The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

V

Vivek

None needed in my case. As I might have mentioned here earlier, I was shocked to find out that EOS lenses are much faster than any other. For example, the Canon EF 50/1.8 is faster than the Planar ZM 50/1.4 or the Olympus OM 50/1.2 (all "mint" samples- all with the speed booster).

Annna T

None needed in my case. As I might have mentioned here earlier, I was shocked to find out that EOS lenses are much faster than any other. For example, the Canon EF 50/1.8 is faster than the Planar ZM 50/1.4 or the Olympus OM 50/1.2 (all "mint" samples- all with the speed booster).
How do you measure "faster" ? By using fixed ISO, or fixed shutter speed and considering the variation of the other parameter at max aperture ?

In this case, depending on the metering mode the importance of vignetting could explain part of the variation ? For instance, center weighted or spot metering in the center of the frame could change the results of a strong vignetting lens..

Manufacturers could use spot metering in the center to measure the max aperture when they know that their lens exhibits strong vignetting (are there any guidelines the manufacturers have to apply when evaluating how fast one lens is ? )

Annna T

Fix everything and note the shutter speed in A mode.
Which metering mode ?

Could vignetting play a role, supposing that you aren't using spot metering in the center ?

Is the Canon exhibiting a particularly low vignetting at max aperture ?

NB : it is not new that manufacturers are cheating somewhat when it comes to focal length or max aperture.

V

Vivek

In the lenses mentioned, the ZF 50/1.4 and the OM 50/1.2 have more fall off than the EF 50/1.8. I did not say that Zeiss or Oly cheated w.r.t the apertures. Rather, the Canon EF lenses have higher transmission- f/1.8 is even faster than the f/1.2 from another maker. May be they calibrate their meters differently.

No spot metering.

mazor

How many SB users have checked infinity focus at larger apertures? I have four Metabones boosters and all of them required a good deal of adjustment to get right.
I only had to fine tune the EF-Emount speedbooster for my Elmarit R 19mm. The rest of my Canon, Olympus OM, and nikkors all could focus to infinite without adjustment.

mazor

pegelli, the Metabones speedbooster works particularly well with Olympus OM lenses. Infact, I found the peformance of OM lenses better using speedbooster on my 5r than using them on an A7s!!

I too have the 24mm f2.8, and that lens is a very good performer wide open. Lately I acquired a OM 35mm f2.0. It is my current favorite lens ;)

pegelli

Thanks Mazor, so far I've been very happy with my speedbooster for OM lenses.

Yesterday I did a little testing of my OM Zuiko 50/1.4 + SB vs. the Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2 II. Exposure wise the difference between the (theoretical 35/1.0) of the boosted Olympus and the Nokton is negligible, for IQ aspects see below.

Here's the comparison (unedited in Lightroom, only WB set the same for all shots), both wide open at 50 cm distance (MFD for the Nokton, very close to MFD for the Olympus)

Olympus 50/1.4 + Speedbooster at f1.4 on the lens (so effective f1.0)

Nokton 35/1.2 II @ f1.2

Here the main flower looks a bit sharper, but that's mainly because the plane of focus is slightly deeper into the petals vs. the boosted Olympus version)

And a slightly different view
Olympus 50/1.4 + Speedbooster at f1.4 on the lens (so effective f1.0)

Nokton 35/1.2 II @ f1.2

Conclusion is that there is very little difference between the sharpness of the speedboosted Olympus and the Nokton, but that the bokeh of the Nokton is slightly smoother. Also the Nokton has slightly more contrast "out of the box", but nothing a little PP can't solve.

And just for fun, here's a shot with the 24/2.8 + SB wide open at MFD (25 cm). Amazing sharpness, contrast and bokeh not even too bad (considering the very busy buxus hedge background).

I've borrowed a Zuiko 35/2 once and liked it a lot, but since I already have 4 good 35's I didn't want to add a 5th to my collection. However if I ever run across one at a good price I'll probably cave in :facesmack:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I was in Tempe Camera yesterday and theTamron rep was there and she let me play with the 15-30 on her Sony A7II with adapter. Looks pretty nice but if you want my opinion it's a 18 wheel truck. Not sure it's for me

pegelli

Two more with the Zuiko 24/2.8 and the Metabones Speedbooster

4: Green meadow

5: Sheep and lambs

Does anybody have experience with the Mitakon lens turbo's (same principle). They're somewhat lower cost, but if it's at the expense of IQ it might not be worth it.

turbines

I have Mitakon on order and will post some samples after some trials. I don't believe it's currently available in OM mount but I wished it was. I also have the Olympus 24mm f2.8; it's a good one indeed.

mazor

I have Mitakon on order and will post some samples after some trials. I don't believe it's currently available in OM mount but I wished it was. I also have the Olympus 24mm f2.8; it's a good one indeed.
it is available in EF mount though. and Olympus OM adapts very easily to EF.

For me I use my Olympus 24mm f2.8 via OM-EF dumb adapter on my Metabones EF to nex speedbooster

Oly OM 35mm f2.0 @ 2.0 on speedbooster

Canon 300mm f4L @ 4.0 on speedbooster

Canon 16-35 f4L IS @ 4.0 on speedbooster

Last edited:

pegelli

Thanks, I would be interested in that. Since I already have a Metabones SB for OM I was thinking getting the Mitakon for my Minolta MC/MD lenses. But if it's a lot lower quality vs. the Metabones I might as well get the higher quality straight away (since that will happen anyway in case the Mitakon disappoints)

turbines

Thanks, I would be interested in that. Since I already have a Metabones SB for OM I was thinking getting the Mitakon for my Minolta MC/MD lenses. But if it's a lot lower quality vs. the Metabones I might as well get the higher quality straight away (since that will happen anyway in case the Mitakon disappoints)
I have Mitakon now in AI, PK and FD. All will disappoint due to sloppy construction. All of them rotate on NEX mount even after setting adapter to the locked position. The FD mount is particularly finicky when it comes to mounting. Optical quality seems to be pretty good but I can't live with the slop. I will likely return or sell and replace with Metabones.

pegelli

Thanks Paul, useful info. Maybe I'll test one out in a shop before buying since I'm most interested in good optical quality.

Wave patterns

NEX6 + OM Zuiko 85/2 + Metabones speedbooster

turbines

@ pegelli

The Metabones SB in OM mount was back ordered by B&H :(

Recently I've been playing with Samyang 35mm 1.4 with Mitakon and A6000. Initial results look pretty good but it sure is one big chuck of glass on that tiny body. When I get some decent images I will post a few here.