The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

V

Vivek

A correction: The Micronikkor P 55/3.5 A mounts just fine without any problem, though the rear baffle looks menacingly close.

The Nikkor 35/.14 looks delicious. There seems to be no corner worries. I do not think I have a great sample. It is an old Nikon A version and has an yellow cast (had this on film). If someone has a modern AiS version, it is definitely something to use, althoug it may not be possible to use a hood.

V

Vivek

Hi John, My sample is still "mint". No mods, none whatsoever!

I also want to add a correction here-

To be safe, i trimmed about 1mm of the rear shroud on my GN-Nikkor Auto 45/2.8. It is entirely worth the bother to use this lens with the Speed Booster!

This is a tiny Tessar clone which is a mechanical master piece! Apart from the nifty GN mechanism, it has a well rounded aperture diaphram. Simply fabulous!

If anyone locates the hood (I believe HN32), please drop me a line.

V

Vivek

I finally got my EOS-F Adapter and have uploaded a sample with my Zeiss Planar T 50/1.4 at a boosted f/1. Focus at infinity works on the lens with the speed booster. Now wish my c/y adapter would arrive.
lovely!

i tried the Planar 50/1.4 and the EF 50/1.4, last Sunday. Very big difference in terms of OOF renderings. Zeiss Planar is "perfect". :)

V

Vivek

I will just report on two low grade Nikon zooms.

The 18-55 AFS ("kitzoom for APS-C cameras")- from 24mm to 55mm no vignette worries, wide open. At 18mm there are prominent dark corners.

The 70-300 f/4-5.6 AF-D- Works fine at all FLs, wide open.

V

Vivek

One snap of the Nikon 20/3.5 AiS with the Nikkor 35/1.4 at ~0.5m.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
NEX-6, Speed Booster, Nikkor 35/1.4 Auto, Effective f/1.0

V

Vivek

Olympus OM 85/2 with the Speed Booster is a dream portrait set-up!

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
NEX-6, Speed Booster, Olympus OM 85/2, Effective f/1.4

brianc1959

A couple of wide open shots to show the OOF rendering.
I'm really learning a lot from your tests images, Vivek - thanks so much for doing all this!

I have to confess that an 85/2 is not something I would have though of as a compelling companion to the Speed Booster since it winds up being almost the same (at least superficially) as a plain vanilla 50mm f/1.4. However, the bokeh in your shots looks really nice. I'm curious about your opinion regarding the 85/2 + SB vs. a plain 50/1.4.

I'll have to dig out my old 85/2 Nikkor to see if it gives similar results.

monza

Bear in mind the 85/2 will be essentially an 85/2 when adapted with the Speed Booster (~1.4 in light gathering but ~2.0 in DOF equivalency.)

If you are talking about a straight adaption of a 50/1.4 to a NEX, then yes, you'll be at roughly 75/1.4 in light gathering, f/2 in DOF equivalency.

V

Vivek

Bear in mind the 85/2 will be essentially an 85/2 when adapted with the Speed Booster (~1.4 in light gathering but ~2.0 in DOF equivalency.)

If you are talking about a straight adaption of a 50/1.4 to a NEX, then yes, you'll be at roughly 75/1.4 in light gathering, f/2 in DOF equivalency.
I hope that post is NOT for Brian, Robert. Brianc1959 is the creator of the Speed Booster. :)

V

Vivek

I'm really learning a lot from your tests images, Vivek - thanks so much for doing all this!

I have to confess that an 85/2 is not something I would have though of as a compelling companion to the Speed Booster since it winds up being almost the same (at least superficially) as a plain vanilla 50mm f/1.4. However, the bokeh in your shots looks really nice. I'm curious about your opinion regarding the 85/2 + SB vs. a plain 50/1.4.

I'll have to dig out my old 85/2 Nikkor to see if it gives similar results.
Hi Brian, I am the one to be thanking youfor this!

I will try a comparison of the 50/1.4. However, I am sure that this OM 85/2 is something special.

FWIW, I bought this sample from monza (Robert). :)

monza

The three lenses I can't wait to try are C/Y 60/2.8 Makro Planar, 50/1.4 Planar, and 85/2.8 Sonnar. :)

brianc1959

Hi:
I'm Brian. Pleased to meet you!

I'm a bit old-school, so I never think in terms of equivalency with regard to focal length and f/#. So the combination of an 85/2 plus the Speed Booster *is* a 60mm f/1.4 lens.

So, I'm thinking that superficially it should act pretty much like an ordinary 50/1.4 mounted to a NEX with a plain adapter. What I'm interested in here is whether there is something subtle (and hopefully worthwhile!) going on with a bokeh difference between these two cases. It's just something that hadn't occurred to me until I read Vivek's post.