The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

f/otographer

The same little guy I have been shooting for a couple of weeks now. He was much more agitated today as I was getting the camera close. I am probably going to get stung soon. All photos with the Zeiss Biotar 58/2, 1959 M42 model, with a Minolta Close Up lens No.2 attached.

gonna get stung

nissen bokeh?

I cropped this one so its easier to see the nest reflected in its eye.
reflection

f/otographer

And btw, my Tamron SP 90/2.5 macro lens with C/Y adaptall arrived today. I will post up some shots as soon as I can take some. May be a day or two.

Rich M

The SB C/Y to NEX arrived and today was the first few hours to play. Nothing to post yet but, the Contax lenses appear more saturated and contrasty than I recall.....BUT, I have NEVER (except once or twice on my 5Dii) really shot them at their true (more or less) focal length. They have sat on m4/3 cameras.....the NEX 7......a Fuji X-Pro1.

It is really wonderful to have, in essence, a full frame lens presenting itself in full frame in its "true" focal length.

How cool is that???

:D ............R

I was about to pull the trigger on a flektogon, but I'll wait and try out an m42 adapter first with my peleng.

Last edited:
I on waffling on whether to get a Flektogon ken, mainly due to being unable to find a M42 to C/Y adapter that fits in my SB without wobbling around. I am very picky about any play in the lens area and both my old M42 adapter and a new one I ordered from the auction site are both slightly loose. Enough to annoy me anyway. The search continues and if I can find a snug adapter I will start using M42 glass again. I really love old screwmounts and I would like to get some results from my 1959 Zeiss Biotar and my Mamiya Sekor 55/1.8, both really nice lenses. If I can find an adapter that works I will look for a decent Flektogon.

I have a request. Does anyone have any of the Voigtlander SL I lenses to try on the SB? I have only just discovered these lenses and they seem to be very well made. I would like to see how the optical quality translates to the SB. Specifically the 40mm and 75mm.
Metabones Speed Booster - FM Forums

That's the cv40.

Rawfa

Guys, I´m really sorry to break up the fun, but does anyone have the SENDER NAME AND ADDRESS of the package that Metabones sends? I need this info ASAP to get my package out of customs :(

Rawfa

Many thanks, but I´ve just tracked the package and it was released from customs and it´s on my way. With a little bit of luck I should have it next week.

Rich M

Took the SB C/Y out for a spin with the Yashica 21ML.

It's like...."Wow....I have to go back to ultra-wide school." So....if any of these really look "off".....blame the photographer.

First impressions.....center sharpness is outstanding. Shot at f/3.5-f/8. Unless indicated all images are uncroppped.

Crop

Crop

The big "phew" is that I don't have to cave in and buy the Contax 21/2.8 (yet :D)

Michiel Schierbeek

Took the SB C/Y out for a spin with the Yashica 21ML.

It's like...."Wow....I have to go back to ultra-wide school." So....if any of these really look "off".....blame the photographer.

The big "phew" is that I don't have to cave in and buy the Contax 21/2.8 (yet :D)
Good to see you everywhere where the fun is, Rich :)

Does the Contax 21/2.8 not potrude to much into the adapter? I was wondering.

Michiel

f/otographer

I took my new Tamron SP 90/2.5 out yesterday after work and to make a long story short I am not happy with the results. Its not the lens mind you, which is in great shape and actually a wonderful piece of glass. I am very impressed with the construction and functionality of the old Adaptall macro lens. But I think it was my technique yesterday that set me off. A combination of being tired from work and not being used to using a 90mm macro lens (which is a little heavier and longer, which pushes me back further from my subject) resulted in a much lower then normal keeper rate. I salvaged a couple of shots from the whole thing and will post those below. I plan on taking the lens out again today to give it a more proper thrashing and see what results I may get.

I think both of these were shot with a 27mm extension tube. Not sure how close to 1:1 that gets me since the native macro of the lens is 1:2.

fanning to keep cool (yes, its this little guy again)

to be regarded (this might not have the tube, if so I was zoomed out)

And while dorking around outside I tried out the Biotar again in a macro setting. Salvaged a couple of shots from that one as well. I really think I was just tired.

i lost it in a dream

dangerous orbit

Rich M

Not being an expert macro shooter, I can say that trying to get 1:1 with extension tubes, handheld is a challenge. The plane of focus is extremely thin and the slightest movement, either wind movement or subtle body shifts, throws it off.

The pictures you posted have an ethereal quality. Keep shooting.