The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

so, when all is said and done...

back alley

do you still feel the rx1 is worth the money?

(clearly intended for rx1 owners)

i'm thinking about getting one...

joe

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Have not had as much fun nor easier camera to work with in this class for a long time....Great photos...very adequate AF...easy to set ISO manual shutter and aperture and exposure compensation in A mode.

Yes, thinking of adding another....

Bob

Justinl

Thats a very subjective question, to combine such a stunning lens, with a top of the range full frame sensor in a hand built compact body how can it be not worth the money when it has not been done before.

It isn't a camera for everyone, but Sony didn't intend it to be, it is an engineering feat par-excellence and of course compromises had to be made. However for me if you are happy with the 35mm and fixed lens and just contrast based AF it can't be beaten and probably won't be for a good few years.

The difference between using this and my older nex 7, nex 6 and Fuji x100 is night and day.

My two cents if you can afford it, get it.

back alley

Thats a very subjective question, to combine such a stunning lens, with a top of the range full frame sensor in a hand built compact body how can it be not worth the money when it has not been done before.

It isn't a camera for everyone, but Sony didn't intend it to be, it is an engineering feat par-excellence and of course compromises had to be made. However for me if you are happy with the 35mm and fixed lens and just contrast based AF it can't be beaten and probably won't be for a good few years.

The difference between using this and my older nex 7, nex 6 and Fuji x100 is night and day.

My two cents if you can afford it, get it.
my question was directed to owners/users in hopes that their experience with the camera might shed some wisdom on the 'value' of the user experience.
3k is a dear sum to me and not one that i would offer up easily.
yes, it's a personal/subjective view that i'm hoping for.
i played with the camera today and if it were priced at 2k i would have bought it on the spot...that extra 1k keeps me from moving ahead with the deal.
it's my turn to decide if it's worth it to me now.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
You are correct....

I walked from this camera for weeks...due to the price.

After trying a bunch of other options I realized there is not a camera or lens that is this inexpensive that offers the total package...match it at about 7K not 3K.

Within 6 - 12 months that 3K does not look so bad...that is taking into account the output from this and the usability.

It is a tough call...best of luck with the process.

Bob

Shashin

You are right, not an easy amount to spend. I think you need to be sure a fixed lens camera is something you can live with and a 35mm fixed lens at that. I have had plenty of experience with fixed lens camera so that part of it did not bother me. Actually, it was a bonus--you save more money with a fixed lens camera as you are not buying other lenses for it.

It is also my second camera. So I do have something a little more flexible.

You can take a little sting out of the price if you sign up for a Sony card. You can get points for the purchase which you can apply to the purchase of accessories through the Sony store. About $195 or so.

I imagine the RX-1 is going to be with me for a very long time. I find nothing wanting in the IQ. While in the future there will be a 35mm camera with better IQ (and maybe a better lens), I am unsure that anyone could see the difference in the photos. 24MP is nothing to sneeze at either.

But to be honest, I am not much of a gear hound. I like to see new cameras, but I don't find the need to buy them. If you like the chase, then I would give this purchase a pause. If you are wedded to the idea, then I think you may have a long and rewarding relationship. I certainly know some folks here that have dropped a grand on three things over the last year, and so expense is relative.

Godfrey

Played with one, finally, comparing it directly with my X2.
They're both very good cameras of this type.
But I can see no point to spending another thousand bux over the cost of the X2 for what delivers barely better quality, is a trifle larger, and is a bit more complicated to learn and use.

G

back alley

i also shoot with a pair of fujis...the x-pro1 and the x-e1...plus the 14/18/35/60 lenses...and the rx100 when i want something tiny to tag along.
i don't 'need' this camera...i do like fixed lens cameras and the 35mm pov is my favourite (save maybe the 40mm pov).

retow

It's definitly worth the money and yes, I'd buy it again. However, as a M9 owner, my bar might be low as far as the "worth it" is concerned.:facesmack:

Shashin

back alley, what is the RX-1 going to do for your that your other cameras can't? It would seem to me that in some ways this is a duplication. I can understand the lust for the RX-1. I am not sure the RX-1 is going to give you something that you don't already have. In my case, my other camera is a Pentax 645D.

back alley

back alley, what is the RX-1 going to do for your that your other cameras can't? It would seem to me that in some ways this is a duplication. I can understand the lust for the RX-1. I am not sure the RX-1 is going to give you something that you don't already have. In my case, my other camera is a Pentax 645D.
this is the stumbling block...i don't really need the rx1...it's pure lust on my part. and when the fuji 27 finally arrives and i put it on my x-e1 i think i may be in heaven...

Shashin

I know, you just want to be able to post on the "Fun with the RX-1" thread with the other cool people. ;)

I can certainly understand your hesitation. No right answer here. You could always ask you boss for a raise...

Tim

this is the stumbling block...i don't really need the rx1...it's pure lust on my part.
I suspect back alley you could afford a RX1 but is the question more should you afford it? - have I got that right? I have started to pare back my herd and recently just sold my X100, I sometimes dream to simplify things and that a RX1 would encompass everything I need and just quit the lot for a RX1 only. I doubt it would remain that way though.

On a side note, I don't want to start a DP2M comparison with the RX-1 but I bought a DP2M as I was looking for a high IQ field camera that's easily lugged. It was 1/3 the price but I think the RX1 is a different beast to the DP2M, I am sure the RX1 would have it all over the Sigma in low light and in the focus dept. The RX1 & DP2M would be good complimentary cameras IMO.

Like you, I have a lust for the RX1 because partly that its a fine instrument. A Timex keeps as good time as Rolex but the RX1 is more RoleX :LOL: like to me. A very well built device.

I think I may stay off the leading edge and go for an RX1 WHEN / IF there is ever a price drop.
Perhaps if ever a RX2 surfaces it may go cheaper? I suspect that a RX2 will have interchangeable lenses though.

I do recall the high end film compact being very expensive in the 90s. My Contax T2 was AU$1K used, I seem to recall the T3 being over $2K when released.
I bought a Leica CM new for AU$1600 or thereabouts, so items like the Sony Rx-100 and the GRD IV are bargains these days. At $3K ish the RX-1 doesn't seem too bad.

To me the BIG question is.. will an RX1 improve your images?

Justinl

my question was directed to owners/users in hopes that their experience with the camera might shed some wisdom on the 'value' of the user experience.
3k is a dear sum to me and not one that i would offer up easily.
yes, it's a personal/subjective view that i'm hoping for.
i played with the camera today and if it were priced at 2k i would have bought it on the spot...that extra 1k keeps me from moving ahead with the deal.
it's my turn to decide if it's worth it to me now.
Hi Back Alley, I totally understand where you are coming from. Personally to me the quality for me made the cost worth it. I sold a few older camera's so the actual cost wasn't too bad. I think with every camera you make compromises somewhere. I was seriously thinking of purchasing the XE-1 but they had stripped features from the XPro-1 too much I couldn't live with and ultimately the decision for a full frame sensor with a CZ lens I couldn't resist. I also think the quality of the pictures make it more than worth it to me.