The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

V

Vivek

I believe that Canon will follow shortly....
Canon already have a mirrorless system camera, the EOS-M. I hope Nikon will wake up one of these days and start to smell the coffee. Even when they do, they will not offer any challenge to the NEX or the m4/3rds systems. Judging from their toy "1" system, they will be priced atrociously (even more than the EOS-M).

V

Vivek

I thought I saw you using the 45mm pancake also?

I have the 28mm f2 which renders beautifully for me on a DX nikkor, so thinking about it on an m43 with the speedbooster is something to anticipate.

I have lots of others to play with...

Doug
Sure. I even have the F3AF Nikkors (they do fantastically well with the Speed booster)!

greypilgrim

A 2-stop general-purpose speed booster in a cramped space has to have alot of optical power. This in turn creates a ton of under-corrected field curvature that just can't be corrected. As a result, the optical performance would be horrendous, and I'm just not interested in that kind of product.
Brian,
Thanks for the reply. Optically horrendous, yech, totally agreed, no interest in that at all.

Thanks for clarifying,

Doug

camping

When will a dumb Canon speed booster be made for the NEX?

The basic concept has proven itself with all the outstanding photos and lens combinations we have seen.

I and many other people are waiting.

We will then be able to use it for a variety of lenses, as the master adapter, without paying the higher price for the Smart Canon speed booster.

It is a marketing opportunity that has/will be filled

Thanks

Paul

V

Vivek

When will a dumb Canon speed booster be made for the NEX?

The basic concept has proven itself with all the outstanding photos and lens combinations we have seen.

I and many other people are waiting.

We will then be able to use it for a variety of lenses, as the master adapter, without paying the higher price for the Smart Canon speed booster.

It is a marketing opportunity that has/will be filled

Thanks

Paul
I think that is a valid outlook on this and hope the makers would consider it.

Apart from the optical qualities, once you have the SB mounted to a NEX (even 5N), the ergonomics change for the better, manifold! I use it with the tripod mount attached to it and it makes holding it comfortable and balanced. Also, what might look like big additions (AiS Nikkors, for example) in a picture, do not feel that way. This, one has to experience it in their own hands to see. Just fabulous. :)

V

Vivek

The earliest examples from an SB and tele lenses were from K-H and showed problems with vignetting and corner darkening. However, not all tele lenses behave that way. I have already shown a few samples. Here are a few more from an old Nikkor which is a forerunner to the 180 f/2.8 ED. All shot handheld and wide open- effective aperture f/2.5.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

NEX-6, Speed Booster, AF-Nikkor*ED 200mm f/3.5, Effective f/2.5

kaptnkain

Hey guys! This seems to be the only really active thread regarding the speedbooster on the net, so here I am.

I'm currently renting one for 2 weeks to evaluate. So far I've been using it with my Nikkor 50mm F/1.2 AI-s lens on my NEX-6:

When We Escape by I.Cherkasov, on Flickr

Kitty Love - MetaBones Speedbooster by I.Cherkasov, on Flickr

So far, I've noticed that this combination produces more vignetting than the Nikkor on a FF setup. However, it isn't that bad - it's got character! :)

Kaptnkain/I.Cherkasov,
great shots here and on your SLR to Nex 6 thread. Your shots certainly have character. Could you see yourself moving from SLR to Nex 6 and speedbooster?
John

kaptnkain

Speed booster is just a cool toy for NEX in my eyes. The NEX is worthy to replace my 40D, but it might not be worthy for everyone.

kaptnkain

Last one with the Nikkor 50mm F/1.2. I'm getting really attached to this combo...

Next up will be the Nikkor 85mm F/1.8D and the Canon 100mm F/2.8 Macro. I tested out the macro lens briefly today, and to my surprise AF was working! Now, it was horribly inaccurate, but it was working nonetheless!.

After All by I.Cherkasov, on Flickr

V

Vivek

Hi K-H, I have no idea how many lenses I have, honest! All I know is that only a small portion has been mounted on the SB and whenever I mount a prime, a few hundred snaps are taken before a lens change.

Here are some mundane wall snaps using an OM 50/1.2. Brian was wondering how it behaves with respect to vignetting at various apertures.

At f/1.2

f/5.6

f/11

f/16

NEX-6, Speed Booster, Olympus OM 50/1.2, Tripod mount setup

No hood on the lens (I do use a hood while shooting for real). One thing to note is the change of WB due to changes in the amount of vignetting. There is no added vignetting from the use of the Speed Booster.

I used to own a Nikkor 50/1.2 AiS which vignetted even on a D200/300 at f/1.2. One of the forum buddies Kevin is now enjoying it on his Canon FF cams. The OM 50/1.2, I bought expressly to use with the Speed Booster. It has not disappointed. It is stunningly awesome (I am out of superlatives..). :thumbs:

V

Vivek

However..when the focus is spot on and everything else is taken care of, the results are incredibly sharp images.

NEX-6, Speed Booster, Olympus OM 50/1.2, Effective f/0.9

The OM 50/1.2 +SB combo is incredibly contrasty wide open. Even more contrasty than the Summicron R 50/2 on a NEX using a plain adapter! In the samples above, I toned down the contrast by 10%.

Vivek, great shots over at the Street thread, including the three shots above the following,
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/34977-street-images-9.html#post493086

Here is the Nikon 20mm 2.8 als via Canon SB on 5n,
note my comment at the bottom of this post, that Metabones does not recommend using this lens!

And the Contax CY 28-85 at 28mm and 85 with some architecture circa 1900 on a dull day,

Now I see that the Nikon 20mm 2.8 als is on the metabones list for not fitting on the Canon EF Speedbooster!
The protusion appears to be pushing down the Canon ef contact pins, making it harder to turn the lens when mounting, so perhaps not recommended, and certainly not recommended by Metabones, as you can see on the following link or below,
http://www.metabones.com/sony/ef-e-speed-booster
"Many manual focus lenses have rear protrusions (spikes, levers, other appendages) which would damage the optics and/or housing of Speed Booster™. They need to be modified before they can be safely used on Speed Booster™. Check and make sure there are no rear protrusions from the adapter/lens combination before using on Speed Booster. Scratches and damages caused by rear protrusions or by poor quality adapters are not covered by warranty. The following is an incomplete list of lenses known to be incompatible.

Leica R
Super-Elmar-R 15mm
Elmarit R 28/2.8
Elmarit R 35/2.8
Summicron R 50/2

Nikon F
20/2.8 AI-S

Olympus OM
OM 18/3.5
OM 21/2
OM 21/3.5
OM 28/2.8
OM 50/1.8

Pentax K
Every Pentax K-mount lens has a protruding fin and an aperture lever. It does NOT fit."

Last edited: