is not a lens I am interested in, because of the lack of OSS you mention, and because I am not precisely in love with the way it draws (I borrowed one from a friend a couple days and was not impressed with it). It´s a good lens, mind me, but I feel it´s overpriced and is not my cup of tea... The Sigma is awesome, I love it, but I feel limited often by it´s max. aperture, so I´m afraid the only autofocus alternative is the Sony 35. I do have some legacy lenses for when I want to play with manual-focus, but I feel like I need autofocus in certain circumstances..

V

Vivek

By all means buy it and have fun with it. :)

Hopefully, you can share some amazing pictures with us as well. :)

Nagas

I still need to see sample pictures (or even borrow one) before I pull the trigger. My days of impulsive purchases are over (getting older does have a couple benefits).:toocool:

In the meantime, I´m enjoying my beautiful Sigmarit... (only autofocus lens I own).

Mark K

I was very tempted by Sigma 19mm and 30mm primes but at the first second of seeing Sony, I could not resist and bought one. This lens, together with the new 10-18 swept away my fears of using Nex system.

Mark K

Great lens after a few time.... and even becomes my standard lens on Nex6...with a close up adapter, it is a great macro lens