The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

V

Vivek

It has been a while, Paul. I still have some stock of Technidol!

Normally, I expose it for ISO400, pretty close to the current ISO of my Leica MM. :)

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks Vivek, it is now sort of my regular C/Y adapter.:)

I was wondering about the other brands of focal reducers. There is the Zhongui, from Mitakon I believe, but I see another type/brand as well.
The others are RJ adapters, I red.
Any knowledge about the differences between those?
The Zhonguis, are not as good as the Metabone Speedbooster but are the others any better?

V

Vivek

Michiel, The Speed Booster isn't just an adapter because of the optics involved and hence can not be compared (or confused with) the wannabes.

There are many aspects to the Speed Booster's design which takes care of a host of issues. The others are, at best, focal reducers which do not address several issues while using SLR lenses.

To add to the confusion surrounding the copy cat things, see here (reply from AndreaF):
Lens Turbo roadmap released. | sonyalpharumors

It appears that one thing being sold by RJ, MX, etc with different names or no names or the same! :eek:

turbines

I have 3 Pentax m42 lenses that I would like to use with my C/Y Speed Booster. All of the lenses screw easily on to any of the m42 Nex and m4/3 adapters I have on hand. All of my Contax and Yashica lenses attach and detach from the SB easily. But when I try to use an m42 - C/Y adapter I encounter the following problem. The adapters all attach and detach from the SB easily if no lens is mounted. The adapters also screw easily and completely on to all of the lenses as long as the adapter is not attached to the SB. When the adapters are installed on the SB the lenses cannot be threaded all the way on and probably lack a 1/4 turn or more from being fully on and infinity focus cannot be achieved. So far I have tried Kipon, Pixco and a generic adapter all with same problem. All appear to be of slightly different manufacture.

All help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Michiel Schierbeek

I have 3 Pentax m42 lenses that I would like to use with my C/Y Speed Booster. All of the lenses screw easily on to any of the m42 Nex and m4/3 adapters I have on hand. All of my Contax and Yashica lenses attach and detach from the SB easily. But when I try to use an m42 - C/Y adapter I encounter the following problem. The adapters all attach and detach from the SB easily if no lens is mounted. The adapters also screw easily and completely on to all of the lenses as long as the adapter is not attached to the SB. When the adapters are installed on the SB the lenses cannot be threaded all the way on and probably lack a 1/4 turn or more from being fully on and infinity focus cannot be achieved. So far I have tried Kipon, Pixco and a generic adapter all with same problem. All appear to be of slightly different manufacture.

All help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
Yes I know the problem. There is very little room in the register distances.
But still most of my lenses reach infinity. Sometimes I photograph with the lens screwed completly in the adapter but then the adapter cannot be locked in the Speedbooster. You have to hold the lens. Or the M42 adapter is locked and the lens cannot be completly turned in, but that does not always mean you cannot reach infinity.
May be I am not so much aware of it because for a lot of shots I don't need infinity.
But of course this all is nor perfect or ideal :lecture:

Michiel

turbines

Yes I know the problem. There is very little room in the register distances.
But still most of my lenses reach infinity. Sometimes I photograph with the lens screwed completly in the adapter but then the adapter cannot be locked in the Speedbooster. You have to hold the lens. Or the M42 adapter is locked and the lens cannot be completly turned in, but that does not always mean you cannot reach infinity.
May be I am not so much aware of it because for a lot of shots I don't need infinity.
But of course this all is nor perfect or ideal :lecture:

Michiel[/QUOTE

Thanks Michiel. It's good to know that I'm not alone and also good information to get out there for others. I guess it's one of those strange things we will have to adjust to. I also don't have any need to focus at infinity and yes it is probably close enough.

Paul

V

Vivek

I have the EOS speed booster. The EOS to m42 adapter (random purchase), does allow infinity focus with no trouble. C-Curtagon 35/2.8, Biotar75/1.5, and such (not sure what else I have or tried).

PS: Checked again and it is spot on with no issues. The adapter is eBay# 320951898301. I think I have bought the other adapters (EOS to NikonF, OlympusOM, etc) from the same seller. They work fine for me.

Last edited:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
From the SB office:

Yes! We will launch OM speed booster at end of month…PLs wait….
Pls pay attention on our website later….

Thank you!

Alex
GBI Ltd
Excellent; the OM lenses are the right form factor for the NEX 6, for me

kl

V

Vivek

Yes, the 50/1.2 and the 85/2 (1st version) size (both take 49mm filter) and performance can not be beat (btw, Kit, if you are looking for an OM 50/1.2, let me know. I ended up with 2 samples.).

f/otographer

A few more from the little Yashica Tessar, the ML Macro 55/4. And some more poorly emulated Meatyard.

refuse container #rz492

put me in coach

view from the bench

balancing act

the sunset electric

scho

Just received a C/Y SB and trying it with my Contax 28 f/2.8 Distagon. Inf focus was way off and couldn't achieve sharp focus past 15-20 feet. I had to rotate the optics about 3/4 of a turn counter clockwise to get inf focus adjusted. Seems to be working properly now, but corners are not as sharp compared to use with a simple C/Y to NEX adapter, but I guess that is to be expected. I'll try the 50 1.8 Planar tomorrow and see if inf focus is still OK or not.

First sample shot of soaking wet garden (been raining for 3 days here). This was at f/8, NEX 6.

f/otographer

A few from the Tamron adaptall 159a. One of the lesser adaptall lenses from the time period, but a decent performer nonetheless. All on the NEX 7 and sooc.