The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax to E-mount AF adapter!

V

Vivek

It is a great development.

I am pretty sure that because of NEX use possibility, the lens price will not go up. They are not all that great on the NEX (may be barring the 90mm). The wides are no match for the Sigma offerings in terms of price and results.

douglasf13

It is a great development.

I am pretty sure that because of NEX use possibility, the lens price will not go up. They are not all that great on the NEX (may be barring the 90mm). The wides are no match for the Sigma offerings in terms of price and results.
The G 45mm is also very, very good on NEX. The 35, while not as sharp as the Sigma, is still a stop faster, and it has a nice rendering. Granted, the new Sony 35/1.8 and upcoming Zeiss 32/1.8 will probably make the G 35 less popular on NEX.

Either way, cool adapter.

Nagas

I had the G45, used it with the Nex7 and found it stellar. One of the best lenses I've owned. I just hated the adapters available (had a few, including the Metabones with the wide ring) and the focusing experience was quite rough. I ended up selling it. Do miss it sometimes...

Remember how much the G lenses went for just acouple years ago? Our mirrorless-mania has driven the prices of legacy lenses up considerably in the last few years. The fact hat you can now auto-focus with this lenses will only make them more desirable, IMHO.

douglasf13

Yeah, I just sold 3 G lenses last month for an ok price, although I did notice that their price has come down from its peak from a year ago.

I think the G45 was fabulous on the NEX-7, too. That and the 30 Sigmarit are as sharp as it gets on Nex.

p.s. glad to see my "Sigmarit" term sticking around. :)

zombii

I bought one of these Techart EF to NEX adapters. It works although the AF is slow. I'm thinking a lot of that is the Sony AF rather than the adapter itself.

I just picked up three black G lenses - 28, 45, 90 - to use on my X-Pro and in anticipation of the AF adapter on NEX (still have the trusty 5N sitting in the camera drawer). I'm not overly optimistic that the AF speed will be anything but "nearly adequate" but I like the fact that someone is doing this and with the hybrid phase/contrast systems coming out now, AF may eventually be quicker than the original G system.

Would love to see them do this adapter on the Fuji as well.

Jim DE

My only concern is if it will have the ability to manual focus as well. So far from what I see in the videos I don't see a focus ring or wheel turning during the autofocus function. I don't know if I would be willing to sacrifice the ability to manual focus for a full autofocus only adapter.

philber

I agree with Jim. Plus the fact that, with such sharp lenses on a NEX7, almost-perfect focus doesn't cut it IMHO.

monza

Looks pretty cool, but:

1. how much
2. is there a manual focus override, and how does the override work ergonomically
3. how fast (slow) is it

Hmm, they are working for me, except for the second Google Translate in post 12.
At the link below are some videos of the adapter's speed at week 7 of development (I guess). Looks like a second or so for focus time,
wuji-week7

Here is a list of observations from using the adapter on a 5N,

Talk about the test on the 5n.
1,5 n basically like week7 of 5c secondary focus, every time the need to pull the bellows.
2, G28 focusing speed about 1.8 to 2 seconds, G35 2 ~ 2.1 seconds, G45 2.2 ~ 2.4 seconds, G90 3 seconds.
3, G45 during the day, sunny F11 previous, F8 go wherever they want, in the case of indoor and cloudy, F5.6 wherever.
4, G28 during the day sunny, F8 on, indoor and cloudy F5.6 go wherever they want.
5, G35 Ibid G90 at night under indoor low-light situations F4 success rate of 99%, 99% daytime outdoor F11 success rate basically F8 refers to wherever they want.
7, during focusing, the lens will external force is applied (by hand and hold), there will be a crash situation, need to shutdown restart. But no one right to do so, and I belong to this destructive test.
8, can face registration, and face detection.
9 Ring of contact rebound forces, a 1,2 electric shock length is inconsistent.
10 In addition to the G21 does not cut *** ring sweaty, all other lens does not cut *** on the ring easily.
11, the body can automatically identify the maximum aperture of the lens A file test, body aperture required to hit the maximum lens aperture freely adjusted.
12 M files, fuselage aperture and lens aperture case, correct exposure and and properly recorded Aperture Shutter jiaoduan information, not record lens vendor information.
13, using multiple focus, composition constant, occasional secondary focus can on a very short stroke adjusted.
14, using the center focus on small objects, background objects.
15, it is recommended that can be used freely point focus, focus range is smaller, higher precision.
16, the power situation can still play day, repeatedly focusing, a battery basic enough, no fear to bring a backup power case.

The above found on the following page,
CONTAX G-NEX AF mount R & D Review -

jfirneno

One thing I read that was disappointing was that the beta units being tested did not have manual focus capability. There seemed to be a statement (although the translation wasn't clear) that the commercial unit might include it. This might have been wishful thinking (or perhaps a suggestion to the manufacturer by the beta-tester). If it won't have manual focus capability that would be a real disappointment. That would force me to switch between the metabones adapter (which is a pain to assemble) and this auto-focus adapter multiple times which would be a hassle.

Regards,
John

Last edited:

monza

I'm skeptical. I applaud the engineering effort, I just am not sure it will be rewarded. It would take a high torque motor and some good battery power to drive those lenses so they are speedy focusers. Not sure this is really possible without seriously upsetting the form factor of the NEX. What about battery life? I'm assuming it doesn't draw power from the camera, but maybe it does, through the lens pinouts. If not, it must have its own supply. Maybe all these have already been addressed but the web page loads so slowly I gave up.

Not sure what this adapter will do to the Nex battery. There are so many test updates, whatever happens, it might be better to wait for a second generation.

Two tests have been added with the G 45 lens on the full frame VG 900. So a test in the right direction for a future full frame Nex.

wuji-week7

The text below is from a google translation at the page linked below. Below this discussion on the same page, mention is made of a Contax G 35-70 zoom focusing successfully via the adapter on a Nex camera.

CONTAX G-NEX AF mount R & D Review -

"Afternoon to sony store Ring connection VG900 simple test
1 Ring connection screwing than my 5c obviously matters a lot, I tried VG900 two are the same
2 camera focus is entirely possible, the situation and focus 5n similar seems to be not continuous secondary focus, every time the focus should be re-pull the entire time the video has been released I Youku space: wuji-week7
3 Video shooting position and A bayonet lens plus three generations attached rings similar, no way to continuous focus in video mode, whether shooting or standby, to be used for photo keys or focus button single focus.
4 in the store at the same time, few people look at vg900 the test of time is very limited, allow me to plug the card test I have more accidents, g45 a lens test site only connection, but I observed: the original friction to the plastic part of the body has become photosensitive element, and step back, it is estimated that g21 is likely to have been not the card, but still did not dare to try, Changsha price 21900 ah."