The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax to E-mount AF adapter!

A report from the test site indicates that the small wheel is difficult to use with big hands. Will need to wait to see.
From site below via google translate:
"Get the Arts beam ring can be made, G28 simple test, cloudy afternoon in Guangzhou, poor light.
1,2.8 aperture focusing speed is relatively slow (not calculated), focusing loud;
2,4 aperture can not be 100% focus, more than 8 unable to focus, arts phone beam, confirmation light (cloudy in Guangzhou), small aperture unable to focus in low-light conditions, but fortunately, the manual focus wheel;
3, manual focus wheel is available, but the wheel is too small, large fingers to maneuver;
4, no manual, not easy to succeed when the lens is first installed, Fortunately, the clerk guidance, try more than a few job; Arts Taobao on the installation method introduced.
The following moneyqian supplement 2013-4-22 21:21
NEX6 + G28 test, ring workmanship is very good, beautifully packaged, very satisfied, thanks to the large beam."

Also one of the individuals in charge mentioned on the same thread that shipping is delayed in order to fine tune the adapter,
"Mount assembly aspects need to be adjusted, it is not scheduled delivery, delivery date to be determined, if they can not wait for the refund friends go to Taobao apply for a refund. Tim trouble, please forgive me."

CONTAX G-NEX mount autofocus R & D Review - ± | Sony / KM / M SLR / DSLM Forum - color film loudly -

another delay and 2nd batch differs

Oh my, more delays, the following from Mxcamera earlier today,
CONTAX G-NEX mount autofocus R & D Review - ± | Sony / KM / M SLR / DSLM Forum - color film loudly -
mxcamera
Pickle
The Foaming points: 0.075
Subject: 0
Register: October 2012

Mainly of the mount structure too review, and a widget produced the after hair have a small problem, in need of urgent adjustment, so delays.
QC is really done very very strict, especially since the metal part of the processing, correction is not simple.

The next batch of the beam is going to modify the first batch (The booking) is almost all metal parts,
The next batch will be adding more plastic parts (because the model was a piece of good quality and installation of the workers is relatively easy)
So I bought the first batch of people, I congratulate you, your batch has been limited version, almost no longer!
2013-04-25 13:00
Reference Show author do not look at the return of top personal AutoText 520 posts

jfirneno

Re: another delay and 2nd batch differs

Oh my, more delays, the following from Mxcamera earlier today,
mxcamera
Pickle
The Foaming points: 0.075
Subject: 0
Register: October 2012

Mainly of the mount structure too review, and a widget produced the after hair have a small problem, in need of urgent adjustment, so delays.
QC is really done very very strict, especially since the metal part of the processing, correction is not simple.

The next batch of the beam is going to modify the first batch (The booking) is almost all metal parts,
The next batch will be adding more plastic parts (because the model was a piece of good quality and installation of the workers is relatively easy)
So I bought the first batch of people, I congratulate you, your batch has been limited version, almost no longer!
2013-04-25 13:00
Reference Show author do not look at the return of top personal AutoText 520 posts
Okay, I have no idea what is being said. Care to speculate?

Regards,
John

Further comments today indicate that they are working out some issues. They appear to be switching production in the second batch to exchange some plastic for metal parts. This is apparently because they are having a difficult time adapting these metal parts in order to improve performance.
They apologized today to Farworm's compaint on the same thread:
Pickle

Re: farworm Post at 2013-4-26 09:37
Are speculating Oh, there is no accurate news, the waiting time is really boring

Mxcamera's response:
We understand that, but I'm really sorry!
As soon as possible!

First batch shipped according to post from company in thread linked above,

kpliang
Senior kimchi
The Foaming points: 35.613
Subjects: 13
Register: March 2006
In addition, taking into account the mount processing and the difficulty of installation and efficiency, is considering another version, to increase the proportion of plastic parts, this version will continue to produce, but scheduling will be reduced, prices are likely to be adjusted.
The first shipment has been issued after the stock being issued every day, thank you for your support and patience, because these mount processing and installation has great difficulties, the daily output will not be much, so the back beat friends have to wait some days.

Jim DE

In this case my bet is no news is not good news...... I am reading elsewhere on the net that early adopters are far from happy with this device. Poor focusing above f4, slow, noisy, manual focus operates against the focus motor, works best on the 90 poorly on the 35 down.........Sad, because it would of been great if it worked as it was expected to.

This is one time I did well not jumping in before the waters were tested.

jfirneno

In this case my bet is no news is not good news...... I am reading elsewhere on the net that early adopters are far from happy with this device. Poor focusing above f4, slow, noisy, manual focus operates against the focus motor, works best on the 90 poorly on the 35 down.........Sad, because it would of been great if it worked as it was expected to.

This is one time I did well not jumping in before the waters were tested.
Jim:

Last couple of days a couple of user reports on DPR didn't sound bad. Part of the problem is the contrast autofocus on the NEX just isn't very responsive with a screw drive lens. What I hope is that the "manual" focus using the motor is sensitive enough to allow very good focusing control. If that isn't there then it won't be worth it to me.

Regards,
John

working pretty well with 21mm, 35mm, 45mm, & 90mm on a 5n.
But loud it is in an old fashion sense. My daughter asked if I now have an old camera.
Manual focus is very nice!

Last edited:

jfirneno

John:

How would you rate the ease of attachment of the lens and adapter? That was always a point of contenetion with the metabones adapter. Also, does the manual focus have enough fine control for adjustment at increased magnification? Will it pass the pixel peeping test? After all the sharpness of the 45mm is one of the big attractions of the Contax G lens!

Regards,
John

I like the Kipon so much more than the Metabones for ease of use at attaching a lens on and taking it off the camera. The AF adapter is more like the Kipon in that you just place it on and turn the Contax G lens until it clicks on. To remove one needs to move the release tab and then twist the lens shaft in the opposite direction. I think the manual focus control does an excellent job shifting the focus at a fixed pace with out jumps and starts. For me it is quicker and sometimes that helps family relations! Even indoors on the 28mm it is working well, even though there are reports of difficulties with the 28mm. I am looking forward to using it in museums where it will help be to copy art works more quickly. So far it seems to do a very good job in okay or well lite rooms and I can then concentrate on composition and getting a straight on shot.

jfirneno

I like the Kipon so much more than the Metabones for ease of use at attaching a lens on and taking it off the camera. The AF adapter is more like the Kipon in that you just place it on and turn the Contax G lens until it clicks on. To remove one needs to move the release tab and then twist the lens shaft in the opposite direction. I think the manual focus control does an excellent job shifting the focus at a fixed pace with out jumps and starts. For me it is quicker and sometimes that helps family relations! Even indoors on the 28mm it is working well, even though there are reports of difficulties with the 28mm. I am looking forward to using it in museums where it will help be to copy art works more quickly. So far it seems to do a very good job in okay or well lite rooms and I can then concentrate on composition and getting a straight on shot.
John:

I've heard enough good things lately that I think I'll order one when they're available later this month.

Regards,
John

scho

I just received the new version 2 "Eagle" DEO AF adapter. I haven't used it too much yet, but preliminary trials with a 28mm Biogon and 90mm Sonnar were impressive. AF accuracy was excellent at apertures of f/2.8 to f/5.6. Focusing speed is on the slow side, but useable for my needs. In dim light there is a fair bit of hunting for sharp focus when stopped down to f/8. In normal AF operating mode a half press on the shutter will lock focus and then one can use the little focus wheel on top of the adapter for MF fine tuning if desired (peaking is automatic and magnification can be engaged as usual) the wheel only needs very light pressure and it is very smooth because it is still operated by the motor. Very easy to switch back and forth from AF to MF. Nice to finally have a digital AF Contax G system, even though it is on a NEX body.

jfirneno

I just received the new version 2 "Eagle" DEO AF adapter. I haven't used it too much yet, but preliminary trials with a 28mm Biogon and 90mm Sonnar were impressive. AF accuracy was excellent at apertures of f/2.8 to f/5.6. Focusing speed is on the slow side, but useable for my needs. In dim light there is a fair bit of hunting for sharp focus when stopped down to f/8. In normal AF operating mode a half press on the shutter will lock focus and then one can use the little focus wheel on top of the adapter for MF fine tuning if desired (peaking is automatic and magnification can be engaged as usual) the wheel only needs very light pressure and it is very smooth because it is still operated by the motor. Very easy to switch back and forth from AF to MF. Nice to finally have a digital AF Contax G system, even though it is on a NEX body.
Carl:
Mine just got delivered Monday. But I've been fumbling around without any set up or procedure info. Where is the best info for using this thing? There was nothing in the box.
Regards,
John

scho

Carl:
Mine just got delivered Monday. But I've been fumbling around without any set up or procedure info. Where is the best info for using this thing? There was nothing in the box.
Regards,
John
John,

There was a copy of these instructions in the box with my adapter. The instructions are confusing, but there are some good tips in this DPR thread by blue_skies. I think that I had to first set the aperture to 57 on camera, take a shot, an then set the aperture to widest available (2.8 for the biogon) and leave it there. If the camera is initially locked in MF mode then set camera to F 25, take a shot to switch it back to AF mode, and then back to wide open.

jfirneno

John,

There was a copy of these instructions in the box with my adapter. The instructions are confusing, but there are some good tips in this DPR thread by blue_skies. I think that I had to first set the aperture to 57 on camera, take a shot, an then set the aperture to widest available (2.8 for the biogon) and leave it there. If the camera is initially locked in MF mode then set camera to F 25, take a shot to switch it back to AF mode, and then back to wide open.
Thanks Carl, I bought mine on ebay and the seller didn't bother to send the instructions along. I'll check out the thread too.

Regards,
John

scho

I need to temper my initial enthusiasm for this adapter a bit. Today I took it out walking with the NEX 6 and Contax G 28 Biogon attached. AF was very difficult at f/5.6 and wouldn't focus at all at f/8. Seems to be an "f/4 and be there" adapter. Here are a couple of sample shots at f/4.

scho

Just received my replacement adapter (bent pin on first copy). Two floral shots using the Contax G 45 planar with the new AF adapter.

Last edited: