The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

f/otographer

Metabones is interested in developing a Minolta MD version, but as far as I know this is still just something that is being investigated rather than a definite product plan. The QA page on the Metabones site is pretty accurate for questions like this: Questions?
Thanks for that Brian. I emailed them some time back and the response was that it was on their roadmap to be produced. Now it appears that it may not be a sure thing, but rather still up in the air. Well here's hoping. I mainly shoot old Rokkors and an SR speedbooster would make me really have no need for the new FF NEX that will be coming out.

I would like to personally thank you for the work you did to make the speedbooster a reality. It is an incredible new product and I know many people, myself included, are very excited about it.

V

Vivek

C/Y 28/2.8 @ f/2
This is another FL, I would have trouble choosing a lens for! I tried the humble OM 28/2.8, Nikkor 28/2.8, Elmarit 28/2.8, a Vivitar S1 28/1.9...all look good to me with the SB combo!

It has been a long time since I could see the focal plane, at f/2 (or wide open) clearly delineated by a 28mm wide lens!

I look forward to seeing more samples with the C/Y 28/2.8, Slingers. :)

brianc1959

Thanks for that Brian. I emailed them some time back and the response was that it was on their roadmap to be produced. Now it appears that it may not be a sure thing, but rather still up in the air. Well here's hoping. I mainly shoot old Rokkors and an SR speedbooster would make me really have no need for the new FF NEX that will be coming out.

I would like to personally thank you for the work you did to make the speedbooster a reality. It is an incredible new product and I know many people, myself included, are very excited about it.
Thanks for your kind comments - I hope the SB is a useful tool for your work.

Before coming out with a new dedicated mount version we have to be reasonably certain that *all* lenses made for that mount will actually function properly without any mechanical interference with the SB glass. Since many of the desirable lens mounts are "extinct" this is a daunting task for a small company. The total number of different models of 35mm SLR lenses made in the last 50+ years is truly mind boggling!

brianc1959

Thanks Brian,
Your assistance has been so helpful on many points!
John
Thank you for publishing sample images! In many respects the Zeiss 35-70/3.4 looks like a very promising lens for use with the SB since its exit pupil distance (not to be confused with focal length) passes right through the 60-65mm "sweetspot".

V

Vivek

I trimmed off the rear shroud of my Elmarit R 28/2.8 (this is the first version) and, now, it can focus to infinity without any problems. The Summicron R 50/2 is now painted to get rid off the shiny surface from the filing. The Elmarit will undergo such an operation soon. For some odd reason, I have been quite slow but thorough with these in the past days. The Elmarit is shown attached to a R to EOS adapter.

One of the things to note is the absence of IR markings on both the lenses. Of all the makers when Leica do not put an IR mark, it does mean something and it shows how well color corrected the images one gets out of these lenses (it is entirely worth the bother to do these minor modifications to put them to use). The taking lens for this shot, an OM 28/2.8, OTOH, does have an IR mark.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
NEX-6, Speed Booster, Olympus OM 28/2.8, 0.3m, Effective f/4

Slingers

This is another FL, I would have trouble choosing a lens for! I tried the humble OM 28/2.8, Nikkor 28/2.8, Elmarit 28/2.8, a Vivitar S1 28/1.9...all look good to me with the SB combo!

It has been a long time since I could see the focal plane, at f/2 (or wide open) clearly delineated by a 28mm wide lens!

I look forward to seeing more samples with the C/Y 28/2.8, Slingers. :)
Hi Vivek, Yeah i plan to get out and take some proper photos that make use of the wide angle and to compare with the sigma 19/2.8. Just finishing off some samples of my C/Y 85/2.8 and will post them soon. However again are quick ones around the house.

V

Vivek

Hi Vivek, Yeah i plan to get out and take some proper photos that make use of the wide angle and to compare with the sigma 19/2.8. Just finishing off some samples of my C/Y 85/2.8 and will post them soon. However again are quick ones around the house.
I would like to hear your thoughts on that 19mm Sigma.

FWIW, Only the Nikon 28/2.8 AiS appears to be great at infinity. The other 3 (Olympus, Vivitar and Leica) less so. This is just preliminary observations.

mazor

Vivek, just wondering, the ever so slight corner softness when using the speed booster with fast aperture EF lens when used wide open, does this apply to slower wide angle prime lens as well?, eg 15mm f3.5 say?

The reason I ask, is if I do get a speed booster, not only would I enjoy the added narrow depth and extra light, but also would like to use it for my ultra wides to capture landscapes which typically use infinite focus

f/otographer

Quick question...does the Summicron 50/2 require 'modification' to use on both the EF speedbooster (with R adapter) and the actual Leica R speedbooster?

V

Vivek

Quick question...does the Summicron 50/2 require 'modification' to use on both the EF speedbooster (with R adapter) and the actual Leica R speedbooster?
I can not answer that directly since I only have the EOS mount SB (which IMO is identical to the R version when an R adapter is mount).

This has been a known issue to Canon EOS users. Take a look here, for example:

SPECIFIC LEICA-R LENSES WHICH MAY NOT WORK ON A CANON dSLR

Other than that Google is your friend. :)

V

Vivek

Awesome, K-H :thumbs:

I see the sun is shining in your neck of the woods. :)

k-hawinkler

Awesome, K-H :thumbs:

I see the sun is shining in your neck of the woods. :)

Thanks Vivek. Today couldn't have been nicer.
It was warm and sunny, a shirt was good enough to keep warm outside.

Well for certain situations the MSB and the Leica Elmarit 28-90 seem to be a winning combination. :)

With best regards, K-H.

V

Vivek

The absence of a NEX-7 also helps, i think!

Yesterday, i made a few snaps indoors with a 6 and noticed that it took a few good seconds for the camera to get the WB right, along with that the exposure. Prior to that, the camera would let me take photos but with incorrect parameters. On asunny day, these differ quite a bit.