The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

cunim

Thank you. Sure would be useful to have a table of working lenses. The problem is the metal flange that projects about 4mm beyond the base of the lens barrel in the 35 and 50. I suspect that any lenses that project this flange will be unusable with the SB. At least it is easy to check. Wonder if the flange disappears on later lenses.

After futzing with the first gen 135 Elmar, conclusion is that it is OK stopped down, but only that. Corners are pretty poor at 5.6, and even the center is not really sharp. Overall, this lens is showing its age. Maybe I have a senile copy.

Boring image and 1:1 crop of upper right attached, 1/3 sec (tripod), 2 sec shutter delay, iso 200, f8, raw, default LR import. I need to try a later, flangeless 50 to see if all this is worth it. The idea is to have something compact to use when I can't whip out the MF equipment.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I am sitting here fooling with my newly delivered L/R - E mount (Leica R to NEX)Speed Booster. So far there are issues. I have three older R lenses, all from about 1967.

My 135 Elmarit R 2.8 seems to fit OK. Focus throw is full range on the lens. So far, looks nice at center, softening towards the corners.

However, I have a 35 Elmarit R 2.8 amd a 50 Summicron R 2 that do not fit. The focus scale turns to about 3' (50mm) and 10' (35mm) and there is then a hard conflict between the back of the lens barrel and the housing of the adapter.

This is all very new to me. First time with older Leica lenses and first time with the NEX7. Perhaps I am doing something wrong?
Peter, My SB has not reached me yet but since I plan to use my 50/2 Summicron, I just took a look at it.

If you set your 50 focus distance at 0.7 meters, you should be able to mount it in your SB. But do not adjust the distance to anything farther! This risks damaging the SB's optics!
It is not the cam but the lens shroud at the rear that causes the obstruction, I think. Even if you trade/buy 3 cam lenses, you would still face the same problem. I would think that trimming the shroud (and painting the exposed shiny metal black after that) would solve the mounting issue. The same applies to your Elmarit 35 as well. This shroud problem is non existent in case of use with a Canon body (except may be only one lens). OTOH, here, the registry has shortened due to the SB optics coming in to play.

In case of your 135mm Elmarit, there are no shroud problems to deal with.

I should be able to give a definitive answer in a few days. I am really looking forward to using the 50/2 Summicron.

k-hawinkler

Thank you. Sure would be useful to have a table of working lenses. The problem is the metal flange that projects about 4mm beyond the base of the lens barrel in the 35 and 50. I suspect that any lenses that project this flange will be unusable with the SB. At least it is easy to check. Wonder if the flange disappears on later lenses.

After futzing with the first gen 135 Elmar, conclusion is that it is OK stopped down, but only that. Corners are pretty poor at 5.6, and even the center is not really sharp. Overall, this lens is showing its age. Maybe I have a senile copy.

Boring image and 1:1 crop of upper right attached, 1/3 sec (tripod), 2 sec shutter delay, iso 200, f8, raw, default LR import. I need to try a later, flangeless 50 to see if all this is worth it. The idea is to have something compact to use when I can't whip out the MF equipment.

Hi,

From what distance did you shoot that image?

Thanks, K-H.

cunim

Peter, My SB has not reached me yet but since I plan to use my 50/2 Summicron, I just took a look at it.

If you set your 50 focus distance at 0.7 meters, you should be able to mount it in your SB. But do not adjust the distance to anything farther! This risks damaging the SB's optics!
It is not the cam but the lens shroud at the rear that causes the obstruction, I think. Even if you trade/buy 3 cam lenses, you would still face the same problem. I would think that trimming the shroud (and painting the exposed shiny metal black after that) would solve the mounting issue. The same applies to your Elmarit 35 as well. This shroud problem is non existent in case of use with a Canon body (except may be only one lens). OTOH, here, the registry has shortened due to the SB optics coming in to play.

In case of your 135mm Elmarit, there are no shroud problems to deal with.

I should be able to give a definitive answer in a few days. I am really looking forward to using the 50/2 Summicron.
Thank you Vivek. I too was looking forward to trying the 50 and you are absolutely right about NOT focussing beyond 0.7m with it. I have already damaged the SB lens. I'll send it in for repair. No biggie. On the plus side I have learned a lot from this experience. I now know that some (maybe most) older Leica lenses will not make me really happy with tiny pixels.

Ya know, proper SB configuration is complicated. I am pretty fixated on big CCDs for serious work, so I want a simple imager to throw in my briefase for when the heavy stuff is too much of a pain. Needs to be simple but also needs to yield better images than those available from most of the compact cameras. Hence my interest in the R lenses and I am probably typical of most of us.

An adapter should let me stick a variety of nice Leica lenses onto the NEX, without requiring that I modify those lenses. Maybe we will get a list of lenses that work (including a 50) and the SB will be the best device for those lenses. Not sure and those fuzzy corners are concerning me.

Sadly, my 50 Summicron and 35 Elmarit do not belong to the select group of SB compatible lenses and I have no idea if other favorites do belong.

In the meantime, I will order a straight through adapter and live with its lesser performance until either a list of SB-compatible lenses appears, or a FF compact camera becomes a viable option. To avoid pain and suffering with the SB though, someone who knows a lot more about adapters than I do needs to put together a set of instructions and cautions for it. It comes with nothing, nada, zip - and the natural inclination is to just insert your lenses. Bad idea until you have checked clearance very very carefully.

KH, the bookcase is 21' from the camera.

mbroomfield

I made a couple of quick/shakey measurements this morning after testing some lenses last night for the problem that prevents the shutter opening (pins shorted?). I've posted on FM that some OM lenses look like they have issues after seeing the note here from the SB web site
Metabones Speed Booster - FM Forums
The lens inside the SB is ~8mm deep
The OM18 and 21/3.5 have a fin that protrudes 9mm. They are far enough in that even if my measurements are slightly off the fin would be perilously close. I'll try and do a better measurement tonight.
The OM21/2 seems to be ~8mm, but the 24/2 and 90/2 are 7mm and both fit OK.
The Pentax K 50/1.2 pin protrudes 9mm.
I'd mentioned that the 58/1.2 Rokkor wouldn't allow the shutter to open unless I wiggled it a bit (the mount to the SB is slightly loose), a 24mm VFC Rokkor that Jim converted for me, as well as a 24/1.4 FD that I bought converted and appears to have one of Jim's mounts (wide adapter) sit firmly and I can't get the shutter to open at all. I would guess that it shorting a couple of pins that the firmware doesn't like. Tonight I'll tape the pins to see if they start working. If they do perhaps Metabones could fix that with a firmware update (presumably they short the same pins on a Canon body yet don't affect it). By the way when I go into the menu it won't allow me to switch the Release W/O lens to ENABLE. I keep this option on ENABLE and when I put a lens on that's OK it defaults to that.
All of the c/y adapters/lenses I tried are OK .. I'll have to recheck the adapter I have on the 100/3.5 that seemed to black out the shutter.
35/1.4 EOS Rokinon is OK.
Tamron 90mm/2.5 52B is OK
35 FD T/S that Jim converted is OK but it has a different adapter, the width of the adapter is much thinner than the other ones so I guess it doesn't touch the pins in the SB.
Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit is OK (rear shroud removed), so is 35-70/4 and 100 Elmarit. I've not looked at a 50 'cron which was reported as having a problem on GDPI

V

Vivek

Mike, Thanks! I would love to see some samples from the VFC Rokkor when you have some time. There are many variables with that lens, so, I would think it will take time to figure that lens out and the proper settings. TIA!

mbroomfield

Hi Vivek, unfortunately that lens, together with the 58/1.2 Rokkor and the Canon FD 24/1.4 won't allow the shutter to open. The adapter is very wide compared to most others I have (all others in fact) and I'm pretty sure it's shorting the pins. I could tape over them but I only have today to take more photos with other lenses that work and decide if I want to keep or return it (I thought I saw a 7 day return policy although I can't find it now). If I do decide to keep it I think I could dremel down the surface where the pins are to prevent this happening.

V

Vivek

Hi Vivek, unfortunately that lens, together with the 58/1.2 Rokkor and the Canon FD 24/1.4 won't allow the shutter to open. The adapter is very wide compared to most others I have (all others in fact) and I'm pretty sure it's shorting the pins. I could tape over them but I only have today to take more photos with other lenses that work and decide if I want to keep or return it (I thought I saw a 7 day return policy although I can't find it now). If I do decide to keep it I think I could dremel down the surface where the pins are to prevent this happening.
Hi Mike, Thanks and for the samples as well. The non stick teflon bake sheets could be used to block the electrical pins. They are thin enough to do the job.

mbroomfield

Yes, just a matter of time (or lack :mad:)

I uploaded some images @50% (res, not crops). LR4 default inport, no sharpening on export to jpg.
I have a few to add labels (the airplane, brainfart on lenses and setting at the moment).
Labels say it all I hope, everything on the NEX7 with the SB;
Lenses used; Leica R 28 and 60 Elmarit, Rokkor 58/1.2 (only worked for a while) Rokinon 35/1.4, C/Y 18mm, OM 90/2, Canon FD 35mm T/S
I hope I got the labels right, I'm doing this in a hurry. If some are wrong (eg apertures reversed etc) I'll fix later today or tomorrow.
Heading out soon for some more comparisons.
speed_booster Photo Gallery by Mike Broomfield at pbase.com
Click on original to get the biggest image

PS. 1st couple of photos with the Nex 7 I didn't notice I'd bumped it to Auto ISO so they are at 800.. grr...

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I have not yet received my adapters (to use various lenses on EOS mount).

Here is a quick snap from NEX-6 via the Speed Booster + Nikon AF 50/1.8 (the lens was held in front via a K ring), HVL-20 providing a bounce flash light.

NEX-6, Speed Booster, Nikon AF 50/1.8, HVL-F20AM, f/1.8, 1/160s, ISO100

And, yes, the image describes my verdict on the SB. I am simply delighted with it though I have not had a chance to use all the lenses I have been for the past year or so.

V

Vivek

There is only one lens I have that is compatible to mount, EF 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 IV. AF does not work with this lens.
This was found on the only EOS camera I have, an EOS IX! Glad that I was forced to use this lens (especially since I do not even have a hood for it). The details I see at the wide end (at f/2.5) is quite amazing.

I did manage to take a few snaps earlier today.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
NEX-6, Speed Booster, EF 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 IV [EXIF shows 19mm and f/2.5] (19mm and f/2.5) ISO800, 1/400s.

mazor

impressive images vivek. pretty close to being convinced this is the best accessory/addon out there for the Nex series cameras!

I gather you own the EF to NEX speed booster from the pics you are posting. It definitely is the most expensive speed booster as it it supports "AF"

It seems metabones is bringing out new models of there smart adapter at an alarming rate. I think I will definitely be purchasing the speed booster when they integrate faster AF for EF lens using both phase based and contrast based AF.

V

Vivek

Mazor, The AF will only work with some lenses according to Metabones. This zoom does not AF. It is just astounding to see the contrast boost! I am on the look out for any compact (and constant aperture) EF zoom. I do not think I will buy the 40/2.8. Not that small.

Taylor Sherman

I added several more photos/lenses from yesterday; Leica 28 and 60, Super Angulon PC 28, c/y 21, c/y 28/2, ZF 25/2.8
Thanks for these! Interesting. The R28 looks kinda so-so. The PC 28 a bit better?

I'm assuming the WB differences are just due to the cameras themselves, eg the speedbooster isn't somehow drastically warming things up? At least I haven't noticed that using it with my LR60.

mbroomfield

Taylor, yes I didn't try to WB anything, everything Auto. I was surprised at the difference. I had originally planned to used a grey card for all shots but it was bitter cold this weekend and my mind as well as body parts went numb. The R28 didn't get to infinity with the SB. Metabones have a HowTo on adjusting infinity, or I could have tried a different adapter but too short on time for the latter and I'm most likely going to send it back due to the incompatibilities I had so I didn't want to mess with it. It could be better with a correct adapter.