The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My experience replacing my DSLR with a NEX-6 for Portraiture

kaptnkain

So I got an NEX-6 for the holidays from my girlfriend. Considering it's much more modern (and dense) sensor than my 40D, I thought I'd give it a shot as my main rig.

Wow was I surprised! The NEX fulfills all of my needs without fail. My only gripes would be not having enough buttons, and being about .5cm too short - however, a simple leather half case fixes this.

But anyways, on to the good stuff - the actual results. Each of these shots was taken with a Rokinon (Samyang) 85mm T/1.5 Cine lens. If anybody is wondering, the optics on this lens are the exact same as the Rokinon/Samyang/Opteka/Bower/Etc. 85mm F/1.4. Without a doubt, this lens is one of the best portrait lenses for a crop sensor camera that allows for consistently accurate MF at this DoFs (think focus peaking and MF assist). Virtually no distortion or vignetting.

A Girl Named Hope by I.Cherkasov, on Flickr

Middledistance by I.Cherkasov, on Flickr

Burying Luck by I.Cherkasov, on Flickr

Nice Guys by I.Cherkasov, on Flickr

Young Blood by I.Cherkasov, on Flickr

Safe to say, I absolutely love the NEX-6.

Thanks for looking :salute:

Nettar

Very nice portraits, kaptnkain! I really like them. Yes, an 85mm lens on that format is particularly attractive for portraits outdoors, not least because of the knife-like way it separates in-focus and out-of-focus areas, at large apertures. And the bokeh of that lens is very nice. You're handled this particularly well. (But unless one's studio is rather long in at least one direction, the lens is perhaps a bit long for indoor portraits on APS-C format!) Nettar

kaptnkain

Yes, the lens is a tad long for indoor full body portraiture. But beauty portraits are still great with the 85mm.

kaptnkain

Just a thought - For those who are more accustomed to FF shooting, the MetaBones SpeedBooster makes for an excellent companion to the NEX-6. Since the SB condenses the image onto the NEX's APS-C sensor, your lenses actually get sharper! It's pretty awesome actually - here are some completely acceptably sharp shots with the Nikkor 50mm F/1.2 with a speedbooster. It's a serious improvement in resolving power over the Nikkor on a regular FF camera.

After All by I.Cherkasov, on Flickr

When We Escape by I.Cherkasov, on Flickr

Tim

Impressive images, I like them. Excuse my lack of understanding but does this Rokinon 85mm on the NEX6 equate to about a 135 in 35mm film terms? Its a bit confusing as the lens is listed as a Sony NEX mount so do they express the 85mm as native to the NEX?

Just looking to clarify as it has a 135mm like seperation. Thanks

kaptnkain

Yes, the NEX has a 1.5x crop sensor, so the 85mm is equivalent to a 127mm lens on a 35mm.

Many of the photos above are actually expansions, too.