The GetDPI Photography Forums  

Go Back   The GetDPI Photography Forums > Digital Camera Forum > Sony

Site Sponsors

Like Tree456Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2013   #101

Re: Speed booster for NEX

Since there are so many EF adapters available, the Nex EF speedbooster appears to be one of the best bets for using different lens mounts on a Nex camera. Or might using two adapters with a single lens cause sufficient difficulties in having a good fit that it would be worth the expense to have separate speed boosters? What are people thinking about this?
John
John Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013   #102
Super Duper

I am getting an EOS SB and a bunch of adapters to use OM, M42, Nikon, Leica R, Exakta, T- Mount, etc lenses. I do not think anyone can afford to buy a bunch of Speed boosters.
I do not have any EOS lenses!

Likely, there will be issues with the extra adapters. One has to be careful though.
Vivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
Can I ask you K-H whether you are seeing any sharpness degradation in the corners?

Hi Ben,

Great question. I asked myself the same thing and investigated it a little bit.
So, I displayed a bunch of characters on my 30" Apple Cinema Display and took images of them with these systems:

Sony NEX-7 + Metabones E mount - L/R Speed Booster + Leitz Bellows II + Leitz 16558 Ring + Leitz Tele-Elmar 135/4 lens head and
Nikon D800E + Nikon F- Leica M Adapter + Leitz OUFRO/16469 Ring + Leitz Bellows II + Leitz 16558 Ring + Leitz Tele-Elmar 135/4 lens head

Wide open the two images look like this:
Speed booster for NEX-_dsc4842_960x640.jpg Speed booster for NEX-_dsc3442_960x641.jpg

As one can see at the left, there is still some vignetting caused by the Speed Booster for the Tele-Elmar 135/4.

So that you can decide for yourself, I have posted full resolution JPGs for f=4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, and 22.
The results for the APS-C size sensor NEX-7 with Speed Booster can be found here: 2013-01-20 NEX-7 SpB TE135f4 - winklers' Photos
The results for the FF sensor D800E ...................................... can be found here: 2013-01-20 D800E TE135f4 - winklers' Photos

What do you conclude from these tests?
I always appreciate feedback from all sides. Thanks.

With best regards, K-H.
k-hawinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013   #104
Super Duper

Seems significantly softer to me but then has the magnification changed between the images?

Ben Rubinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013   #105
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post

What do you conclude from these tests?
I always appreciate feedback from all sides. Thanks.

With best regards, K-H.
Hi K-H, Thanks for sharing the results. Where is the exit pupil on the Tele Elmar 135mm with the bellows set-up?

Do you have the 100/4 Macro Elmar?

I suspect the results will be surprising with the APO Macro Elmarit 100mm with its internal focusing.

Quite frankly, I am surprised by the results of the NEX-7 going against the 800E.
Old 21st January 2013   #106

Quote:
Seems significantly softer to me but then has the magnification changed between the images?

I put the tripod at somewhat different distances from the 30" display for the two setups as I was only interested in looking at the corners.

Best, K-H.
Old 21st January 2013   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
Hi K-H, Thanks for sharing the results. Where is the exit pupil on the Tele Elmar 135mm with the bellows set-up?

I suspect the results will be surprising with the APO Macro Elmarit 100mm with its internal focusing.

Quite frankly, I am surprised by the results of the NEX-7 going against the 800E.

Vivek,

Here is an interesting post by jpr2 on dpreview:

Metabones Speed Booster - Vignetting with Tele-Lenses: Sony NEX Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50705213

Best, K-H.
Old 21st January 2013   #108
Super Duper

K-H, I did not understand that post (and gives no information pertaining to the question I asked you). The SB you have , AFAIK, does not have any electronic contacts and even the one in Canon EOS mount, unless one uses EOS lenses, would have no lens information relayed to the camera.

(Incidentally, the color shifts that post is discussing is also present in your D800E image but in a different form)
Old 21st January 2013   #109

Quote:
K-H, I did not understand that post (and gives no information pertaining to the question I asked you). The SB you have , AFAIK, does not have any electronic contacts and even the one in Canon EOS mount, unless one uses EOS lenses, would have no lens information relayed to the camera.

(Incidentally, the color shifts that post is discussing is also present in your D800E image but in a different form)

Vivek,

I just checked and verified there are no electronic contacts on my Speed Booster.

I don't have the Macro Elmar.

Could you please elaborate on your question about the exit pupil?

Thanks, K-H.
Old 21st January 2013   #110

I decided to take pictures of the screen as one gets extremely strong moiré patterns in the viewfinder or the LCD panel when in focus. So, you really have to look at the full frame images at 100% to avoid the moiré patterns as every individual pixel of the monitor is clearly visible. At 100% view there are no color shifts visible with the D800E, at least to my eyes. But there are some in the corners with the Speed Booster.

Last edited by k-hawinkler; 21st January 2013 at 07:13.
Old 21st January 2013   #111
Super Duper

Quote:
Vivek,

I just checked and verified there are no electronic contacts on my Speed Booster.

I don't have the Macro Elmar.

Could you please elaborate on your question about the exit pupil?

Thanks, K-H.
K-H
If you go to the link you posted here (#54), the importance of the exit pupil is explained (as well as there are indications in the white paper with the ray diagrams as Robert pointed out). Simply, the farther the lens head is from the SB optics, the problems with enhanced vignetting and other ills.

Since you showed a shot with the Elmarit R 90/2.8 (post #89), that would be a good candidate to do the comparisons with the NEX-7 + SB and D800E, I think.
Old 21st January 2013   #112

Quote:
K-H
If you go to the link you posted here (#54), the importance of the exit pupil is explained (as well as there are indications in the white paper with the ray diagrams as Robert pointed out). Simply, the farther the lens head is from the SB optics, the problems with enhanced vignetting and other ills.

Since you showed a shot with the Elmarit R 90/2.8 (post #89), that would be a good candidate to do the comparisons with the NEX-7 + SB and D800E, I think.

Hi Vivek,

Thanks. I have to go back to the reference in post #54 when I have more time.

Also, to be precise I don't have the Elmarit R 90/2.8 (post #89).
In fact I used the lens head of an old M lens, namely from the Elmarit 90/2.8, stuck the lens head in a short focus mount, and converted with on old Leitz adapter into an R lens. So, I suspect it will behave similar to the TE 135/4.

Best, K-H.
Old 21st January 2013   #113

Thanks Vivek for your comment on adapters.
I do wonder whether the EF pins on the lens side of a Nex Canon speedbooster would interfere with lenses on a thin adapter, like for a Pentax K or Contax CY. If anyone is using adapters with a Canon speedbooster, please report on the fit!
John
John Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013   #114
Super Duper

Quote:
I put the tripod at somewhat different distances from the 30" display for the two setups as I was only interested in looking at the corners.

Best, K-H.
I didn't read properly and didn't realise that they were not both on the nex. The left hand picture is to my eye softer. Is that the D800?

Old 21st January 2013   #115

Quote:
I didn't read properly and didn't realise that they were not both on the nex. The left hand picture is to my eye softer. Is that the D800?

Hi Ben,

No, the image at the left is with NEX-7 and Speed Booster.
The image on the right is with D800E.

Some of the Exif info is contained in the images on smugmug.

Best, K-H.
Old 21st January 2013   #116

Concerning the use of other adapters on top of the EOS SB for NEX, if you go to the metabones site for the EOS SB they have the following showing as "NOT SUPPORTED"

EF-S lenses
NEX-VG900 (see note 4)
Lens correction such as peripheral shading, CA and distortion
Focus confirmation "chip" (e.g. Dandelion)
M42 screw mount adapters (see note 6)
Stacking non-Metabones/non-Conurus mount adapters on top (see note 7)

And here are the included notes...

Note:

1.Requires lenses supporting distance information.
2.Autofocus disabled for Contax N and Contax 645 lenses.
3.A third party zoom lens may need to be registered with the Smart Adapter first in order to detect its maximum aperture. Autofocus is disabled for most third-party lenses.
4.This Speed Booster™ is designed to cover an APS-C image circle which is not big enough to cover a full-size 36mm x 24mm sensor.
5.Sony NEX cameras cannot display aperture values beyond f/1.0. If a f/1.2 Canon EF lens is used with the Speed Booster™, the resulting aperture is f/0.9 but the camera body displays f/1.0.
6.Some improperly-made M42 screw mount adapters may short the electronic contacts of the Speed Booster™ and cause damage to the Speed Booster™ and/or camera body.
7.Some manual focus lenses (e.g. OM 28/2.8, OM 50/1.8, Leica R 15/3.5) have rear protrusions which would damage the optics and/or housing of Speed Booster™. They need to be modified before they can be safely used on Speed Booster™.

Here is the direct link to the page.
Sony NEX System : Canon EF lens to Sony NEX Speed Booster

This is a little disappointing as I was hoping to buy the EOS SB and stock up on EOS adapters. Oh well. We will just have to try them out and see which ones work correctly. I am really waiting for the Minolta SR to NEX SB anyway. Or possibly the Sony Alpha SB. I really want to use one of these with my old Minolta glass, both MF and AF.

Last edited by f/otographer; 21st January 2013 at 10:55.
f/otographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013   #117

Quote:
I am getting an EOS SB and a bunch of adapters to use OM, M42, Nikon, Leica R, Exakta, T- Mount, etc lenses. I do not think anyone can afford to buy a bunch of Speed boosters.
I do not have any EOS lenses!

Likely, there will be issues with the extra adapters. One has to be careful though.

vivek, I have used the older mark one Ef to nex smart adapter from metabones with thin nikon f to eos adapters on top, and the adapter has not shorted out smart adapter. I did ensure though I did not use a focus confirmation chip version of the adapter, as that prorudes futher into the housing and will touch the electronic contacts on the smart adapter.

Also the focus confim chip would no benefit with the smart adapter except to continuously fool it into thinking the aperture is constant, even when changed manually.
mazor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013   #118
Super Duper

I have no use for the electrical contacts. i can disable them before use.

Yes, many old lenes have protrusions, lens baffles, etc that need to be carefully examined and perhaps trimmed (in case of some OM lenses by about 1 mm) before they can be mounted via adapters on the SB.

There is only one way to find out.
Old 21st January 2013   #119
Super Duper

Quote:
Hi Ben,

No, the image at the left is with NEX-7 and Speed Booster.
The image on the right is with D800E.

Some of the Exif info is contained in the images on smugmug.

Best, K-H.
I'm losing my mind, I'm so sorry, I meant the left (NEX) image is sharper, not sure why though, doesn't make sense does it?
k-hawinkler likes this.

Old 21st January 2013   #120

Quote:
I'm losing my mind, I'm so sorry, I meant the left (NEX) image is sharper, not sure why though, doesn't make sense does it?

Hi Ben,

I processed the NEX-7 images and applied some sharpening.
When I did the same with less sharpening for the D800E files the JPG files I got were larger than 50 MB each, so smugmug didn't accept them.
As it was already pretty late I posted the OOC JPGs instead.

Again, the only reason I posted the D800E images was to show the corner behavior of the lens on a full frame camera to contrast that with the lens being used on NEX-7 with Speed Booster.

Please, let's not over-interpret my images for what they were meant to show.
I am not a professional reviewer and have no interest in becoming one.

Best, K-H.
Old 21st January 2013   #121
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by f/otographer View Post
I am really waiting for the Minolta SR to NEX SB anyway. Or possibly the Sony Alpha SB.

I emailed my Metabones contact and he indicated they had no plans at this time for Alpha Speed Booster. I suggested they should consider offering one.

One of the reasons this would be nice: for those people who have both Alpha cameras and NEX...lenses can be converted via Leitax mounts to Alpha, and they will work on cameras like the A99. With a Speed Booster for Alpha, they could also work on NEX.
monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by monza View Post
I emailed my Metabones contact and he indicated they had no plans at this time for Alpha Speed Booster. I suggested they should consider offering one.

One of the reasons this would be nice: for those people who have both Alpha cameras and NEX...lenses can be converted via Leitax mounts to Alpha, and they will work on cameras like the A99. With a Speed Booster for Alpha, they could also work on NEX.
Anyone know any manufacturers that would be willing to make adapters for the Alpa version of the speed booster? Could go Alpa-FD, Alpa-Minolta Etc. I know theres Alpa Nikon, Alpa Konica, Alpa Exakta Adapters so it must be possible for other mounts with similar reg distance to the Konica.
kainekainekaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013   #123
Super Duper

Ultimately I think they'll build an Alpha.

The market for such must be much larger than those for Alpa.
Old 21st January 2013   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by monza View Post
Thanks for letting us know this monza. When I emailed them a few days ago about the Minolta Rokkor SB they said it was on their road map to build (Yay!). I didnt even inquire about an Alpha SB since I thought for sure they would be coming out with one. Very odd that they dont have plans it.
Old 21st January 2013   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainekainekaine View Post
Anyone know any manufacturers that would be willing to make adapters for the Alpa version of the speed booster? Could go Alpa-FD, Alpa-Minolta Etc. I know theres Alpa Nikon, Alpa Konica, Alpa Exakta Adapters so it must be possible for other mounts with similar reg distance to the Konica.
That sounds like an excellent idea. The Alpa flange to focal distance is 37.8mm, which will allow many lenses to be adapted to it.
Old 22nd January 2013   #126
Super Duper

The "full review" Metabones Speed Booster adapter – full review | EOSHD.com
mazor and k-hawinkler like this.
Old 22nd January 2013   #127
Super Duper

Review from Roger Cicala at Lens Rentals:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/metabones-magic

Last edited by Ben Rubinstein; 22nd January 2013 at 10:11.
Old 22nd January 2013   #128
Super Duper

Quote:
Review from Roger Cicala at Lens Rentals:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/medi...IVEDWORTH1.jpg
The correct link is here, Ben.

LensRentals.com - Metabones Magic?
k-hawinkler likes this.
Old 22nd January 2013   #129
Super Duper

Fixed sorry!

Old 22nd January 2013   #130

Quote:
thanks for the link to this great review, pretty convinced this is the one adapter.

Now have to try sell off my mk 1 EF to NEX adapter...
mazor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013   #131
Super Duper

FYI I'm accepting pre-orders...see the FS section.
Old 22nd January 2013   #132

Send a message via Skype™ to Stefan Steib

Hartblei- Hcam is also going to be selling it here in Germany and for all our international customers.

Regards
Stefan
Old 22nd January 2013   #133

May I ask if you know the estimated price?
padam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013   #134
Super Duper

Depends on the model...the Canon one is more as it offers AF support.
Old 23rd January 2013   #135

Quote:

Hi Vivek:
I don't think there will be any surprises with internal focus lenses. Why? Because the only thing the Speed Booster "sees" is the exit pupil of the attached lens, and the only thing that really matters is the size, location, and "quality" (i.e., the amount of aberration) of that master lens exit pupil. So, unless the internal focus mechanism substantially changes something like the exit pupil location then it shouldn't have much effect as far as the Speed Booster is concerned.

On the other hand, tilt-shift lenses do seem to hold some surprises that I'm still trying to sort out. Don't worry - they do work! And you can even use the full range of motion. In some quick experiments the past few days with a Canon 17mm f/4 TS-E I've found I can use maximum shift (+/- 12mm) or maximum tilt (+/- ~7 degrees) without suffering noticeable vignetting.

But the odd thing is that since the optical axes of the shift lens and the Speed Booster are decoupled the effective amount of shift is scaled by 0.71x. In other words, when I attach a 17/4 TS-E to the SB and shift by 12mm the effect appears to be the same that you would get by shifting a "native" 12mm TS-E by 8.5mm.

Of course, the combination of a 17/4 TS-E and the Speed Booster really does give you a 12mm f/2.8 lens. But that optical axis decoupling results in some unexpected results.

Below is a sample image along with some 100% crops I took with the 17/4 TS-E set to f7 (f/5 on the adapted combination) with a full 12mm rise.
Attached Thumbnails
Speed booster for NEX-17mm-f4-tse-sb-f5-full-image.jpg   Speed booster for NEX-17mm-f4-tse-sb-f5-crop1.jpg   Speed booster for NEX-17mm-f4-tse-sb-f5-crop2.jpg   Speed booster for NEX-17mm-f4-tse-sb-f5-crop3.jpg   Speed booster for NEX-17mm-f4-tse-sb-f5-crop4.jpg  

Vivek likes this.
brianc1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013   #136
Super Duper

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your post and the samples. How awesome is that!

I think 8mm shift (always did) is more than enough for APS-C.
Old 24th January 2013   #137

I am sitting here fooling with my newly delivered L/R - E mount (Leica R to NEX)Speed Booster. So far there are issues. I have three older R lenses, all from about 1967.

My 135 Elmarit R 2.8 seems to fit OK. Focus throw is full range on the lens. So far, looks nice at center, softening towards the corners.

However, I have a 35 Elmarit R 2.8 amd a 50 Summicron R 2 that do not fit. The focus scale turns to about 3' (50mm) and 10' (35mm) and there is then a hard conflict between the back of the lens barrel and the housing of the adapter.

This is all very new to me. First time with older Leica lenses and first time with the NEX7. Perhaps I am doing something wrong?
cunim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013   #138
Super Duper

Can you shoot quick photos of the back of each lens and post here? My guess is they are not 3 cam lenses.
k-hawinkler likes this.
Old 24th January 2013   #139

I suspect you are right. These came with an old Leicaflex SL that was given to me recently. The same package contained a reasonably nice M3 with 50 and 135 lenses but those are even older.

No reason for these lenses to be three-cam. Pic is of the 135 and the 35, taken with the 50.

And here I was all keen to have high quality images from APS-C. You say that that only 3-cam R lenses work with adapters? Sigh. Maybe I can use the LFSL kit as partial trade on a later 50mm M lens.

Peter

Last edited by cunim; 31st October 2013 at 07:57.
Old 24th January 2013   #140
Super Duper

I haven't asked Metabones if all versions of R are supported; will email my contact now. Seems like there should not be a problem...

More here about cams.
Old 24th January 2013   #141

Thank you. Sure would be useful to have a table of working lenses. The problem is the metal flange that projects about 4mm beyond the base of the lens barrel in the 35 and 50. I suspect that any lenses that project this flange will be unusable with the SB. At least it is easy to check. Wonder if the flange disappears on later lenses.

After futzing with the first gen 135 Elmar, conclusion is that it is OK stopped down, but only that. Corners are pretty poor at 5.6, and even the center is not really sharp. Overall, this lens is showing its age. Maybe I have a senile copy.

Boring image and 1:1 crop of upper right attached, 1/3 sec (tripod), 2 sec shutter delay, iso 200, f8, raw, default LR import. I need to try a later, flangeless 50 to see if all this is worth it. The idea is to have something compact to use when I can't whip out the MF equipment.

Last edited by cunim; 31st October 2013 at 07:57.
Old 24th January 2013   #142
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunim View Post
I am sitting here fooling with my newly delivered L/R - E mount (Leica R to NEX)Speed Booster. So far there are issues. I have three older R lenses, all from about 1967.

My 135 Elmarit R 2.8 seems to fit OK. Focus throw is full range on the lens. So far, looks nice at center, softening towards the corners.

However, I have a 35 Elmarit R 2.8 amd a 50 Summicron R 2 that do not fit. The focus scale turns to about 3' (50mm) and 10' (35mm) and there is then a hard conflict between the back of the lens barrel and the housing of the adapter.

This is all very new to me. First time with older Leica lenses and first time with the NEX7. Perhaps I am doing something wrong?
Peter, My SB has not reached me yet but since I plan to use my 50/2 Summicron, I just took a look at it.

If you set your 50 focus distance at 0.7 meters, you should be able to mount it in your SB. But do not adjust the distance to anything farther! This risks damaging the SB's optics!
It is not the cam but the lens shroud at the rear that causes the obstruction, I think. Even if you trade/buy 3 cam lenses, you would still face the same problem. I would think that trimming the shroud (and painting the exposed shiny metal black after that) would solve the mounting issue. The same applies to your Elmarit 35 as well. This shroud problem is non existent in case of use with a Canon body (except may be only one lens). OTOH, here, the registry has shortened due to the SB optics coming in to play.

In case of your 135mm Elmarit, there are no shroud problems to deal with.

I should be able to give a definitive answer in a few days. I am really looking forward to using the 50/2 Summicron.
Old 24th January 2013   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunim View Post
Thank you. Sure would be useful to have a table of working lenses. The problem is the metal flange that projects about 4mm beyond the base of the lens barrel in the 35 and 50. I suspect that any lenses that project this flange will be unusable with the SB. At least it is easy to check. Wonder if the flange disappears on later lenses.

After futzing with the first gen 135 Elmar, conclusion is that it is OK stopped down, but only that. Corners are pretty poor at 5.6, and even the center is not really sharp. Overall, this lens is showing its age. Maybe I have a senile copy.

Boring image and 1:1 crop of upper right attached, 1/3 sec (tripod), 2 sec shutter delay, iso 200, f8, raw, default LR import. I need to try a later, flangeless 50 to see if all this is worth it. The idea is to have something compact to use when I can't whip out the MF equipment.

Hi,

From what distance did you shoot that image?

Thanks, K-H.
Old 24th January 2013   #144

Quote:
Peter, My SB has not reached me yet but since I plan to use my 50/2 Summicron, I just took a look at it.

If you set your 50 focus distance at 0.7 meters, you should be able to mount it in your SB. But do not adjust the distance to anything farther! This risks damaging the SB's optics!
It is not the cam but the lens shroud at the rear that causes the obstruction, I think. Even if you trade/buy 3 cam lenses, you would still face the same problem. I would think that trimming the shroud (and painting the exposed shiny metal black after that) would solve the mounting issue. The same applies to your Elmarit 35 as well. This shroud problem is non existent in case of use with a Canon body (except may be only one lens). OTOH, here, the registry has shortened due to the SB optics coming in to play.

In case of your 135mm Elmarit, there are no shroud problems to deal with.

I should be able to give a definitive answer in a few days. I am really looking forward to using the 50/2 Summicron.
Thank you Vivek. I too was looking forward to trying the 50 and you are absolutely right about NOT focussing beyond 0.7m with it. I have already damaged the SB lens. I'll send it in for repair. No biggie. On the plus side I have learned a lot from this experience. I now know that some (maybe most) older Leica lenses will not make me really happy with tiny pixels.

Ya know, proper SB configuration is complicated. I am pretty fixated on big CCDs for serious work, so I want a simple imager to throw in my briefase for when the heavy stuff is too much of a pain. Needs to be simple but also needs to yield better images than those available from most of the compact cameras. Hence my interest in the R lenses and I am probably typical of most of us.

An adapter should let me stick a variety of nice Leica lenses onto the NEX, without requiring that I modify those lenses. Maybe we will get a list of lenses that work (including a 50) and the SB will be the best device for those lenses. Not sure and those fuzzy corners are concerning me.

Sadly, my 50 Summicron and 35 Elmarit do not belong to the select group of SB compatible lenses and I have no idea if other favorites do belong.

In the meantime, I will order a straight through adapter and live with its lesser performance until either a list of SB-compatible lenses appears, or a FF compact camera becomes a viable option. To avoid pain and suffering with the SB though, someone who knows a lot more about adapters than I do needs to put together a set of instructions and cautions for it. It comes with nothing, nada, zip - and the natural inclination is to just insert your lenses. Bad idea until you have checked clearance very very carefully.

KH, the bookcase is 21' from the camera.
k-hawinkler likes this.
Old 26th January 2013   #145

I made a couple of quick/shakey measurements this morning after testing some lenses last night for the problem that prevents the shutter opening (pins shorted?). I've posted on FM that some OM lenses look like they have issues after seeing the note here from the SB web site
Metabones Speed Booster - FM Forums
The lens inside the SB is ~8mm deep
The OM18 and 21/3.5 have a fin that protrudes 9mm. They are far enough in that even if my measurements are slightly off the fin would be perilously close. I'll try and do a better measurement tonight.
The OM21/2 seems to be ~8mm, but the 24/2 and 90/2 are 7mm and both fit OK.
The Pentax K 50/1.2 pin protrudes 9mm.
I'd mentioned that the 58/1.2 Rokkor wouldn't allow the shutter to open unless I wiggled it a bit (the mount to the SB is slightly loose), a 24mm VFC Rokkor that Jim converted for me, as well as a 24/1.4 FD that I bought converted and appears to have one of Jim's mounts (wide adapter) sit firmly and I can't get the shutter to open at all. I would guess that it shorting a couple of pins that the firmware doesn't like. Tonight I'll tape the pins to see if they start working. If they do perhaps Metabones could fix that with a firmware update (presumably they short the same pins on a Canon body yet don't affect it). By the way when I go into the menu it won't allow me to switch the Release W/O lens to ENABLE. I keep this option on ENABLE and when I put a lens on that's OK it defaults to that.
All of the c/y adapters/lenses I tried are OK .. I'll have to recheck the adapter I have on the 100/3.5 that seemed to black out the shutter.
35/1.4 EOS Rokinon is OK.
Tamron 90mm/2.5 52B is OK
35 FD T/S that Jim converted is OK but it has a different adapter, the width of the adapter is much thinner than the other ones so I guess it doesn't touch the pins in the SB.
Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit is OK (rear shroud removed), so is 35-70/4 and 100 Elmarit. I've not looked at a 50 'cron which was reported as having a problem on GDPI
Vivek likes this.
Old 26th January 2013   #146
Super Duper

Mike, Thanks! I would love to see some samples from the VFC Rokkor when you have some time. There are many variables with that lens, so, I would think it will take time to figure that lens out and the proper settings. TIA!
Old 27th January 2013   #147

Hi Vivek, unfortunately that lens, together with the 58/1.2 Rokkor and the Canon FD 24/1.4 won't allow the shutter to open. The adapter is very wide compared to most others I have (all others in fact) and I'm pretty sure it's shorting the pins. I could tape over them but I only have today to take more photos with other lenses that work and decide if I want to keep or return it (I thought I saw a 7 day return policy although I can't find it now). If I do decide to keep it I think I could dremel down the surface where the pins are to prevent this happening.
Old 27th January 2013   #148

I won't clutter up this thread with non SB images, here are a few direct links to some photos taken with the VFC on 1ds3
_M7K4689.jpg photo - Mike Broomfield photos at pbase.com
_M7K4683.jpg photo - Mike Broomfield photos at pbase.com
_M8K9779.jpg photo - Mike Broomfield photos at pbase.com
_M8K9766.jpg photo - Mike Broomfield photos at pbase.com
_M8K9751.jpg photo - Mike Broomfield photos at pbase.com
Old 27th January 2013   #149
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroomfield View Post
Hi Vivek, unfortunately that lens, together with the 58/1.2 Rokkor and the Canon FD 24/1.4 won't allow the shutter to open. The adapter is very wide compared to most others I have (all others in fact) and I'm pretty sure it's shorting the pins. I could tape over them but I only have today to take more photos with other lenses that work and decide if I want to keep or return it (I thought I saw a 7 day return policy although I can't find it now). If I do decide to keep it I think I could dremel down the surface where the pins are to prevent this happening.
Hi Mike, Thanks and for the samples as well. The non stick teflon bake sheets could be used to block the electrical pins. They are thin enough to do the job.
Old 27th January 2013   #150

Yes, just a matter of time (or lack )

I uploaded some images @50% (res, not crops). LR4 default inport, no sharpening on export to jpg.
I have a few to add labels (the airplane, brainfart on lenses and setting at the moment).
Labels say it all I hope, everything on the NEX7 with the SB;
Lenses used; Leica R 28 and 60 Elmarit, Rokkor 58/1.2 (only worked for a while) Rokinon 35/1.4, C/Y 18mm, OM 90/2, Canon FD 35mm T/S
I hope I got the labels right, I'm doing this in a hurry. If some are wrong (eg apertures reversed etc) I'll fix later today or tomorrow.
Heading out soon for some more comparisons.
speed_booster Photo Gallery by Mike Broomfield at pbase.com
Click on original to get the biggest image

PS. 1st couple of photos with the Nex 7 I didn't notice I'd bumped it to Auto ISO so they are at 800.. grr...
Vivek and cunim like this.

Last edited by mbroomfield; 27th January 2013 at 03:32. Reason: Correct spelling
mbroomfield is offline   Reply With Quote