The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

monza

Nice set! I've had all of those at one time or another, except the 35/1.4, and the 80-200 zoom, and the 18.

Have you tried the 28/2? One lens I should not have ever sold...

Also I don't see the 135/2.8, it's VERY good. I prefer it to the 100/3.5 I used to have.

Michiel Schierbeek

Wow, Michiel...that is simply an incredible collection of Zeiss glass. Impressive and enviable. :)

As for the 1.5 in the equation, that is the native crop factor of Sony NEX cameras. The SB is wonderful, but it cant make the crop factor go away. The white paper is correct in how it describes what it does to the lenses, but they leave out what happens when you actually put that on a camera. I thought that was a bit odd.

So what you end up with is the FL reduction and crop factor almost canceling out. Not 100%, but close enough for me.
Ah, of course, but at least we are getting close to the FL on the lenses :)

Hope to do some shooting with it this weekend. No time, but it is raining all day anyway.

Took me some time to get those Contax lenses. You need patience to get the good deals.

Michiel

Michiel Schierbeek

Nice set! I've had all of those at one time or another, except the 35/1.4, and the 80-200 zoom, and the 18.

Have you tried the 28/2? One lens I should not have ever sold...

Also I don't see the 135/2.8, it's VERY good. I prefer it to the 100/3.5 I used to have.
I went for the 28/2.8, which I like very much, after I bought the 35/1.4, which was the only lens I paid far to much for. It was already rather expensive, and it came from Suisse. I forgot it is not in the EU, so on top a lot of import duty.

The 21 and 28 are almost always expensive.

I never heard/red good storys about the 135/2.8, that's why I never went for it.
I like the 100/3.5 a lot. For it's size sharpness and funny bokeh.

Did you have the Tessar 200/4? It seems to be almost the size of the 135.

Michiel

f/otographer

A few from todays outing with the ML 50/1.7 (series 2) on tubes.

unfinished

you can find me here

surveying the damage "Oh man, I shouldnt have had that last enchilada..."

the color of sway

impression of a bee

like film

searching...

under the arch

the dark of the day

and a couple without the tubes...

daughter mine

argus (with close up lens)

monza

I went for the 28/2.8, which I like very much, after I bought the 35/1.4, which was the only lens I paid far to much for. It was already rather expensive, and it came from Suisse. I forgot it is not in the EU, so on top a lot of import duty.

The 21 and 28 are almost always expensive.

I never heard/red good storys about the 135/2.8, that's why I never went for it.
I like the 100/3.5 a lot. For it's size sharpness and funny bokeh.

Did you have the Tessar 200/4? It seems to be almost the size of the 135.

Michiel
Haven't tried the 200.

With regards to the 135, one reason I went for it is because it makes a nice gap to the 85/2.8 (as opposed to the 100/3.5.)

Z

Z45

Hello -

Here's a question for Brian Caldwell, if he happens to be reading this. I recently received my C/Y to Sony E mount Speedbooster. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow infinity focus with any of my Contax lenses - and I've tried 6 so far (18mm, 28 2.8, 35 2.8, 50 1.7, 50 1.4, 85 2.8). All of these lenses collimate properly on my Contax film camera, and reach infinity properly on my Nex 5N using a Novoflex adapter.

Clearly, the Speedbooster is not adjusted correctly. My question is this: will there be any optical compromises if I try to adjust infinity on the SB myself by unlocking the set screw and turning the ring which houses the optics? Is this what would be done if I return the SB to the factory for adjustment, or would they be able to shim the mount to properly adjust the adapter? I'm concerned that by fiddling with rotating the optical housing I might cause it to become slightly off-center or less than perfectly parallel to the sensor, and I'm generally leery of making any back focus adjustments without the proper tools. I'm willing to ship it back to the factory if doing so would mean better optical performance.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Michiel Schierbeek

The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam just reopened today after ten years of renovation.
The queen just opened it and here are the people standing in line for a free admission. It all looks splendid inside and outside!
Second photo people coming out on the other side.
Third photo, tourist hanging about.

Michiel

Last edited:

Rawfa

Argh!!!! My SB arrived in Brazil about a week after I´ve bought it but the customs process here is ridiculously slow. I´ve been waiting for 2 weeks already!

monza

It's fairly easy to determine if there is a physical conflict, without going so far that the lens becomes trashed...and considering how many lenses exist, it's not realistic to expect Metabones to have tested every single one...

V

Vivek

Nikon made a special converter to take Nikon F mount lenses: FC-1. This was in Arri mount. 0.6X conversion factor, IIRC. Special order optics, about 10cm long and costs >US $8,000. Has this been done before? Yes. Would many afford to buy one? No.

f/otographer

Well, I tried my hand at something different today. All these street photos have prompted me to shoot something other then macro. So I headed to downtown Sacramento today and gave it a whirl.

All photos with NEX-7, speedbooster, and Yashica ML 28/2.8. (After sending the other ML 28mm back I finally got another one. This one is much nicer to use.)

the crossing

riding off into the cliche

one of many

aspire to be(e)

the dark of the alley

suspicious advertising

Michiel Schierbeek

f/otographer-I have a Yashica 28/2.8 DSB Is that about the same lens? A little newer, I believe.

Here are some from yesterday with the zoom. Nice for framing!

Michiel

Departure

turbines

The Yashica ML series were the last and probably best. The YUS and DSB preceded the ML. I have the ML 24, 28, 35, 50, 28-50 and 35-70mm f3.5 one touch, fixed aperture. The 28, 35 and 50s are excellent. I am anxious to try all of them on the SB that I received this morning.

Michiel Schierbeek

The Yashica ML series were the last and probably best. The YUS and DSB preceded the ML. I have the ML 24, 28, 35, 50, 28-50 and 35-70mm f3.5 one touch, fixed aperture. The 28, 35 and 50s are excellent. I am anxious to try all of them on the SB that I received this morning.
Hello Paul, long time no see :)
Thanks for the clarification on this! I never looked into yashica lenses that much. Which SB did you buy? For M4/3 I suppose.

kind regards, Michiel

turbines

I agree. To get a real classic design Sonnar, one has to use an Olympus OM 85/2 F. Zuiko Auto. Simply marvelous! :)
Hello Paul, long time no see :)
Thanks for the clarification on this! I never looked into yashica lenses that much. Which SB did you buy? For M4/3 I suppose.

kind regards, Michiel
I haven't been able to contribute much lately as I been confined to bed for almost 8 months with a Staph infection that resulted from knee replacements. After 7 surgeries I am finally on the mend.

I bought the C/Y SB for NEX. The late version of Yashica ML 50mm f1.7 I have and tested extensively appears to be as sharp, even wide open, as the Zeiss Planar. The 50mm f1.4 is also superb. I suspect the ML 35-70mm f3.5 was the predecessor to the Vario-Sonnar f3.4. My research revealed 4 versions of the ML 35-70mm with only one being a single touch fixed aperture zoom. One of the two touch variable aperture seems to have been built by Cosina and all others by Kyocera.

I am anxious to run some trials on the ML 35-70mm and the ML 28-50mm. I suspect both will perform quite well.

I always enjoy your images; keep them coming.

Paul