The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

V

Vivek

There is absolutely no better combination this (SB+ the current Planar 50/1.4)! :)

mbroomfield

Good to see you everywhere where the fun is, Rich :)

Does the Contax 21/2.8 not potrude to much into the adapter? I was wondering.

Michiel
I used the 21 c/y on the EF version of the SB without any issues. I imagine that the C/Y SB has the equivalent spacing in front of the lens to the EF + adapter I had to use.

f/otographer

BTW ken, thanks for the link to the forum. There is a lot of good information there on the SB.

Well I have to say that the Tamron macro and I just aren't seeing things eye to eye. I think for whatever reason this focal length does not suit my style of macro photography. Which is incredibly disappointing since I really love the build quality and styling of this lens. And oddly enough one of the wasp photos I posted yesterday actually got Explored on Flickr.

to be regarded warily | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Not being an expert macro shooter, I can say that trying to get 1:1 with extension tubes, handheld is a challenge. The plane of focus is extremely thin and the slightest movement, either wind movement or subtle body shifts, throws it off.
Very true Rich. I shoot all my macro handheld and 1:1 is definitely a challenge. I have a Minolta MD Macro Rokkor-X 50/3.5 that goes to 1:1 with its tube and I love shooting that lens. (Curse you Metabones! Release a Minolta to NEX adapter!). My keeper rate with the Rokkor is much higher. Again, this has nothing to do with the lens itself which is fantastic and sharp, its more of an issue of being used to a certain mindset when it comes to focal lengths and how I view my subjects. Weird, but there it is.

So with that being said I will post up the last couple of shots from the Tamron before I put it up for sale on my Etsy shop later today. One is a close up on a fence wire and the other was one of those "the one that got away" shots. If the bug had just stayed there for a nano-second longer...

All shots straight out of the camera with no processing. And people are complaining that the SB makes bokeh look bad.

a fence in three parts No.3

a second to late

Before I left the field I was shooting in I mounted up the Biotar again on the SB and gave it a quick whirl. The more standard 58mm felt like coming home.

a fence in three parts No.2

a fence in three parts No.1

f/otographer

Ok, heres an odd question. I dont think it has been covered in the thread so far.

Novoflex makes adapters for C/Y mount to use Medium Format lenses, Hassy, Exakta 66, Pentax etc. What happens if I mount a Medium format adapter on the C/Y speedbooster and use one of these lenses?

Would I still get the whole lens image compressed down or would it only crop the center still (since it is larger then a 35mm lens)? Would it let in even more light? Maybe a two stop gain? Anyone have any idea how this would work? I know some medium format lenses have very nice line/mm ratings in the center. Wonder what the possibilities could be.

Jonas

Ok, heres an odd question. I dont think it has been covered in the thread so far. (...)
It will always be a 0.71x focal length multiplyer and 1 stop faster.
I haven't tried this of course but see the situation as the same (or opposite) to common crop factors. The Speed Booster doesn't care what lens is sitting in front of it. It just behaves as designed.

V

Vivek

Ok, heres an odd question. I dont think it has been covered in the thread so far.

Novoflex makes adapters for C/Y mount to use Medium Format lenses, Hassy, Exakta 66, Pentax etc. What happens if I mount a Medium format adapter on the C/Y speedbooster and use one of these lenses?

Would I still get the whole lens image compressed down or would it only crop the center still (since it is larger then a 35mm lens)? Would it let in even more light? Maybe a two stop gain? Anyone have any idea how this would work? I know some medium format lenses have very nice line/mm ratings in the center. Wonder what the possibilities could be.

One thing you are overlooking (covered quite well in this thread) is requirement of the exit pupil position (also see my sample shots from an UV-Nikkor 105mm). The speed booster also is not the thing to use for macro/close ups.

Yes to what Jonas said.

Michiel Schierbeek

I have a Zeiss Biometar 85 for P6, not to big, I was just thinking about to try on the Speedbooster once I pushed the buy button for a P6 to M42 adapter.

V

Vivek

Thanks for the replies guys. I might have to dig into this a little further.

Why so Vivek?
Dig into it. As already mentioned, the exit pupil plays a key part. What K-H reported with his long teles apply to macro lenses as well. Angles covered are pretty much the same.

What I find with dedicated macro lenses (Leitz Summars, Photars, Zeiss Luminars and the Macro Nikkors- these are belllows lenses and not the regular SLR lenses) is that none would work usefully with the SB. Without the SB, they are spectacular.

BTW, do you have a name or just prefer your screen name?

f/otographer

Havent had much time to dig back thru the post Vivek, work and family et al. I dont really use a 'dedicated' macro lens, esp not a bellows lens. The Tamron was the closest I came to that on the SB. Usually I use a normal lens on tubes or with one or two Minolta close lenses attached. So far I am pretty pleased with the results, my Tamron misadventures not withstanding.

As for my name, I do have one. But f/otographer works for me here. :) You have probably seen some of my responses on AlphaRumors under another name, since there is a Vivek on that site and I assumed it was you. I post under many names on many different sites.

If we are discussing my preference then I would go with Lord Dark Imperator of the Nether Regions, but thats a bit weighty for discourse. :)

Rich M

Playing with different lens combos.....all uncropped.

21ML

45 Tessar

135 Sonnar

85 Sonnar

50/1.7

Last edited:

f/otographer

Amazing representations Rich. The shoe shot is great and the Sonnar 85 photo is to die for. What bokeh! Is the 50/1.7 the ML or the Zeiss?