The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

V

Vivek

Havent had much time to dig back thru the post Vivek, work and family et al. I dont really use a 'dedicated' macro lens, esp not a bellows lens. The Tamron was the closest I came to that on the SB. Usually I use a normal lens on tubes or with one or two Minolta close lenses attached. So far I am pretty pleased with the results, my Tamron misadventures not withstanding.

As for my name, I do have one. But f/otographer works for me here. :) You have probably seen some of my responses on AlphaRumors under another name, since there is a Vivek on that site and I assumed it was you. I post under many names on many different sites.

If we are discussing my preference then I would go with Lord Dark Imperator of the Nether Regions, but thats a bit weighty for discourse. :)
I am on this site and found that a Dave Smith has been posting on SB on p.net with the same images as you have here. That name is not even remotely associated with the nether regions, AFAIK. :)

Rawfa

I´d like to see the new Sigma 18-50mm f1.8 on the SB. I know it´s not designed for FF, but I´d like to see what would happen anyway. This could be an incredible combo for video.

Last edited:

Rich M

Amazing representations Rich. The shoe shot is great and the Sonnar 85 photo is to die for. What bokeh! Is the 50/1.7 the ML or the Zeiss?
Thank you. It's the Contax Zeiss 50/1.7. Still waiting on an m42 to C/Y adapter so I can mount the Zeiss (ZS) 35 Distagon and 50P.

It is so unusual to be shooting these in their "native" focal lengths. Happy guy. :)

Beautiful light, especially for the 21ML shot! Gorgeous shots, Rich! :thumbs:
Thanks Vivek....coming from you....high praise.

CronoDL

I've been shooting exclusively with the SB lately and it's been a fun experience going all manual. I was inspired by all the amazing insect shots that I purchased a set of extension tubes. I also purchased an OM 24mm 2.8 and 28mm f2 at good prices, and I love how small and tank-like they are. The 24mm fits fine, but I had to file down the protrusion on the rear of the 28mm f2.

Does anyone have experience with any smallish size lens around 85mm? I'm looking at a Nikon 85mm f2 AIS. Have any of you used that on the SB? I have a Canon 85mm 1.8, but it needs repair, and is a bit large compared to all these small manual lenses I've been playing with.

With all that said, I find myself most comfortable with a 50mm right now. Here's a few taken with the Nikon Series E 50mm 1.8. Bokeh gets a little busy sometimes, but it's a light and small lens that's easy to use. Very inexpensive also.

Coming From the Light by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr

Rainy Day by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr

S'mores Please by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr

Waiting by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr

f/otographer

I am on this site and found that a Dave Smith has been posting on SB on p.net with the same images as you have here. That name is not even remotely associated with the nether regions, AFAIK. :)
Haha, yeah thats me. :) I dont recall seeing a Vivek on pnet. What do you post as on there?

f/otographer

Crono, those are some amazing city shots. That first high key image is striking and the compostion and foucs of the other shots are inspiring. Well done.

Rich, great shots as well from the Contax 60. I especially like the old radio shot. Is that the S or C model? I debated getting one of these but it seemed like it might be a bit large. How does it handle on your camera?

Oh, forgot to mention. I ordered up a CZJ Flektogon, on of the Zebra 2.8 models. I was going to go with the 2.4 but this one seems to be almost unused, still in the orginal box. Its winging its way here from Poland so it will be a while. I will post pics as soon as I can shoot with it.

Last edited:

Rich M

Rich, great shots as well from the Contax 60. I especially like the old radio shot. Is that the S or C model? I debated getting one of these but it seemed like it might be a bit large. How does it handle on your camera?
I have the C (compact, 1:2) model. There are several reasons I like this lens compared to the S-version (1:1, quite large) and the Leica Makro-Elmarit R (1:2, barrel extends). It is a little soft in the corners at 2.8......which actually I like. It tightens up remarkably by 5.6. It balances nicely on the NEX/SB. I really appreciate the deeply concave barrel (and that the barrel does not extend), especially since it was raining yesterday and I didn't have to worry about drops on the lens. :D

Oh, forgot to mention. I ordered up a CZJ Flektogon, on of the Zebra 2.8 models. I was going to go with the 2.4 but this one seems to be almost unused, still in the orginal box. Its winging its way here from Poland so it will be a while. I will post pics as soon as I can shoot with it.
That should be nice.....doesn't this lens focus quite closely?

Rawfa

I´ve got my SB!! After a veeery long wait for customs to release it I´ve dropped by the post office and picked up the package. Since I´m at work I haven´t been able to test it yet, but I can tell it looks very well packed with good looking box with a massive block of foam. I will test it as soon as I get home. Obviously I will use it for photography, but I´m actually more excited about using it for a video project that I will start very soon....having a 28mm f1.2 will be mind blowing :)

mazor

congrats Rawfa on getting your speedbooster! I am so envious. I really wished I did not put so much investment on the metabones version 1 EOS to Nex adapter. It has evolved so much since, and now speedbooster. May have to sell some lens to get one myself lol

Michiel Schierbeek

That is a very nice sharp lens with very close focussing. Perfect for Macro work.
I have the the 2.4 as well in Praktica mount but it doesn't focus as close in that mount + I can't use it on the Speedbooster.

Love the mustard, the radio, and those bristles bristling!!

This is all so dangerous and new things to try,
Mamiya 120 f4 macro on Canon SB to Nex 5n,

f/otographer

Well, Im just a macro whore apparently. Couldnt pass up bidding on (and winning) an ML 55/4 Macro lens tonight. I am actually rather curious about this lens as there is not much info available about it on the web. My Yahshica Guide (1979, Milton Heiberg) lists it as the older of the two ML 55 macro lenses, the newer and more complex one being f2.8. The f4 model is a classic Tessar design, 4 elements in 3 groups. I can wait to see how it performs.

With this and the Flektogon coming I see lots more critters in my future. Michiel, thanks for the vote of confidence on the Flek. I am very excited about that lens and hope it is in as good of shape as the seller said it is.

CronoDL

Here's one from over the weekend, taken in Brooklyn. Even though I have a bunch of other lenses, I keep going back to the Nikon Series E 50mm, probably because of the comfortable focal length. Depending on the scene, there may be slight glow wide open, but add a bit of contrast while processing and it's an amazingly nice lens for the price. And it's almost weightless.

People By the River by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr

turbines

Tamron Adapatall2 problems

i experienced interference with two new ones on my Speed Booster for C/Y. I am not sure what the problem is but I believe something will need to be trimmed a bit on the adapter in order to prevent damage to the SB.