The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

mbroomfield

Thanks Vivek. Yes I'd seen that and I think it's excellent that they have built this into the design. I'd decided not to do it as I want to send mine back and didn't want to "mis"adjust it. I'm returning it primarily because it won't take my wide OM lenses as well as others I have with wide adapters (thick adapters)

V

Vivek

Since I still do not have my adapters to use various lenses on the SB (EOS mount), I picked up an EF 50/1.8 and shot with it for a short while (all at f/1.3)

Here is the first shot near its close focus distance:

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
NEX-6, Speed Booster, EF 50/1.6 II, f/1.3, ISO100

V

Vivek

The salesman was curious if the lens+SB combo is any good, so we have to check it out immediately. :)

NEX-6, Speed Booster, EF 50/1.8 [35mm, f/1.3]

V

Vivek

My first "real" shot. All are done at f/1.3 and manually focused. This lens also can not AF! I will find out if any EOS lenses can AF with the SB, soon.

V

Vivek

Given the first wide open shot at the shop, it was clear how sharp images can be with careful focus and proper holding. That never happens with me on the streets. Nevertheless, all these are just fine for me.

Not only the center but corners are also more than OK even at f/1.3 and under miserable lighting conditions.

mazor

vivek, do you have some ultra wides to test on the adapter, would love to see some shots wide open aperture, so see how much affects the corner softness, Do u have the standard smart adapter to compare?

V

Vivek

I will be checking a few EOS lenses of a friend of mine soon. None involve an ultrawide.

At some point, I can always try the C-V 12/5.6 once I fit it properly. This is the same lens that was also made in a Nikon F mount (but needed the mirror lock up to use).

Frankly, i am not that interested in checking how each lens does without the SB optics. Most of the lenses I have, I already know. From what I see, the SB optics, not only increase the aperture but also the sharpness and the contrast. The ones I show from the EF 50/1.8, in the post, I had to tone down the contrast. This is seldom experienced with an f/1.3 lens, wide open or even with an f/1.8 wide open, even more so in diffuse/poor light.

Last edited:

mazor

np vivek. I have the canon 17-40 f4 L, that is why I am interested in ultra wides.

Be careful with the CV 12/5.6. if it protruded right into the camera for nikon F, there is prob no doubt it may hit the speed booster optic!

I think SB would work best with slower Canon Lens on NEx, as you would get that extra light stop advantage, plus close to true focal lengths as the lens was designed. More importantly, the slower Canon lens, are quite compact and small, compared to the 1.2L series canon glass.

V

Vivek

Does AF work with any of your EF lenses and the Metabones adapter, mazor?

I will have a chance to check out some fast EF lenses soon, btw.

The one i am really looking forawrd to using is the 50/1.2 OM lens. It is about the same size as the EF 50/1.8. the adapters have to show up!

mazor

no vivek, unfortunately I have the mark one adapter which does not have any option for AF, very sad ;(

Look forward to seeing some of you OM lens on EF to nex speed booster. Will be a remarkable combo having f0.9 at your disposal ;)

V

Vivek

Today, I located my EOS to T adapter and could check out the Vivitar Series 1 800mm f/11 lens. A few samples. I have uploaded large sized samples (twice the pixels) and if anyone wants they can go to the flickr link and check "all sizes". My sample of the Vivitar lens is far from perfect (there is a bit of uneven have on the mirror and the tripod mount is broken and is unusable). These are whole frames with no vignette corrections in the post. Again, as I mentioned earlier, contrast had to be toned down a bit (unheard of with a Catadioptric lens!!!)
Shots taken through a double pane window that isn't squeaky clean and there were twigs and branches in the way. Focusing is not a trivial matter.

NEX-6, Speed Booster, Vivitar Series 1 800mm f/11, ISO1600, Speeds 1/1600s to 1/2500s, Handheld

brianc1959

np vivek. I have the canon 17-40 f4 L, that is why I am interested in ultra wides.

Be careful with the CV 12/5.6. if it protruded right into the camera for nikon F, there is prob no doubt it may hit the speed booster optic!

I think SB would work best with slower Canon Lens on NEx, as you would get that extra light stop advantage, plus close to true focal lengths as the lens was designed. More importantly, the slower Canon lens, are quite compact and small, compared to the 1.2L series canon glass.
FYI, this mini-review of the SB with a 17mm TS-E was posted yesterday:
Photototo: Metabones Speed Booster Review (NEX 7) Part II - Canon TS-E 17 f4 L

Also, James Miller's early test film (published in his review on Philip Bloom's site) was done with the 17-40/4L set to 24mm (17mm f/2.8 actual focal length and speed): 194 grams on Vimeo

brianc1959

Today, I located my EOS to T adapter and could check out the Vivitar Series 1 800mm f/11 lens. A few samples. I have uploaded large sized samples (twice the pixels) and if anyone wants they can go to the flickr link and check "all sizes". My sample of the Vivitar lens is far from perfect (there is a bit of uneven have on the mirror and the tripod mount is broken and is unusable). These are whole frames with no vignette corrections in the post. Again, as I mentioned earlier, contrast had to be toned down a bit (unheard of with a Catadioptric lens!!!)
Shots taken through a double pane window that isn't squeaky clean and there were twigs and branches in the way. Focusing is not a trivial matter.
Thanks for posting these, Vivek. I've been curious about how various mirror lenses would work with the SB.

k-hawinkler

Vivek,

Thanks and congratulations.
Great shots skillfully taken.
I think the Speed Booster is a winner!

Best, K-H.