The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

Rawfa

Man, why do we need a us$3500 FF NEX that will only take Sony lenses now that we have this? :)
The only problem here is actually getting ones´ hands on these adapters. They are completely out of stock.

Rawfa

Vivek, I have to tell you these results you´ve posted are really really bad. I think you should sell you SB asap as it´s ruining your style. As a good pal I´ll do the sacrifice of taking it off your hands :)

Man, I keep going over and over this thread. Everyday I check the Metabones´ website waiting for the EF adapter to be available. I´ve already got a Canon 28mm 1.8 and a Canon 50mm 1.4 that I´m super eager to test.

f/otographer

The CY SB was finally in stock so I ordered it up and its on the way. Hopefully I will have some samples up soon.

I am wondering if the CY/M42 adapter will work on it. I really want to pop my Biotar on there and give it a spin.

V

Vivek

Vivek, I have to tell you these results you´ve posted are really really bad. I think you should sell you SB asap as it´s ruining your style. As a good pal I´ll do the sacrifice of taking it off your hands :)

Man, I keep going over and over this thread. Everyday I check the Metabones´ website waiting for the EF adapter to be available. I´ve already got a Canon 28mm 1.8 and a Canon 50mm 1.4 that I´m super eager to test.
Hi Rafa, If you are here locally, I might lend it for a few days. I waited mine for >1 year and it has exceeded all my expectations. So, no chance of it parting my hands, brother. :)

Call the sellers or resellers (monza was planning to be an agent for NA, I think, Stefan Steib for the EU- I have no idea how that has worked out for both).

Rawfa

I cannot blame you, V :) Lets see if I can get mine faster. I´m about to shoot a 10 episode show and I´d love to use the SB.

I have to say that lately I´ve been torn by a doubt...for about us$500 more I can get a used Mark II, which is awesome for video. I could then sell the NEX7 and get a basic NEX3 series for like us$200 as my travel cam. Oh, so many toys....

Nagas

Some interesting stuff here, Thanks for posting. I also just ordered the C/Y to Nex SB and a Contax Zeiss 50/1.7. I can´t wait for them to arrive... I am also very curious about the M42 to C/Y adapter, since I am really interested in getting a 35/2.4 Flektogon (I had it once and loved that lens, would be awesome to use it again...).

f/otographer

Some interesting stuff here, Thanks for posting. I also just ordered the C/Y to Nex SB and a Contax Zeiss 50/1.7. I can´t wait for them to arrive... I am also very curious about the M42 to C/Y adapter, since I am really interested in getting a 35/2.4 Flektogon (I had it once and loved that lens, would be awesome to use it again...).
Wow, thats kinda weird. That is exactly the combo I am looking at getting. I will be picking up a planar within the next week or so and the Flektogon was next on the list if the M42 adapter works out.

Which it does by the way. But my adapter is loose in the SB just as it is in any other CY mount I have used it in. I need to get a better M42/CY adapter to make sure it will be all snug and work OK.

f/otographer

A few quick around the house shots of my little girl with the CY Speedbooster on my NEX 7. For these shots I used the Yashica ML 50/1.7 (Series 2). I'm pretty pleased with the results and cant wait to take this new combo out into the world and start shooting.

All shots are straight out of the camera using the high contrast B&W mode.

Nagas

Wow, thats kinda weird. That is exactly the combo I am looking at getting. I will be picking up a planar within the next week or so and the Flektogon was next on the list if the M42 adapter works out.

Which it does by the way. But my adapter is loose in the SB just as it is in any other CY mount I have used it in. I need to get a better M42/CY adapter to make sure it will be all snug and work OK.
Great minds think alike..:D:salute:

I just ordered a Fotodiox M42-C/Y adapter even when I won´t be purchasing the Flek yet (for some reason adapters always take much longer to arrive than lenses...:cool:). Hope it will be a decent adapter and that it will work OK.

Those are lovely portraits of your girl, the ML lenses are quite something, aren´t they?

On a different note, I don´t quite get Metabone´s move of making Alpa-Nex SB. I am sure they have done their survey and have good reasons, but Alpa adapters are scarce and wildly overpriced. I think they are missing a great business opportunity by not offering reasonably priced Alpa adapters (MD and FD to Alpa would be awesome), and would certainly turn the Alpa SB into a hot seller. Unless I am missing something, with a 37.7mm flange distance Alpa mount certainly allows for quite a number of interesting combinations...

Great minds think alike..:D:salute:

I just ordered a Fotodiox M42-C/Y adapter even when I won´t be purchasing the Flek yet (for some reason adapters always take much longer to arrive than lenses...:cool:). Hope it will be a decent adapter and that it will work OK.

Those are lovely portraits of your girl, the ML lenses are quite something, aren´t they?

On a different note, I don´t quite get Metabone´s move of making Alpa-Nex SB. I am sure they have done their survey and have good reasons, but Alpa adapters are scarce and wildly overpriced. I think they are missing a great business opportunity by not offering reasonably priced Alpa adapters (MD and FD to Alpa would be awesome), and would certainly turn the Alpa SB into a hot seller. Unless I am missing something, with a 37.7mm flange distance Alpa mount certainly allows for quite a number of interesting combinations...
The Metabones dude is an alpa fanatic - from what I've read.

Michiel Schierbeek

Followed this thread with interest and after seeing he results here and elsewhere, I ordered a Speedbooster as well in C/Y mount. I have 14 Zeiss C/Y lenses, of which 3 Zooms, so that should be fun. At the same time ordered a cheap M42 to Yashica adapter to put some new life in my M42 lenses.
Looking forward to put the Helios 40 and Flektogon 35 on it.

I waited to long for a FF mirrorlesscamera and this will satisfy me, I hope for the time being. I was on the brink to buy a FF dslr, but I do not want big cameras.

Michiel

Michiel,
I look forward to hearing your what you think.
John
I assume that a FF Nex will not be able to do well in the corners with range finder wides like a Contax G 21mm. And since the FF sensor will be tuned to the full frame, it might not do as well in 1.5 crop as the 5n with range finder wides.
So for me a 1.5 crop Nex camera and SB has a future.
I have been saving Contax SLR lenses for a full frame Nex,
but doubt that such a camera will be able handle everything I want to throw at it, or at least not for some time.

f/otographer

Nagas, thanks for the compliment. And yes the ML lenses from Yashica are outstanding examples of the lens makers art, forever overshadowed by their Zeiss brethren. It is a shame really since it is easy to see the ML line as the budget option in the whole Contax/Yashica universe but the fact is that they are excellent performers in their own right. And then there is that persistent internet rumor that the Series 2 ML 50/1.7 really has the Planar 50/1.7 glass inside, but probably with the ML coating instead of the T*. When I get my Planar I plan on doing some side by sides to see if this may be true. Regardless, it would be nice to see how the ML stacks up to the Zeiss.

On a slightly different note, I must admit that I am reconsidering the Flektogon purchase now. Its a great lens and I really want to shoot with one but there is something to be said for having as few adapters as possible on your camera. Just a personal thing really, as I dont like any slop or play in the mounts. And while there is not a direct counterpart for the Flek in the C/Y lineup (the Distagon 35/2.8 doesnt focus anywhere near as close as the Flek does) there are some very good options available. Such as the Distagon 28/2.8 and even the Sigma Super Wide II 24/2.8 in CY mount, which focuses very close indeed. I had a Sigma Mini Wide 28/2.8 that was amazing which I foolishly sold not to long ago. Regretting that decision, but I have followed the work of the young man I sold it to on Flickr and he is doing amazing things with it.

Michiel, I to look forward to your work with the SB. And I am envious of your Zeiss collection.

f/otographer

While the wind was a bit blustery yesterday today things have calmed down. I was able to pop outside the front door to where some bees were dutifully gathering pollen on the lavender plants. All shots are straight out of the camera using the ML 50/1.7 on tubes with the SB.

a world of color

drowning in the bokeh sea

alien harvester

Oh Noes! The monkey sees me!

fade to pale