The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

V

Vivek

A question Vivek. Can they OM Zuiko 50/1.4 be used on the EOS SB without damaging the glass?
I know for sure that the OM 50/1.2 needs no alterations. The OM 50/1.8, I just yanked (gently) the rear aluminum shroud out with a pair of pliers. I do not know if the 50/1.4's aluminum shroud would interfere with the optics. It is safer to pull it out. No harm done to the lens or its functions.

V

Vivek

V

Vivek

An indoor snap with the OM 50/1.2.

NEX-6, Speed Booster, Olympus OM 50/1.2, Effective f/0.9

I still do not think I have a decent picture with the SB + OM 50/1.2 combo to fully show how sharp the images (in the focused areas that is) can be.

V

Vivek

Indeed! Combine that with the sharpness (that does not happen with a OM 50/1.2, straight on), the results are quite pleasing.

Here is a test snap using a grand old CZJ Biotar 75/1.5 lens under the usual overcast skies. Absolutely no worries with CA! The swirly bokeh is back but, in my view, in a very controlled fashion (just about right for my taste).

NEX-6, Speed Booster, CZJ Biotar 75/1.5, Effective f/1

Leica R 60mm via Canon SB on Nex 5n

I do wonder whether wide ZM and Contax G lens will work on a future full frame Nex all the way to the edges. From reports on the VG900 this sounds possible. Otherwise a Nex crop camera and a speed booster is a great way to go in order to use ZMs and Contax Gs on crop and SLR lenses for the FF like look.

V

Vivek

The Canon EF 50/1.3 II is becoming a favorite of mine. The lens does pass some useful UV although not as much as the Speed Booster would allow.

With a (Quartz) close up diopter (EXIF: aperture is f/3.2). With appropriate filters on the lens.

Visible:

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

and in near UV:

V

Vivek

I was out earlier (2 hours ago) and grabbed this night shot with a slight panning.

NEX-6, Speed Booster, Canon EF 50/1.8 II, Effective f/1.3, 1/100s, ISO6400