The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

Shashin

It is funny how these old ideas like focal reducers keep coming around. I always thought the idea of mirrorless systems were that they were compact. Putting larger 35mm Canon and Nikon SLR lenses on them seem a little half-baked.

monza

Well you can always just buy a Noctilux or a 50/1.1 Voigtlander and put it on your NEX, instead. But both of those are actually larger than using the reducer, not to mention pricier. :)

Plus, you only get one focal length. If you get an SLR 50/1.2 and a plain (inexpensive) adapter, and a reducer, you end up with two focal length options.

V

Vivek

Crap, now I need a 50/1.2 and a 24/2 :)
OM lenses. :)

OM 50/1.2 + Speed Booster ~ same length (or may be a tad less than) as the Sony E 50/1.8.
OM 24/2 combo would be even more compact.

monza

24 Summilux on NEX, $6k. Equivalent FOV, 36mm. Equivalent DOF, f2.1. Equivalent max aperture, f/1.0.

35/1.4 C/Y on NEX, ~$1000. Equivalent FOV, 38mm. Equivalent DOF, f/1.5. Equivalent max aperture, f/1.0.

Last edited:

Shashin

Well you can always just buy a Noctilux or a 50/1.1 Voigtlander and put it on your NEX, instead. But both of those are actually larger than using the reducer, not to mention pricier. :)

Plus, you only get one focal length. If you get an SLR 50/1.2 and a plain (inexpensive) adapter, and a reducer, you end up with two focal length options.
The specs don't allow for a lens with an aperture larger than f/1.26. It looks like you need f/1.4 lenses or slower.

monza

Correct. I was stating that the only other option is to put a native fast lens on the camera with a plain adapter.

This reducer concept will not work with rangefinder lenses.

Ben Rubinstein

Yup, I love the idea of my 50mm Takumar becoming both a fast (FF equiv) 50mm and also a fast 85mm lens! Just need to take the adaptor off!

Been playing with the NEX 7 files again, bit noisy but they can take a whole lot of punishment in post to negate a lot of the tonality difference between it and FF. Oh and the adaptor will give me a full stop of iso back. Have to admit to being really tempted. A 5D3 for use with my alt lenses needing a hack and a video viewfinder to get accurate manual focus or a Nex 7 with this adaptor at not much over half price, built in peaking, use of all my canon lenses (inc AF on my 16-35LII) plus anything that can take a canon adaptor like my Pentax Takumar or lensbaby, oh and it's going to be about 1/3 of the size even without the viewfinders. You have to admit it does sound tempting if you already have a FF DSLR to do the fast focus stuff.

But of course we wait to hear from users in the real world. The glamour of the reviews ends up hitting cold hard facts in the real world. That's where we find out for real whether we have snake oil or the real McCoy.

Shashin

The glamour in the real world ends up hitting cold hard facts.
It will be interesting in how fast the camera can drive the lens and how the lenses will feel with CDAF. It will be interesting to see what happens to corner sharpness too--it might improve some lenses and do the opposite for others. I wonder what would happen with the 17mm PC lens?

Stefan Steib

https://vimeo.com/57292607#

as I would judge from that - AWESOME !
Even if this would be a solution for video only, this would be a killer.
But if stills actually also get sharper and 1 stop brighter, this thing will be sold like hamburgers at McDonalds.......

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

mazor

24 Summilux on NEX, $6k. Equivalent FOV, 36mm. Equivalent DOF, f2.1. Equivalent max aperture, f/1.4.

35/1.4 C/Y on NEX, ~$1000. Equivalent FOV, 38mm. Equivalent DOF, f/1.5. Equivalent max aperture, f/1.0.
nice calcs monza, wonder if the adapter will transpose these equivalent Apertures for the likes of the EF to nex reducer adapter, rather than just putting actual aperture data into the exif.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Very interesting. I assume that much will depend on the optical quality of the adapter, Hopefully, the adapter for m4/3 will be 0.5x. In that case, I look forward to using my OM WA lenses on m4/3. Does anybody know how the adapter will affect DOF? Will it be the same as if the lens were used on a 35mm camera?

monza

I believe they are all 0.71x reduction.

Equivalent DOF for m4/3 would be (2 x 0.71 x the f-stop) (2 being the crop factor of m4/3)

f/otographer

I have been following this all day and I must say I am very excited. This (if it works as promised) opens up all kinds of new opportunities for mirrorless cameras.

Here's a question though. Lets say I mount the EF adapter on my NEX and then mount a Contax/Yashica to EOS adapter on the adapter. Would C/Y Zeiss lenses then work? I see no reason why they shouldnt. Same goes for popping in an M42 to EOS adapter as well I suppose. That would be sweet.

Now I just hope they announce a Minolta Rokkor version. :)

Taylor Sherman

Should work f/otographer; the optics need to be able to make any EF lens work, so who's to say the C/Y+Adapter isn't just a funny-shaped EF lens? :) Essentially, if the image was going to focus correctly on a FF Canon sensor, it'll focus correctly on the Nex sensor.

Taylor Sherman

Very interesting. I assume that much will depend on the optical quality of the adapter, Hopefully, the adapter for m4/3 will be 0.5x. In that case, I look forward to using my OM WA lenses on m4/3. Does anybody know how the adapter will affect DOF? Will it be the same as if the lens were used on a 35mm camera?
Yes, DOF should be the same. DOF is determined by the geometry between the subject and the apparent aperture of the lens (meaning the image of the aperture when looking at the front of the lens).

This adapter essentially just takes what would have been the FF-sized image plane and shrinks it down to APS-C (or m4/3). Whatever was in focus will still be in focus, whatever was not will still not be in focus.

That is, if I understand it correctly. . .

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
So my plan to buy a 6D to use as a "Digital 35mm OM" might be replaced by a NEX or an X. An X-E2 with the digital split screen of the X100s would be perfect for this.

V

Vivek

The possibilities of the speed booster on the m43rds are even more than the one for the APS-C sensors.

Consider the Sigma 8-16 zoom made for APS-C. With 0.71x factor, on the m43rds, it becomes the widest ultrawide possible.

The white paper I linked above discusses quite a few possibilities.

If you look carefully, you would also find that there are two separate optical designs- one for m43rds and another for APS-C. There are specific reasons for this.

Personally, I would consider using my OM lenses with the speed booster on the NEX'. The OM 50/1.2 which is the lightest and more compact of all the 35mm lenses being the most attractive.

Ben Rubinstein

Yes, DOF should be the same. DOF is determined by the geometry between the subject and the apparent aperture of the lens (meaning the image of the aperture when looking at the front of the lens).

This adapter essentially just takes what would have been the FF-sized image plane and shrinks it down to APS-C (or m4/3). Whatever was in focus will still be in focus, whatever was not will still not be in focus.

That is, if I understand it correctly. . .
Thing is that when you compress an image the look is of more DOF. Will that translate to this adaptor? Probably. They are saying that the compression will get rid of a lot of other artifacts so I assume the compression will do the same for the DOF.

monza

The DOF is the same as it would be if a native lens were attached.

I.e., speed boost a 50/2.8 Macro to 35/2 and attach it...on m4/3, the DOF will be equivalent to a 70/4 (2x crop factor.)

This is exactly the same as if a 35/2 native lens were attached.

kainekainekaine

Consider the Sigma 8-16 zoom made for APS-C. With 0.71x factor, on the m43rds, it becomes the widest ultrawide possible.
Interesting that if using the GH1/2's true multi aspect 16:9 mode in still or movie mode would produce

8x0.71x1.83 = 10.39

Would it vignette?