The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

monza

I am really waiting for the Minolta SR to NEX SB anyway. Or possibly the Sony Alpha SB.

I emailed my Metabones contact and he indicated they had no plans at this time for Alpha Speed Booster. I suggested they should consider offering one. :)

One of the reasons this would be nice: for those people who have both Alpha cameras and NEX...lenses can be converted via Leitax mounts to Alpha, and they will work on cameras like the A99. With a Speed Booster for Alpha, they could also work on NEX.

kainekainekaine

I emailed my Metabones contact and he indicated they had no plans at this time for Alpha Speed Booster. I suggested they should consider offering one. :)

One of the reasons this would be nice: for those people who have both Alpha cameras and NEX...lenses can be converted via Leitax mounts to Alpha, and they will work on cameras like the A99. With a Speed Booster for Alpha, they could also work on NEX.
Anyone know any manufacturers that would be willing to make adapters for the Alpa version of the speed booster? Could go Alpa-FD, Alpa-Minolta Etc. I know theres Alpa Nikon, Alpa Konica, Alpa Exakta Adapters so it must be possible for other mounts with similar reg distance to the Konica.

monza

Ultimately I think they'll build an Alpha.

The market for such must be much larger than those for Alpa. :)

f/otographer

Thanks for letting us know this monza. When I emailed them a few days ago about the Minolta Rokkor SB they said it was on their road map to build (Yay!). I didnt even inquire about an Alpha SB since I thought for sure they would be coming out with one. Very odd that they dont have plans it.

f/otographer

Anyone know any manufacturers that would be willing to make adapters for the Alpa version of the speed booster? Could go Alpa-FD, Alpa-Minolta Etc. I know theres Alpa Nikon, Alpa Konica, Alpa Exakta Adapters so it must be possible for other mounts with similar reg distance to the Konica.
That sounds like an excellent idea. The Alpa flange to focal distance is 37.8mm, which will allow many lenses to be adapted to it.

brianc1959

Hi K-H, Thanks for sharing the results. Where is the exit pupil on the Tele Elmar 135mm with the bellows set-up?

Do you have the 100/4 Macro Elmar?

I suspect the results will be surprising with the APO Macro Elmarit 100mm with its internal focusing.

Quite frankly, I am surprised by the results of the NEX-7 going against the 800E.
Hi Vivek:
I don't think there will be any surprises with internal focus lenses. Why? Because the only thing the Speed Booster "sees" is the exit pupil of the attached lens, and the only thing that really matters is the size, location, and "quality" (i.e., the amount of aberration) of that master lens exit pupil. So, unless the internal focus mechanism substantially changes something like the exit pupil location then it shouldn't have much effect as far as the Speed Booster is concerned.

On the other hand, tilt-shift lenses do seem to hold some surprises that I'm still trying to sort out. Don't worry - they do work! And you can even use the full range of motion. In some quick experiments the past few days with a Canon 17mm f/4 TS-E I've found I can use maximum shift (+/- 12mm) or maximum tilt (+/- ~7 degrees) without suffering noticeable vignetting.

But the odd thing is that since the optical axes of the shift lens and the Speed Booster are decoupled the effective amount of shift is scaled by 0.71x. In other words, when I attach a 17/4 TS-E to the SB and shift by 12mm the effect appears to be the same that you would get by shifting a "native" 12mm TS-E by 8.5mm.

Of course, the combination of a 17/4 TS-E and the Speed Booster really does give you a 12mm f/2.8 lens. But that optical axis decoupling results in some unexpected results.

Below is a sample image along with some 100% crops I took with the 17/4 TS-E set to f7 (f/5 on the adapted combination) with a full 12mm rise.

V

Vivek

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your post and the samples. How awesome is that! :thumbs:

I think 8mm shift (always did) is more than enough for APS-C.

cunim

I am sitting here fooling with my newly delivered L/R - E mount (Leica R to NEX)Speed Booster. So far there are issues. I have three older R lenses, all from about 1967.

My 135 Elmarit R 2.8 seems to fit OK. Focus throw is full range on the lens. So far, looks nice at center, softening towards the corners.

However, I have a 35 Elmarit R 2.8 amd a 50 Summicron R 2 that do not fit. The focus scale turns to about 3' (50mm) and 10' (35mm) and there is then a hard conflict between the back of the lens barrel and the housing of the adapter.

This is all very new to me. First time with older Leica lenses and first time with the NEX7. Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

monza

Can you shoot quick photos of the back of each lens and post here? My guess is they are not 3 cam lenses.

cunim

I suspect you are right. These came with an old Leicaflex SL that was given to me recently. The same package contained a reasonably nice M3 with 50 and 135 lenses but those are even older.

No reason for these lenses to be three-cam. Pic is of the 135 and the 35, taken with the 50.

And here I was all keen to have high quality images from APS-C. You say that that only 3-cam R lenses work with adapters? Sigh. Maybe I can use the LFSL kit as partial trade on a later 50mm M lens.

Peter

Last edited:

monza

I haven't asked Metabones if all versions of R are supported; will email my contact now. Seems like there should not be a problem...

More here about cams.