The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

CronoDL

Just a curious question. Does anyone think Metabones will update their speedbooster firmware so that Canon EF Lens can AF using the hybrid PDAF and CDAF found in the Nex 6 and 5r?

Has anyone actually used the speedbooster AF capabilities on their Nex?
I have an EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, and AF does work with the speedbooster. However, it's probably quicker, easier, and more reliable to use peaking and/or magnification. When using AF with the speed booster, the lens will rack focus back and forth a few times, similar to using CDAF on a Canon DSLR. It takes maybe 3 seconds to lock on, so it's not all that useful.

V

Vivek

Queen's night here. Took the NEX-6 + SB plus 2 OM lenses.

For this shot, accidentally the aperture was left at f16!

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
NEX-6, Speed Booster, Olympus OM 85/2, Effective f/8, 1/6s, ISO800, Mixed lighting

V

Vivek

Nothing special, Paul. It is the cheapest EOS -> OM adapter I could find (it is made of brass) from PRC, found on eBay.

V

Vivek

Thanks, Slingers. :)

What is even more special is the OM 50/1.2. Wide open with the SB, it is just incredibly sharp. It is difficult to explain. One has to experience the shocking sharpness themselves. It is hard to believe the effective aperture is f/0.9.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
And since we have been discussing some ML stuff recently here is a link I rediscovered that I had lost a long time ago. Has lots of info on the ML line with lens diagrams and everything.

https://plus.google.com/photos/114580255020610579118/albums/5475981310918273025?banner=pwa
Here's another good one....

Yashica ML Lens

There's been a lot of chatter over the years comparing (VERY favorably) the ML 100mm /3.5 macro to the Contax C/Y 100MP..........half the price.
Two great finds! Thank you.

Rawfa

These were done very fast and hand held so I don´t even know if it could be considered a comparison. I will try to do something more elaborate next weekend.

Canon 5D MarkII + Canon 28mm f1.8 @ 1.8

Nex7 + speedbooster + Canon 28mm f1.8 @ 1.3

Canon 5D MarkII + Canon 50mm f1.4 @ 1.4

Nex7 + speedbooster + Canon 50mm f1.4 @ 1.0

Canon 5D MarkII + Canon 80mm f1.8 @ 1.8

Nex7 + speedbooster + Canon 80mm f1.8 @ 1.3

f/otographer

I had hoped to have more time to shoot today. But I had to stay at work later then planned and then I received notice my Flektagon was being held at the post office and would be available for pickup later. So I rushed out when I got home and shot some with my new ML Macro 55/4 and then made it over to the post office to pick up the Flek before they closed. I sample some shots from the Flektagon in a nearby parking lot before rushing off to get dinner.

I am very impressed with the build quality on the ML Macro 55/4. Almost all metal and it is solidly put together. The only disappointment is the 5 bladed aperture. It did cause some distracting bokeh with my normal shooting style but I will keep at it with some more outings and see how it works. Overall though it is a great lens, acceptably sharp for the most part. For the budget macro lens in the ML lineup I think it is a neat little lens. Here are some of the keepers from todays outing.

wreath of barbs

untitled

piercing heaven

It seems to play well with the Speedbooster.

f/otographer

On the other hand, I am not terribly impressed with the build quality of the Zebra Flektogon. It seems to be made mostly of plastic. Having said that, I freaking love the lens. This copy seems to be in remarkable shape for its age and even came in its original box with a matching pentacon hood, also in the original box. As I said, I didnt have a lot of time to really play with it and the conditions today were quite windy which always makes macro a chore. Thats why you wont see many up close critter shots from either this lens or the ML today. But from what I can see so far the Flektogon definitely has that special Zeiss rendering and I cant wait to use it in better conditions. Its close focus ability is amazing. I could easily see this lens staying on my camera most of the time.

As with the ML the aperture is a bit of a downer, it being 5 bladed as well. Those pentagon highlights have to be well thought out and controlled, not something I normally like to do. Hmmmmm, there is the older version of this lens with up to 12 blades. Might have to look into that. As it is, here are some of the Flektogon keepers for today. This one plays a little strange with the speedbooster in regards to bokeh. More testing needed.

alone in the lot

busy world

memories of autumn

The fisheye was m42 and I didn't notice any play or wobble with the adapter and the sb. Now I'm on the hunt for a flek. Our maybe get a ZS like richm. :)

Rich M

The fisheye was m42 and I didn't notice any play or wobble with the adapter and the sb. Now I'm on the hunt for a flek. Our maybe get a ZS like richm. :)
I've tried two m42 to C/Y adapters......one a $5 no-name from Chine (terrible) and a Fotodiox.....both wobble.....the Fotodiox won't even lock into the SB.

Just bought a Kipon.......lots more money.....I hope I get lucky.

The ZS works nice though :D

Rawfa

MarkII - 28mm 1.8 @ 1.8 iso 400 shutter 50

NEX7 - 28mm 1.8 @ 1.3 iso 400 shutter 50

MarkII - 50mm 1.4 @ 1.4 iso 400 shutter 50

NEX7 - 50mm 1.4 @ 1.1 iso 400 shutter 50

MarkII - 85mm 1.8 @ 1.8 iso 400 shutter 50

NEX7 - 85mm 1.8 @ 1.3 iso 400 shutter 50