The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

When Sony bought the A mount

f/otographer

Back when Sony aquirred Konica/Minoltas camera technology does anyone know if that included all of the old Minolta manual focus Rokkor stuff as well? Its pretty obvious they got the AF items but I have often wondered if the pre-alpha tech/patents were included. And what about Konicas manual focus legacy stuff as well?

Just curious, because if for whatever reason they didnt then (heres hoping) Minolta could break into the mirrorless market with all its great Rokkor stuff in tow. A pipe dream, I know. :p

Shashin

No, the rights to the old Minolta mount, if there are any, remain with Konica Minolta. Konica Minolta has no interest in manufacturing camera, otherwise they would not have sold the camera division in the first place. They are happy selling optics to others.

Shashin

BTW, all the old lens design are lost, although I don't know why you would want them as there are far better designs around now for mirrorless. Definitely a pipe dream. Still, mount your old Rokkors on a mirrorless and make your own Minolta special.

V

Vivek

Just curious, because if for whatever reason they didnt then (heres hoping) Minolta could break into the mirrorless market with all its great Rokkor stuff in tow. A pipe dream, I know. :p
There was a bunch from Minolta's APS-C Vectis line and the pricier compacts with better (fixed focus) lenses as well. All the patents are there (expired, most likely) and you see them displayed/discussed in some Japanese sites from time to time. The Minolta zoom macro lens, for example, is a classic. Unlikely to be replaced. If an equivalent ever appears, it will be priced astronomically.

Most of those, from the film days, are not applicable to the current mirrorless bodies. They need to be modified, plastic added and the price tag hiked. Sony are doing a swell job of that. The better optics are made in collaboration with Zeiss and they are pricier.

f/otographer

Thanks for the input guys. Yah, I know its a pipe dream. But corporations change directions all the time and I would really like to see Minolta enter the fray again. They have a huge heritage in photography and to see the Rokkor name rise up again would be wonderful.

I would love to see an all metal mirrorless Minolta in the style of an SRT or even the Minolta CLE. I mean, Olympus has had very good success with the OM-D and there is no reason to believe others wouldnt have the same success if executed correctly. For instance, the Canon M is, in a word, BORING. Could you imagine if Canon would just chill out and release something along the lines of this rendering? (Scroll down a little over half way for the Canon AE-D)

The Complete, Continuously Updated Canon Mirrorless Rumor Roundup | THEME

Could you imagine if Canon came out with this? It would sell like hotcakes. I personally think they should bring back the Canon A-1 just as it was (minus the film advance of course). One of the best handling and best looking cameras ever. Slap a full frame sensor in there and and come out with a high quality set of New FD primes to go on there. Hell, the old A-1 wasnt even metal, but some crazy electro plated poly carbonate that felt just like metal. A digital A-1...now there is a dream come true.

It woudl be great to see a digital, mirrorless SRT-D come out with a nice line of metal, manual focus Rokkor primes with the style and size of the old lenses, but of course with updated optics and coatings. Yes, I said manual focus. Keep them small, keep quality high. I mean, Leica does it right? And they are incredibly popular, but in my opinion overpriced for what you actually get. Minolta could easily compete with boutique style Leicas but at a much more everyday price point. And Rokkor glass was some of the best back in the day. There is no reason it cant be again.

To many people are using old lenses on new mirrorless cameras for someone other then Leica not to cash in on this. I just wonder which company is going to have the balls to do it. Olympus really made headway with the OM-D. Heres hoping somebody takes the next step.

Shashin

But corporations change directions all the time and I would really like to see Minolta enter the fray again. They have a huge heritage in photography and to see the Rokkor name rise up again would be wonderful.
The talent is gone. All moved to Sony. Konica Minolta could never replace what they lost. Skilled human capital is vital is running these companies and once the people go, the knowledge needed to do this goes with them. While the idea of a digital CLE was brought up from time to time, the idea never went further as the people who worked on those cameras had all gone. One of Nikon's most expensive camera to produce was their anniversary S rangefinder. They had to relearn rangefinder production all over again.

Making cameras for lenses people already own is simply not cost effective. An interchangeable lens system needs lenses sales. Even Leica does not "cash in" on people who own old lenses.

baudolino

I personally think they should bring back the Canon A-1 just as it was (minus the film advance of course). One of the best handling and best looking cameras ever. Slap a full frame sensor in there and and come out with a high quality set of New FD primes to go on there.
While pipe dreaming, I think they should bring back the Pentax LX just as it was, minus the film advance of course :). Full frame, of course and, hey, the Limited AF lenses with full frame coverage are still in production :). And keep the viewfinder image as large and bright as it was in the original. Ok, back to reality...

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
While pipe dreaming, I think they should bring back the Pentax LX just as it was, minus the film advance of course :). Full frame, of course and, hey, the Limited AF lenses with full frame coverage are still in production :). And keep the viewfinder image as large and bright as it was in the original. Ok, back to reality...
Put the F3HP viewfinder on anything...Digital Holga!? and I am in....OK OT.

Back to the thread....

Bob

V

Vivek

One can always shoot with A1 or LX or F3HP. Film is still available.

f/otographer

You know, there is absolutely no reason they couldnt do that. :)