The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

f/otographer

Sorry Crono, I have no experience with that lens.

A couple more from the CY speedbooster, this time with the ML 28/2.8. Which unfortunately I need to return to the seller because the focus ring and aperture ring is stiff, along with some edge issues with front element. Shame, seems to be a lovely lens. These were shot with a Minolta close up lens on the front.

be careful in the high grass

deadly sunset (focus isnt spot on but I liked this one)

CronoDL

Thanks for the quick reply. And those shots are very nice! There's a very ethereal quality to them.

I got my SB last week, and here's two quick snaps taken with a Nikon Series E 50mm 1.8. Very cheap lens but great image quality. So far, the SB performs as advertised, and I'm still stoked at being able to have the full frame look in such a small package compared to the 5D2 that I never took out of the house.

Danny

Candice & Metabones Speed Booster by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr

Candice & Metabones Speed Booster by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr

V

Vivek

A couple more from the CY speedbooster, this time with the ML 28/2.8. Which unfortunately I need to return to the seller because the focus ring and aperture ring is stiff, along with some edge issues with front element. Shame, seems to be a lovely lens. These were shot with a Minolta close up lens on the front.
Since the field coverage of most of the shots you showed here are nearly the same, I am curious as to why you change the lens?

f/otographer

Since the field coverage of most of the shots you showed here are nearly the same, I am curious as to why you change the lens?
Well, mainly I was just trying out my new 28mm. And I will shoot just about any lens in a macro setting. But actually if you notice the 28mm shots do show a bit more of the surrounding area. For instance, the yellow jacket in the last two shots is a decent bit bigger then the bees, so keep that in mind when gauging perspective. Also, the yellow jacket was A LOT bigger then the little caterpillar thing in the other photo. I also dont get as much of a narrow depth of field with the 28. But like I said, its mainly just about experimentation.

f/otographer

Just for shits and giggles I went out and shot the same little guy today with the YUS 28/2.8 mounted on the SB. A completely different lens, its seems to render very similar to the ML 28/2.8, although with a lesser coating and different optical formula. The YUS also had the Minolta close up lens on the front.

dont tread on me

I got to play with an eos sb. The thing is well built. The 6 and my 7 seems to have a slightly different flange focal distance, different infinity points. It worked with one of my contax chipped adapter. I haven't played with the files yet.

Rawfa

Guys, I´ve ordered my SB EF-NEX last week with shipping via EMS (as Fedex is taxed 65% over the product price here in Brazil). What was your experience getting the SB when ordered via EMS?

Nagas

Just for shits and giggles I went out and shot the same little guy today with the YUS 28/2.8 mounted on the SB. A completely different lens, its seems to render very similar to the ML 28/2.8, although with a lesser coating and different optical formula. The YUS also had the Minolta close up lens on the front.

dont tread on me
You gotta love that image!! I am really enjoying your macro shots with the SB.

I received my Speedbooster and Contax Planar 50/1.7 after the easter break and a loong stay in customs facilities... I am soooo excited even when I haven´t been able to shoot anything serious with it yet. The only thing I miss from my 5DMKII was he 50L that was glued to my body. Now I am back in track with plenty of DOF control and very fast lens for low-light shooting. And at half the weight/bulk!!

Now just out of curiosity I did a quick informal shootout with my Minolta MD 50 1.7 and even when the Zeiss lens has a clear advantage in some aspects, the Rokkor remains a favorite of mine, lovely lens (I am hoping there will be a MD-Nex speedbooster sooner than later, Rokkors are among my faved lenses). Just for those that may be interested:

-Zeiss is (marginally) sharper wide open though at the cost of quite a bit of purple fringing (absent in the Rokkor lens). By f/4, the Rokkor is pretty much as sharp as the Plannar.

-Zeiss much (maybe a bit too much to my liking) warmer than the Rokkor. The Rokkor has the typical greenish/blue cast, whereas the Zeiss is much more redish/orange-ish.

-The Zeiss seems to let a little more light in at identical apertures (identical exposures are consistently brighter for the Zeiss, not much but it´s there).

-Zeiss seems to hold more detail in shadows and highlights, but gives the impression of having better contrast (micro-contrast?). Better shadow detail in the Zeiss may be due to the (slightly) brighter exposure? At f/2.8 the Zeiss is about as nice a lens can be and by f/4 there is little to fault in the Rokkor.

-I may like the Rokkor bokeh a little better wide open, but it may be too soon to conclude this. :poke:

Take all of this with a (huge) grain of salt, this are just quick dirty findings...:D

So far i am just disliking the strong purple fringing of the Zeiss wide open (and the rather long minimum focusing distance, but that I knew already..). Funny enough, there seems to be less PF when mounted on the SB, but I need to check this a bit more carefully... Still plenty love for my lil´Rokkor..:p

Getting acquainted with my new Zeiss...

f/otographer

Ok, first off, your post has only just now become visable to me Crono. The last two days I have been looking at this thread and I havent seen your post or your pictures. Strange. Very lovely photos though. And your right, the E series 50 has some very nice glass in it.

Nagas, thank you for the compliment. Its very odd that you mention CA with the Zeiss 50/1.7 as I have noticed the exact same thing. I have tested three different ones with in the last few weeks and all three at some point exhibited purple fringing. My ML 50/1.7 exhibits little to no PF in the same circumstance. Very odd. Luckily I have come upon a great copy of the ML so the Planar I ordered is going back. Now I just need to choose which wide and which portrait primes I am going to get to complete my set. Its a shame that Yashica never made an ML 85mm. So I might have to go ML 28mm (or 24) and an 85/2.8 Sonnar. We will see. Cant wait to see your photos.

And I know what you mean about Rokkors. I am a huge Minolta fan and the only reason I ordered the CY SB is that I was growing impatient waiting for an MD SB. There is something very special about Minolta glass. They were simply some of the best lenses ever made. I am a huge fan of the 50/1.7, my favorite being the MC Rokkor PF version. However, I stopped shooting with it after picking up a MC Rokkor PF 55/1.7, the older version of the MC lens with the silver aperture ring and big all metal knurled focus ring. I highly recommend this lens if you do not already have one. My copy is sharp wide open with wonderful Rokkor colors and bokeh as well as being pretty compact. Simply a great lens.

Nagas

Nagas, thank you for the compliment. Its very odd that you mention CA with the Zeiss 50/1.7 as I have noticed the exact same thing. I have tested three different ones with in the last few weeks and all three at some point exhibited purple fringing. My ML 50/1.7 exhibits little to no PF in the same circumstance. Very odd. Luckily I have come upon a great copy of the ML so the Planar I ordered is going back.
I nearly asked you before about the ML´s behaviour regarding PF. It seems to me that the ML lineup is a real sleeper. Not sure if the price difference with the Contax Zeiss "cousins" is always entirely justified.

Now I just need to choose which wide and which portrait primes I am going to get to complete my set. Its a shame that Yashica never made an ML 85mm. So I might have to go ML 28mm (or 24) and an 85/2.8 Sonnar. We will see. Cant wait to see your photos.
I´m considering following your advice and skipping the Flektogon altogether, and limiting my lineup to 28/50/ and 85 or 100. I have been looking for Contax and Yashica 28/2.8. The Yashica is obviously cheaper, but after your findings I may as well go for the ML. I am just curious about the Yus (which can hardly be found here in Europe), how different is it? Care to share your thoughts?

And I know what you mean about Rokkors. I am a huge Minolta fan and the only reason I ordered the CY SB is that I was growing impatient waiting for an MD SB. There is something very special about Minolta glass. They were simply some of the best lenses ever made. I am a huge fan of the 50/1.7, my favorite being the MC Rokkor PF version. However, I stopped shooting with it after picking up a MC Rokkor PF 55/1.7, the older version of the MC lens with the silver aperture ring and big all metal knurled focus ring. I highly recommend this lens if you do not already have one. My copy is sharp wide open with wonderful Rokkor colors and bokeh as well as being pretty compact. Simply a great lens.
Funny how we seem to be on a similar line of thought... :D I really wanted a MD SpeedBooster, but if it ever comes, I doubt it will be available any time soon, so decided not to wait. I am only interested in legacy lenses, so I skipped the Canon EOS SB (would really like a "dumb" EOS SB) and got the C/Y version since I guessed using the lovely Contax lineup wouldn´t hurt either..

I can see an MD SB in my future if it ever becomes available...

CronoDL

I think my posts/pictures didn't show up because I'm newly registered to the forum. I was wondering why my post that had pictures in it hadn't shown up.

But yes, the speed booster works wonderfully for me. I'm looking for a wider lens to use with this. Maybe something 20mm-24mm or so, and the less expensive and smaller, the better. Would you guys recommend the Nikons and/or OM lenses in that range?

Also, what would you all recommend as the best 50mm 1.4 with the smoothest bokeh to be? Again, cheap and small is better. :) The Series E 50mm 1.8 is nice and small, but the bokeh can be rather nervous sometimes.

V

Vivek

But yes, the speed booster works wonderfully for me. I'm looking for a wider lens to use with this. Maybe something 20mm-24mm or so, and the less expensive and smaller, the better. Would you guys recommend the Nikons and/or OM lenses in that range?

Also, what would you all recommend as the best 50mm 1.4 with the smoothest bokeh to be? Again, cheap and small is better. :) The Series E 50mm 1.8 is nice and small, but the bokeh can be rather nervous sometimes.
Just go through the posts I made above. :D The ones I posted- the lenses I used for them, I love them all.

Nikon 20/3.5 AiS, 50/1.8 EOS MkII (beats the 50/1.8 AF Nikkor handily and this is the only EOS prime lens I use and own!), OM 50/1.2 (incredibly sharp even wide open!), Summicron R 50/2. Avoid the OM 50/1.8 as well.

Best 85 is the OM 85/2. ;)

f/otographer

Nagas, the YUS lenses are a bit of an oddity. Although I am sure Yashica had a reason for releasing them I have no idea why. They already had Zeiss as the premier line, ML as a strong second tier and DS-B's as a single coated budget option. YUS stands for Yashica U.S. so that would explain why they are hard to find in Europe, being made for and sold in USA only it seems. There were only 4 YUS items made, a28mm, a 135mm a zoom and a teleconverter.

Overall the construction of the lenses are solid, if larger and not as refined as the ML line. I know of (and own) two different versions of the 28mm. There is a 55mm filter version and a 58mm filter version. The larger version is pretty damn big for a 28mm lens. The smaller one is a tad larger then my ML 50/1.4 if that tells you anything. Here is a photo of the YUS (big version) next to a Minolta MD Rokkor X 28/2.8, Vivitar 28/2.8 and Mamiya Sekor 50/2. I will let you guess which one is the YUS.

That is not shot on the SB by the way. And it also shows my Contax 167MT, now sold, in the background.

Optically I just dont feel like the YUS would be up to the performance of the ML. I mean, you can see from the above photos that it performs very well (and similar) tot he ML 28 but I think the 28 might have a slight edge on sharpness. Also the coating on the YUS is inferior, but to what degree I couldnt say. Supposedly the YUS line had a single coating like the DS-B line but the YUS had a better single coating, whatever that means. I looked at the YUS coating under lights and while it wasnt as nice as the ML it did have several different colors down thru the lens, just not as snazzy or bright as the ML. So I would imagine the ML would win a flare contest.

But to be honest I didnt shoot to much with the ML 28 and just shipped it back today for a refund. I tell you what though, the build quality on the ML's are just nice. And I must say there is something in having a nice matching set of primes for the SB.

I tell you what I want and cant find. An ML 35/2.8. Seems to be rarer then hens teeth. Only three or four sold this year so far on the auction site, and only one of those in the later series 2 ML version. They arent expensive when they come up there just doesnt seem to be many of them around.

By the way, here is a good info link for ML lenses.
http://www.hi-ho.ne.jp/sbko-hq/YASHICA_ML/Lens.html

Crono, if you want some nice bokeh in a fast fifty try either the M42 SMC Takumar 50/1.4 or the Yashica ML 50/1.4. Also as Vivek said the Summicron is a stellar lens, if a bit on the pricey side. If you want a cheaper 24mm I recommend the Sigma Super Wide II 24/2.8 in any of those mounts. A very nice lens, can be had for cheapish, and comes with a nice pseudo macro ability as well. Here is a shot from my Sigma 28/2.8 Mini Wide, which is very similar to the 24 Super Wide.

Last edited:

CronoDL

Are there any issues with the Sigma mini-wide and super-wide hitting the speed booster glass? And it seems like the smc Takumar 50 1.4 doesn't have issues with the glass. Is that right?