The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

Ben
I am also wondering about the pluses and minuses of a full frame Nex vs. a crop Nex with the speed booster. The FF even in crop mode might not work well with wider Contax G and M glass. If the FF Nex is optimized for full frame, wider G and M glass will likely have substantial color issues in the corners. In that case a crop Nex with the speed booster might have advantages for those who would like to use rangefinder glass and SLR glass on the same camera.

k-hawinkler

Re: Speed booster for NEX - Vignetting!

From K-H
I also have some old Leitz Telyts 200, 280, 400, 560 mm.
Would any of those be of interest - other than of course to me?

I would love to know what you think about the longer lenses on the SB when you get around to doing that. So many possibilities here.
John

Here you go: Vignetting!

Please see here: Metabones Speed Booster - Vignetting with Tele-Lenses: Sony NEX Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Sony NEX-7 + Metabones Speed Booster + Leica APO-Telyt-R 1:4/280 @ ISO=100, 1/2000s, f=4, OOC JPG
View attachment 68034

Sony NEX-7 + Metabones Speed Booster + Leitz 14127 Adapter + Leitz Telyt-V 1:5.6/560 @ ISO=100, 1/500s, f=5.6, OOC JPG
View attachment 68035

With best regards, K-H.

monza

With that lens the image circle is not covering the sensor. I wouldn't think a tele of that length would be a normal application for the SB anyway.

Stefan Steib

Most likely some kind of barrel vignetting as the tele lenses probably have their first lens a bit inside the barrel. probably with Telezooms and IF focusing this will not occur.

kainekainekaine

With that lens the image circle is not covering the sensor. I wouldn't think a tele of that length would be a normal application for the SB anyway.
But it does not seem vignette on the M9. Isnt that full frame? Thought it should look similar or even less of a vignette due to the 1.06 crop. What kind of lenses are gonna struggle with the speed booster?

Stefan Steib

As I said- the effect is similar to what we get on the HCam. When the back lens is deep inside the barrel and the distance between Booster and virtual image will become too big, the barrel(in this case the border of the boosters lens mount) is going to be vignetting.
Means: back Lens close to booster- no vignette
tele lenses and shots at macro positions - vignetting.

k-hawinkler

Whats causing the vignette? Any ideas anyone?

No doubt in my mind, it's the Speed Booster.
That 280/4 lens on the FF M9 doesn't show vignetting that pronounced, if at all.

The way I look at this matter is that smaller than full frame sensors give long lenses the extra reach one typically desires.
So, in that case an adapter and not the Speed Booster is the tool of choice.
It doesn't make much sense to use the Speed Booster on long tele-lenses.

However, I think the situation is completely different for short tele, normal, and wide angle lenses.
Here the Speed Booster allows an APS-C size sensor to capture an image with a crop factor of a smidge less than 1.1x, much smaller than the 1.5x factor otherwise.

This image was taken with NEX-7 + Speed Booster + Leitz Elmarit 1:2.8/90.

View attachment 68037

With best regards, K-H.

Stefan Steib

I have a Carl Zeiss vario Sonnar 70-300mm and with this the back lens moves only a bit away from the level of the flange mount. So it will not vignette at 300mm. Real teles which have a rear lens element that is far away from the flange mount distance will vignette.
So telezooms with IF focusing and comapact lenght will probably work no matter how long the focal length is.

k-hawinkler

I can't speak to lenses that I don't have.
It would be nice to know though how other lens designs work with the Speed Booster.

V

Vivek

K-H, Thanksfor the samples.

One question: Did you use lens hoods for these shots?

V

Vivek

K-H, I see that you have explanations for your results with long tele lenses in the link. Thanks!

Incidentally, they coincide with what Stefan speculated on the recessed lens placement.

My question about the lens hood is a reminder that lenses become wider and hence the hoods used need to be chosen carefully to accommodate the increased FOV. This will be play a major role in case of the 50/1.2 lenses in particular, I think.

EDIT: The longest lens I have, it turns out, is a Vivitar Series 1 (Perkin Elmer clone) 800mm f/11 catadioptric lens in T mount. I also happen to have a Canon EOS to T mount adapter.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Tamron made a 28-200 f/2.8 manual focus zoom. I had a chance to buy one nearly a decade ago. Still regretting that missed chance.