The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

V

Vivek

Nice, Taylor.

Not sure what you mean by the infinity issue/flat field issue.

Try it on people (not under mid day sun). Nothing can beat a Summicron for the skin tones.

f/otographer

John and Cindy, thank you for the compliments. And John, thanks for the info on the lens. But I have a bad case of Zoomitis. I just cant bring myself to use zooms when so many good primes are available. I must admit I looked heavily at the Zeiss and Yashica zoom offerings and while some of them are nice indeed I simply cant mount one on my camera. I have always seen the NEX as a 24mp digital back for every prime lens ever made. It really is the essence of a Prime camera. But I really do appreciate the suggestion. :)

Taylor, lovely work with the Summicron. I heavily considered using Leica lenses on my NEX, especially when the SB came out, but then I remembered what tax bracket I live in.

Rawfa

Guys, I don´t know if someone can clarify this for me, but I´m curious about possible changes in the minimum focusing distance. I have a Canon 28mm 1.8 and a Canon 50mm 1.4 and neither of these lenses focus particularly close. Is this affected in any way?

V

Vivek

You can always use Canon EOS extension tubes.

I just tried another possibility- adding Kenko extension tube between the camera and the Speed Booster. It gets close but there also seems too much fuzz.

Rawfa

You´re right, Vivek...I could use the tubes but if the minimum focusing distance were reduced using the SB this would be a great bonus :) . Too much of a hasle using a bunch of adapters stacked together.

Slingers

Guys, I don´t know if someone can clarify this for me, but I´m curious about possible changes in the minimum focusing distance. I have a Canon 28mm 1.8 and a Canon 50mm 1.4 and neither of these lenses focus particularly close. Is this affected in any way?
With my lenses the focussing distance has stayed the same. The C/Y Sonnar I have starts at 0.9 metres and is the same with and without the speedbooster.

Taylor Sherman

Nice, Taylor.

Not sure what you mean by the infinity issue/flat field issue.

Try it on people (not under mid day sun). Nothing can beat a Summicron for the skin tones.
So far, what I've seen is that at f/2 or f/2.8 I get pretty bad results at longer distances - not sharp in the center, and getting a bit smeared moving outwards from there. Though, that's always been with the SB on so I can't rule that out, or some interaction. Also this was looking at 100% crops, I haven't seen (or really tried to see) issues with it at normal sizes.

V

Vivek

I would check without the SB and a plain adapter. If that behavior continues then there is something wrong. If it was an used lens, check if it has all the elements (not joking) and if it had been opened for a cleaning- in this case whomever did this might have flipped an element the wrong way while putting it back (again, not joking- I have seen such stuff with used Leica lenses in particular). Can you show a picture of the front of this lens?

f/otographer

This Yashica ML 50/1.7 is really becoming my favorite lens. Maybe I have a really good copy, maybe the rumors of it having Ziess glass in it is true. Anyway, went out to a little field of flowers today to hunt down some critters. Its amazing what you can find hiding in the grass. All shots on the SB with the aforementioned ML. Two of them on tubes, one not.

sworls

a classic

just leaving

V

Vivek

The first one, especially, is gorgeous! Focused and sharp in the right areas. :)

FWIW, Yashica were perfectly capable of making good optics. I have used the 50/1.7 with an FX camera.

f/otographer

Thank you Vivek. In the first shot the little critter wasnt moving so it was easy to get the focus spot on. Well, I say easy...I shoot all my macro handheld and I still had to compensate for the wind moving the plants around. But compared to capturing fast moving bees I should say it was easier.

And I agree, Yashica optics are up there with the best. They are very well made for the most part and their purchase of Tomioka back in the day really brought some great lens manufacturing in house for them. There is just something about Tomioka lenses and the way they render OOF areas that I have always found very special.

Thanks John. The bee is just getting airborne from the lower flower that is in sharp focus. I almost captured him sitting there but he launched into the air right as the shutter clicked. That is why he is slightly out of focus. I get a lot of mis shots like this but I kept this one since the flower really highlights the scene and I think the slight blurriness of the bee adds some motion to the overall shot. Glad you like it.

f/otographer

Here is another shot from the same outing. This one however is from my Yashica ML 50/1.4. Interesting how this lens on the NEX 7 saw the greens a little differently then the 1.7 did. This guy is definitely hanging on John. :)

hard at work

Stefan Steib

Phantastic ! And probably you got something else to envy - Good weather ! Whole Europe is drowned in snow, so you really are lucky to shoot these !

Greetings from a snow covered Allgäu
Stefan

Here is another shot from the same outing. This one however is from my Yashica ML 50/1.4. Interesting how this lens on the NEX 7 saw the greens a little differently then the 1.7 did. This guy is definitely hanging on John. :)

hard at work

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just looked at their site and did not see one for Nikon G lenses. Anyone have a guess when they maybe available. Love to use my Zeiss 25f2 , sigma 35 1.4 and a couple of my Nikon G glass on my new Nex 7.

I think they really need a beta tester for it. LOL

f/otographer

Just looked at their site and did not see one for Nikon G lenses. Anyone have a guess when they maybe available. Love to use my Zeiss 25f2 , sigma 35 1.4 and a couple of my Nikon G glass on my new Nex 7.

I think they really need a beta tester for it. LOL
Guy, I think a Nikon F adapter is in the works but dont quote me on that. As a work around you could order the EOS to NEX Speedbooster and then buy a Nikon G to EOS adapter. I know Novoflex makes a high quality one, a bit pricey though. I know others here have used several adapters on the EOS/NEX Speedbooster with much success.

CronoDL

Hi everyone!

I'm newly registered to GetDPI, but I've been following this thread this the Speed Booster was announced. I purchased the EF-NEX SB last week and thought I'd share some thoughts with you all. It's a long post, so I'm copying what I had shared on another forum.

Okay, so I had a few days to play with it, and here are my findings so far, as well as two samples. I no longer have a full frame DSLR, so I can't directly compare the image quality of the Speed Booster to how a lens would perform on a full frame camera. I've mainly been using the Nikon Series E 50mm 1.8, because I've missed using a 50mm full frame equivalent ever since I sold my 5D Mark II.

I've mostly been shooting wide open to get a feel for manual focusing on the NEX-6, and to finally get some full frame DOF again. A combination of focus peaking and focus magnification helps me focus as accurately (or even more) as I would using an AF camera/lens. Peaking is mostly dependable once you get a good feel for it. However, when shooting wide open at 1.8, I usually use magnification to fine tune. I find that the MF process is actually much quicker than I had expected. The EVF on the NEX-6 definitely helps when using magnification. Also, I set the AEL button to MF magnification for quick and easy access.

Wide open with the 50mm, the image center is acceptably sharp for me, though may be slightly soft for those demanding tack sharpness. Image corners are soft, though not bad at all, but I'm guessing that has more to do with the lens than the speed booster. Stopped down to 2.8, and everything, even corners, are SHARP.

Here are two samples with the 50mm 1.8 and SB. These are shot wide open using MF, so please be kind. Also, I'm not a portrait photographer by any means! Feel free to ask questions!

Danny

Candice & Metabones Speed Booster by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr

Candice & Metabones Speed Booster by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr