The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

Rawfa

Some very very quick tests while crossing the park (Canons 28mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8 ALL wide open ALL the time)

f/otographer

The fisheye was m42 and I didn't notice any play or wobble with the adapter and the sb. Now I'm on the hunt for a flek. Our maybe get a ZS like richm. :)
If you do decide on a Flektogon I recommend either the original silver bodies or the later 3rd version. The Zebra (which is the second series) I purchased is a great lens but I think the 5 blades are going to drive me crazy. Just my style of shooting and all. The earlier aluminum bodied lens can possibly have the same issues all the early Zeiss aluminum bodies had, namely oil on blades and shoddy construction. But you do get many, many blades. My aluminum Biotar has oil on the blades and the focus can be stiff but it takes great photos, and thats what its all about.

The later third version (2.4) is the most sought after. Mainly due to it clearing the Canon 5D's mirror where the other two Fleks dont. Also, the 2.4 has a different optical scheme then the 2.8's, but I couldnt tell you what they changed. If you do go for a series 3 flek dont get caught up in the red MC white MC hype. My research points to the fact that there is NO difference in any of the series 3 Flektogons (the 2.4's), be it with a red MC or white MC or with chunky letters or with Electric or whatever. They are all the same lens. Just buy the cleanest one you can find.

I did find one reference that pointed to the fact that the later series 3 may actually have slightly inferior glass then the first two series. This was due to the whole Communist block thing being in full swing when the third flek came out and Zeiss had some issues getting high quality glass during this time. But having said that, if you look at photos from the series 3 there is nothing that would suggest this. Any of the Flektogons will take damn fine photographs.

And this may all be redundant if you already know all this. :)

f/otographer

I've tried two m42 to C/Y adapters......one a $5 no-name from Chine (terrible) and a Fotodiox.....both wobble.....the Fotodiox won't even lock into the SB.

Just bought a Kipon.......lots more money.....I hope I get lucky.

The ZS works nice though :D
Thats really weird Rich. I bought a fotodiox and it was so tight it wouldnt even go all the way on and got stuck. Luckily it has the little indentations on the side so I could put in the spanner my old adapter came with and get it back off. It was so tight that if I didnt have the spanner I dont think I could have removed it.

Just shows the tolerances on all these adapters. I am just going to keep ordering them until I find a good one. My old original one that I complained about is still the best I have found.

f/otographer

There is that Rawfa processing I know and love. :)

BTW, thanks for all the back to back shots Rawfa. Seems like the NEX/SB combo is a little less contrasty sometimes.

f/otographer

A few more examples shot today. These are from the ML Macro 55/4.

synchronicity

pretending to be a flower

never give up

ghosts walking in daylight

dinner down at three poles

tannis, for lack of a better title

f/otographer

And a couple from the Flektogon. Would have shot more but battery and inspiration were running out.

papa's almost home

again the window

Michiel Schierbeek

After I looked at a small youtube tutorial how to change an adaptell mount on Tamron lenses :confused:
Just couldn't get the Minolta one off to put the C/Y on my just received Tamron 24/2.5

Here are some test shots.

Rawfa

Love these two, Rich. I´m a guy who does mostly color photos, but I have you thought about trying out a B&W treatment for these pictures? The color of the grass generates a great contrast with the clouds in color, but I think it could be a power photo in B&W too.

Rich M

Love these two, Rich. I´m a guy who does mostly color photos, but I have you thought about trying out a B&W treatment for these pictures? The color of the grass generates a great contrast with the clouds in color, but I think it could be a power photo in B&W too.
Rawfa.....that's a great suggestion. Getting late here....I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Rawfa

Ok, so I´ve finally found some time to spend with the SB. I left home at around 6:30 am and arrived back at around 10:30am. I took the NEX7 with me along with a Canon 28mm 1.8 and a Canon 85mm 1.8 (I was using a sling pocket and by the end my back hurt from the weight). I have to say that the SB is amazing, but I would think twice about taking it to a trip that required fast shooting. Focusing with lenses that are already fast takes time and a steady hand. Enough talking now....here is my series for the day:

f/otographer

Michiel, super nice work with that Tamron. That lens was on a list of possibles for me, and still is from your lovely shots. Nicely done. And btw, thanks for all the info on the mirror lenses. Very informative.

Rich, excellent work as well. Im with Rawfa as well, black and white would have suited that shot. I would have loved to have seen it in the High Contrast B&W mode. But as it is the colors and composition are simply wonderful. Really nice work.

Rawfa...wow. I swear to god Im gonna hack into your computer and find out your processing method. :) Wonderful images all around. I especially like the trees lining the road. Crazy good composition and perfect focus drawing the eye inward. I can also feel the energy from the two elderly ladies doing Tai Chi. Excellent and admirable work.

f/otographer

A couple of snaps from a local parade today. Flektogon zebra on SB.

"I took the time to put all this crap on, Im gonna ham it up a bit." His exact words to me after taking his photo.

The Wrecking Crew